All purpose cement

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be glueing some pipe for a sump pretty soon here, I have an abs bulkhead that I am going to have to attach to my pvc. In an attempt to not have to buy to things of pvc cement, I bought a can of Oatey “All Purpose Cement” which says is works for abs and pvc. I wanted to see if you all thought this would hold up and be safe for all of the fittings, or should I return it and buy regular cement and a jar of abs transition cement? I couldn’t find anyone who had used this stuff for this purpose before. In a side note, do I need to use primer when I’m connecting the abs to the pvc? Thanks in advance

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be glueing some pipe for a sump pretty soon here, I have an abs bulkhead that I am going to have to attach to my pvc. In an attempt to not have to buy to things of pvc cement, I bought a can of Oatey “All Purpose Cement” which says is works for abs and pvc. I wanted to see if you all thought this would hold up and be safe for all of the fittings, or should I return it and buy regular cement and a jar of abs transition cement? I couldn’t find anyone who had used this stuff for this purpose before. In a side note, do I need to use primer when I’m connecting the abs to the pvc? Thanks in advance
It will be more than adequate for the pressures observed in our systems. just prep the pipes prior to cementing. Sand lightly and prime as needed. Chamfer the edges if you can.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that stuff on my mixing station(abs bulkheads), but used it on PVC to PVC also. Was very weak and I could break the seal with my hands. The ABS to PVC joint was rock hard, but PVC to PVC was weak.

I ended up using regular PVC cement on the PVC to PVC parts.

Pipe dope not needed on bulkheads either.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that stuff on my mixing station(abs bulkheads), but used it on PVC to PVC also. Was very weak and I could break the seal with my hands. The ABS to PVC joint was rock hard, but PVC to PVC was weak.

I ended up using regular PVC cement on the PVC to PVC parts.

Pipe dope not needed on bulkheads either.
Looks like I’ll grab some regular cement when I get the primer then. Thanks!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no primer for ABS...cleaner only...ABS is softer and the glue dissolves it more readily...primer for pvc to pvc...they do make clear primer but big box stores dont carry it...the purple dye is just so plumbing inspectors know you used it....i used the all purpose for everything...on the tank and in the house

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back