Already Quarantined

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish arriving tomorrow from LA's Diver's Den. They are going in QT, but how long would you suggest they stay in? And would you treat with anything prophylactically or strictly observe?
I usually do a 6 week QT and treat with PraziPro, but Diver's Den already does so much I'm not sure it's beneficial (maybe even potentially harmful) to further treat.
Thoughts?

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read up on Diver's Den's QT procedure. My concern would be, do they ACTUALLY do it. Maybe a 30 day observation period would be a good start, just in case they actually do what they say they do. If you notice any issues, treat as needed and start the clock over again. Just my $.02. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD doesn't do as much prophylactic treatment as most people think. Most fish are only QT'd for two weeks and observed. If obvious symptoms show, the fish is treated with various dips/baths. However IME; dips/baths are never enough for 100% eradication. I believe clownfish are QT'd for 4 weeks and prophylactically treated for Brook. They do feed all fish with prazi soaked food, but since I know so many people who have gotten DD specimens with flukes... I question how effective that really is.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this on their website:
In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans.

This is something new - or I just never noticed it before. I wonder if they are talking about ALL DD specimens or just fish that show symptoms of external parasites. I wonder because they sell many scaleless fish (seahorses, pipefish, sharks, rays, etc.) which cannot tolerate copper. Also, treating a fish with formaldehyde is a double edged sword as it is a known carcinogen. I reserve formalin baths only for fish with obvious symptoms of brook & velvet. And I'm always looking for a better alternative - think I just found it in Acriflavine.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%

Back