All Sps dying

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 going on 3 years old. I've been doing aminos for 4 months now and they have never made my nitrates go up for some reason and I've tried dosing more than it recommends for a week to see if that would help, but nothing.
Amino is Coral food. If your parameters are good then your tank is lacking bacteria diversity. Do u start with dry rock? If you are then your tank only have the nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria for converting amonia to nitrite and nitrate. I have a thread discussing your tank problem u can read more if you like.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds and looks like what a lot of reefers are leaning toward these days to explain these unexplained "tank crashes" where all or most acros are dying and others appear fine, but all tank numbers look pretty good. I've had it happen before. Never did nail it down.
Lately I've been seeing talk and theory and even new products in one case, that claim a Viral or bacterial disease attack that rips through colonies a period of time after a stress event.
In some of these cases aquarists are using a Chemi clean treatment for its antibacterial properties to halt the disease cycle with what appears to be some success. And as I mentioned earlier one company even recently released a product to fight this. I'll try to find a link and post back.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I remove GFO, should I do it all at once or gradually, and should I try to keep phosphates around .1? will fluctuating nutrients cause issues?

Last edited:

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the replys, guys. This is really driving me crazy. I will try getting my nitrates up. Other than feeding more and getting more fish, are there any products that you guys recommend to get no3 up?
You can feed your corals something like Reef Chili. This wil raise nutrients and feed your corals!

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be likely youre having issues with no N and P and too high of alk. Lower your alk to 7.0-7.5 tops and get NO3 registering. Test your PO4 again and make sure it’s really above 0.03 ppm. Remove your gfo or cut the amount used in half if it’s lower than that. Sounds and looks like they’re nutrient deprived.

also, how clean is your source water? How old is your tank? Have you par tested your tank?
this

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It stood out to me that your flow seems very low for a 150 gallon SPS dominated system. The look of your coral sort of indicate that as well. The Nero 5 is a great pump, but it would take several more of them to get that water moving properly. Looks like you have two additional 2100 GPH pumps as well. If it were my system I'd be adding a Gyre or a couple MP40's to increase volume exchange and then go from there.

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be likely youre having issues with no N and P and too high of alk. Lower your alk to 7.0-7.5 tops and get NO3 registering. Test your PO4 again and make sure it’s really above 0.03 ppm. Remove your gfo or cut the amount used in half if it’s lower than that. Sounds and looks like they’re nutrient deprived.

also, how clean is your source water? How old is your tank? Have you par tested your tank?

When I remove GFO, should I do it all at once or gradually, and should I try to keep phosphates around .1? will fluctuating nutrients cause issues?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, seeing how your PAR is good, your flow *might* be an issue (I have great growth for many acros in low light and flow, but not saying this isn't the issue), I'd tackle the PO4 first (although ICP shows 0.03, which should be enough). I'd remove all the GFO and replace it with 1/3-1/2 the amount for now IF you need to run it. How much fish do you have and how often are you feeding?

to give you an idea, in my 240 I have 35 fish and feed 6+ times a day. I don't suspect its your flow for now.

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, seeing how your PAR is good, your flow *might* be an issue (I have great growth for many acros in low light and flow, but not saying this isn't the issue), I'd tackle the PO4 first (although ICP shows 0.03, which should be enough). I'd remove all the GFO and replace it with 1/3-1/2 the amount for now IF you need to run it. How much fish do you have and how often are you feeding?

to give you an idea, in my 240 I have 35 fish and feed 6+ times a day. I don't suspect its your flow for now.
I don't think it's my flow. When I had polyp extension, they were getting tossed around pretty good. The reason I run gfo is because my po4 would get upwards of .1 to .14. Nitrates always around 0 to 2, but staying steady at 2 right now. I have 12 fish atm, the largest being a sailfin Tang and a foxface, with mostly smaller fish like leopard wrasses and goby's. I feed a large amount 2 times a day. All I'm able to feed due to work.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's my flow. When I had polyp extension, they were getting tossed around pretty good. The reason I run gfo is because my po4 would get upwards of .1 to .14. Nitrates always around 0 to 2, but staying steady at 2 right now. I have 12 fish atm, the largest being a sailfin Tang and a foxface, with mostly smaller fish like leopard wrasses and goby's. I feed a large amount 2 times a day. All I'm able to feed due to work.
I wouldn't sweat 0.10 ppm PO4, I'd try running less GFO and maybe get an auto feeder if you need it.

From you what you say 2 ppm NO3 and PO4 of 0.03+ should be plenty, but you shouldn't worry if it creeps to 0.10+. SPS have a difficult time without PO4. I'd rather have to deal with *potential* algae issues than dead acros.

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had this show up on my rocks and sand a couple weeks ago.
20200109_111236.jpg
Forgot to put it in the pics.

20200109_111225.jpg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had this show up on my rocks and sand a couple weeks ago.
20200109_111236.jpg
Forgot to put it in the pics.

20200109_111225.jpg
some algae or maybe green cyano? I wouldn't worry man. Your N and P levels may be too low, that's really the only thing that sticks out. Were they colorful, then faded/looked dry, then had TN?

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some algae or maybe green cyano? I wouldn't worry man. Your N and P levels may be too low, that's really the only thing that sticks out. Were they colorful, then faded/looked dry, then had TN?
Don't think it's cyano, but algae all of a sudden? They weren't the best looking after the stump remover, but started to grow and color up again........then this happened, so it's really hard for me to say.

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that a few of them turned a dark blue/purple before all this started.

OP
OP
BaldyBob

BaldyBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:

Over the last 3 weeks or so, I started feeding more, and dosing Green Leaf Aquarium KNo3 to raise my nitrates. I was testing everyday with the red sea nitrate kit (high range), and it never seemed to move off 4-8, so I assumed the nitrates were getting consumed. after 2 weeks of this i became suspicious, so i ordered a salifert nitrate test kit. I tested water as soon as it came in and it shows 25ppm nitrates vs red seas 4-8 (hard to read). I have an API nitrate kit as well, so i tested with it and it shows 25+ nitrates. I know API isnt as accurate, but it should give a ball park figure. So, my LPS and zoas have never looked better, but my sps are still suffering, and im assuming it is because i went from 2 to 25 nitrate over 2 weeks. I've been doing small water changes throughout the week to try and get the nitrates down to 10. Should I worry with it or let things be for now? Seems i cant win for losing here lately. Again, thanks for all the previous help and thanks in advance for the future help!

current parameters

Salinity 1.025
Ca 450
Mg 1600
Alk 9.5
Nitrates 25
Phos .08

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back