ALOT of low numbers during fallow :( need some advice.

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I need a bit of advice here on a few issues.
First off my tank is fallow due to ich there IS inverts in the tank such as snails and 3 shrimp tank is about 130gal.
I recently had a hair algae outbreak (my tank has been up for about a year and a half but I got 2 Xr30s upgraded from a really cheap light which I think sparked it)
The hair algae is near gone thanks to my inverts and running some GFO Phosphate ranges from about 0.02 - 0.05 depending on when I test and when I feed corals.
The problems I am having is REALLY low nitrates since I am Fallow atm I have been trying to keep up with feeding corals RN oyster feast, RN phytoplankton, and red seas AB+.
I try to throw in a few pellets for the shrimp but I dont think this is keeping up with what I need for nitrates to stay atleast detectable and I do not want a Dino outbreak what should i do? I turned off the protein skimmer tonight thinking I shouldnt be skimming 24/7 with no fish in the tank not sure if this will help or not. I still have GFO in the tank to try and rid of all the hair algae left and (some) diatoms.
The other BIG issue I am having is keeping Alkalinity, calcium, and PH stable or even in a good range. Tonight I tested alk at 6.8 DKH and Calc at 370ppm my Mag seems to be fine so do I just start playing with some kalk wasser I am really not sure what to do here.
As far as corals in the tank I have some Torches, hammers, polyps, Goni's, and Zoas.
Any advice would HUGELY be appreciated.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose more to maintain alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

If you are feeding a lot of foods, especially amino acids, you are supplying a Nitrogen source. Generally, corals don’t really care for nitrate, compared to ammonia, amino acids, and particulate foods.

If you want your nitrates higher, dose sodium nitrate: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/post-your-diy-additives-here.344149/#post-4288139

Or possibly better yet, ammonia dosing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-nitrate-systems.987087/

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose more to maintain alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

If you are feeding a lot of foods, especially amino acids, you are supplying a Nitrogen source. Generally, corals don’t really care for nitrate, compared to ammonia, amino acids, and particulate foods.

If you want your nitrates higher, dose sodium nitrate: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/post-your-diy-additives-here.344149/#post-4288139

Or possibly better yet, ammonia dosing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-n-systems.987089/

Good luck!
What’s the best to dose here though? Do I get some kalkwasser or look at a 2 part solution? I am also very confused on how I’m going to figure out the rate at which it’s being used so that I can correctly dose the ATO

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best to dose here though? Do I get some kalkwasser or look at a 2 part solution? I am also very confused on how I’m going to figure out the rate at which it’s being used so that I can correctly dose the ATO
Ultimately, it is your choice. All the methods work well, but they all have their own pros and cons.

Since you mainly have LPS corals, IMO, kalkwasser is great because of it has one of the highest pH boost per alkalinity dosed, it is one additive only, affordable, and is ionically balanced (meaning, you won’t have sodium and chloride accumulating).

I personally think it’s great. You need to first raise your alkalinity and calcium with this calculator:

Calculator for alkalinity. You can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and follow the instructions for dosing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/alkalinity-calculator-reef

Here’s the calcium calculator: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/reef-calcium-calculator

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to Use Kalkwasser with an ATO System

Step 1.
Test and adjust your aquariums calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels using BRS Calcium Chloride, BRS Sodium Bicarbonate, and BRS Magnesium for General Adjustments.

Step 2. Start by establishing the proper amount of kalkwasser to mix into your aquariums top off water reservoir.

• Low Demand - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of top off water
  • Medium Demand - 1 teaspoon per gallon of top off water
  • High Demand - 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of top off water
Step 3. With RODI water fill your top off reservoir & mix in the proper amount of kalkwasser then allow the solution to settle for 30 minutes before using.

DO NOT OVERMIX: Excess mixing and air contact will decrease the potency of kalkwasser.

Step 4. Place your ATO systems pump or intake line is place 1/2" to 1" above the base of your reservoir, ensuring only the clear slurry is being dosed.

Step 5. Activate your ATO and monitor the pH of your aquarium as the kalkwasser solution is being dosed, not exceeding increases of 0.20 pH. Your ATO should be pumping water into a high flow area of your sump or display tank to help prevent precipitation. Adding kalkwasser too fast may result in precipitation rendering it ineffective.

Step 6. Monitor your aquariums calcium and alkalinity daily, adjusting the strength of the kalkwasser solution in your top off reservoir as necessary.

These instructions were from here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kalkwasser-calcium-hydroxide-bulk-reef-supply.html

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, it is your choice. All the methods work well, but they all have their own pros and cons.

Since you mainly have LPS corals, IMO, kalkwasser is great because of it has one of the highest pH boost per alkalinity dosed, it is one additive only, affordable, and is ionically balanced (meaning, you won’t have sodium and chloride accumulating).

I personally think it’s great. You need to first raise your alkalinity and calcium with this calculator:

Calculator for alkalinity. You can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and follow the instructions for dosing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/alkalinity-calculator-reef

Here’s the calcium calculator: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/reef-calcium-calculator
So just to be clear I should do baking soda to raise alk and then maintain using kalkwasser? I was under the assumption kalk wasser would raise it on its own just trying to be clear. Btw thank you very much for the time and advice

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to be clear I should do baking soda to raise alk and then maintain using kalkwasser? I was under the assumption kalk wasser would raise it on its own just trying to be clear. Btw thank you very much for the time and advice
Kalkwasser will elevate alkalinity and calcium in the same proportion.

You need to dose baking soda for alkalinity and calcium chloride for calcium. Those are the same ingredients people use for 2 part.

Kalkwasser isn’t good for making very large adjustments because it will raise the pH too much in very large quantities.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser will elevate alkalinity and calcium in the same proportion.

You need to dose baking soda for alkalinity and calcium chloride for calcium. Those are the same ingredients people use for 2 part.

Kalkwasser isn’t good for making very large adjustments because it will raise the pH too much in very large quantities.
So I’ve got reef builder from seachem and aqua vitro fuel will these be sufficient or should I grab baking soda? I’m not sure if the aqua vitro is calcium chloride

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with nitrate being at 0 when I also had a lot in the refugium. Nitrate is low because algae is eating it - but that's fine. There's a world of difference between 0 nitrate in a sterile tank and 0 nitrate in a tank with mature live rock / algae / a packed refugium. Dosing or overfeeding for nitrate when you've got algae growing seems silly.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with nitrate being at 0 when I also had a lot in the refugium. Nitrate is low because algae is eating it - but that's fine. There's a world of difference between 0 nitrate in a sterile tank and 0 nitrate in a tank with mature live rock / algae / a packed refugium. Dosing or overfeeding for nitrate when you've got algae growing seems silly.
I don’t really have issues per say with the corals atm I mean I have a hammer who’s not very happy but who’s to say that’s nitrate causing it I’m assuming it’s more my alk and calcium problem. I just don’t want the bacteria to die before I put the fish back in

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s alkalinity (you can use that for alkalinity)

That’s an amino acid. Not calcium.
I’m sorry I have no idea why I said fuel (facepalm) I have calcification by aqua vitro

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I highly recommend kalkwasser (limewater). :)
I saw a calculator for reef builder on seachems website should I follow this? I think I might pick up a hanna alk tester too as I am not really a fan of trying to compare colors on the red sea.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a calculator for reef builder on seachems website should I follow this? I think I might pick up a hanna alk tester too as I am not really a fan of trying to compare colors on the red sea.
I would assume yes, but I never tried it. The calculator says meq/L, so make sure you convert the dKH to that if that’s the same calculator you were referring to.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really have issues per say with the corals atm I mean I have a hammer who’s not very happy but who’s to say that’s nitrate causing it I’m assuming it’s more my alk and calcium problem. I just don’t want the bacteria to die before I put the fish back in
Bacteria will be fine. But people go haring off after nitrates all the time under the belief that they are 'too low'. All that trying to raise them will do is make the algae grow faster. Sounds like your also about to go off chasing a bunch of other numbers too when stability is far more important to keeping coral than the exact number. Do this:

1) Do a water change.
2) Measure Calcium/Magnesium/Alk.
3) Wait a week.
4) Measure again.

The difference is your weekly dose. Dose that and don't worry about hitting some target number, only worry about replacing what's used up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back