All my soft coral are unhappy simultaneously

CoralChaos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2019
Messages
400
Reaction score
233
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, about a week ago I noticed my soft corals started showing signs of stress and general unhappiness. My toadstools, crown leather, and finger leathers are ticked off and I have no idea why. I used to never run carbon, I recently added a bag of carbon to my filter sock to see if it'll help clear up toxins that can potentially cause my soft coral to be upset but it hasn't helped and it's been a couple of days since it's been in my tank. I have a mixed reef with a healthy amount of sps, lps, and soft coral and nothing has changed as far as parameters go and I haven't been doing anything differently besides actually doing water changes haha. I might be reaching when I say this but my crown leather has gotten to about 16 inches in diameter and has grown into the mp40s jet of water, i noticed the mp40 was violently blowing a jet of water on the top 1/4 of the crown leather and I thought maybe it's really stressing it out but I thought toxins would affect all my coral not just the soft coral. No other coral is showings signs of stress, on the contrary, all my other coral look better than ever. Any ideas on why all my soft coral can simultaneously be ticked off?

3633357B-472E-4688-8003-7E7862E0B080.png
 
Leathers generally emit terpenes which can be toxic to neighboring coral and yes carbon should remove
Assure leathers are getting proper flow although moderate is usually acceptable
If their getting a film on their surface, flow is inadequate
Sometimes giving leathers a few Gentle blasts from a turkey baster can perk them up
 
Agree with @Vetteguy. Thats a really large leather - and will release a lot of toxins if disturbed - perhaps not enough carbon is present. I had a leather that grew up to about 20 inches - which is when problems started with all the corals. I ended up - taking out the rock - and throwing it away (it did not survive the move) - everything did better thereafter. The good ?Bad news is that on that rock which I rinsed, scrubbed, and left in the dark for over a year and a half - The I saw a pea sized white thing - within 6 months its was a 6 inch copy of the leather. Thusfar I've let it grow - but its on a rock easily removed if needed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new