AlO overflow, skimmer, and return line question

doork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I purchased this AIO 80 gallon shallow aquarium with the chambers siliconed into the back left corner of the tank. There are two chambers, one for the skimmer and one to house the small return pump. I've been using these chambers for approximately a year, but they are noisy and really don't add any benefit other than concealing some of the equipment. I would like to abandon the return pump and maybe just use the skimmer compartment to hide the skimmer, but I'm not sure if this is possible. If I were to take out the return pump and keep the skimmer, would the outlet water from the skimmer slowly trickle out into the display from the teeth, or will it stay "stuck" in those two chambers? I've thought about trying to remove the box altogether, but a little nervous about the caulk job at the bottom as it ties into the caulk job around the bottom of the tank. Wondering what options I have? I wouldn't mind having my heater and skimmer showing in the display. Quick illustration attached.
OF.png

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water will stay stagnant in the box without the return to circulate it. Not sure how u could mod it to make it better...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I purchased this AIO 80 gallon shallow aquarium with the chambers siliconed into the back left corner of the tank. There are two chambers, one for the skimmer and one to house the small return pump. I've been using these chambers for approximately a year, but they are noisy and really don't add any benefit other than concealing some of the equipment. I would like to abandon the return pump and maybe just use the skimmer compartment to hide the skimmer, but I'm not sure if this is possible. If I were to take out the return pump and keep the skimmer, would the outlet water from the skimmer slowly trickle out into the display from the teeth, or will it stay "stuck" in those two chambers? I've thought about trying to remove the box altogether, but a little nervous about the caulk job at the bottom as it ties into the caulk job around the bottom of the tank. Wondering what options I have? I wouldn't mind having my heater and skimmer showing in the display. Quick illustration attached.
OF.png
For an 80g that is poorly built. It leaves you with basically no room for anything else. What are you doing about filtration? I’d almost go with a new tank with a better design. I agree that you can’t forego the return pump. Without it, your skimmer won’t even be put to use in that box.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back