Alternating Coral growth foods

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal reef tank that's doing quite well after I started adding foods to them. I was just curious if anyone has tried alternating foods? For instance every Friday I feed my fish with Mysis, then I add polyp booster/Reef Roids which I highly recommend and then I do my water change/cleaning that evening. I was dosing with AB+, but now I have two types of coral foods, and should I maybe alternate or like Tuesday/Wednesday be dosing AB+ ? Has anyone else ever tried that or is that just giving my tank too many nutrients?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have had great success mixing multiple coral foods together with the AB + . If you have the AB+ and reef roids you can mix them together and use proportionately . If your nutrients get high try making a thicker viscosity paste with the reef roids and using AB + then spot feed your corals . As my tanks matured and coral grew I actually have the opposite effect where my nutrients are being taken up by the coral and have to feed more often

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20gal reef tank that's doing quite well after I started adding foods to them. I was just curious if anyone has tried alternating foods? For instance every Friday I feed my fish with Mysis, then I add polyp booster/Reef Roids which I highly recommend and then I do my water change/cleaning that evening. I was dosing with AB+, but now I have two types of coral foods, and should I maybe alternate or like Tuesday/Wednesday be dosing AB+ ? Has anyone else ever tried that or is that just giving my tank too many nutrients?
I like reefroids too but mostly spot feed that to my corals. The only time I feed something on water column is benepets and it doesn’t cause a spike or nutrients just follow directions and mix with some tank water

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have had great success mixing multiple coral foods together with the AB + . If you have the AB+ and reef roids you can mix them together and use proportionately . If your nutrients get high try making a thicker viscosity paste with the reef roids and using AB + then spot feed your corals . As my tanks matured and coral grew I actually have the opposite effect where my nutrients are being taken up by the coral and have to feed more often
That's awesome!!!! How often did you feed?

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like reefroids too but mostly spot feed that to my corals. The only time I feed something on water column is benepets and it doesn’t cause a spike or nutrients just follow directions and mix with some tank water
Yeah, I put in the polyp booster and wait like 10mins then I spot feed with reef roids. It's really cool seeing all the corals eat.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I put in the polyp booster and wait like 10mins then I spot feed with reef roids. It's really cool seeing all the corals eat.
It’s my favorite thing in the hobby, watching these alien looking plants gobble up a protein fish powder, amazing

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2x per week, the reefroids about 2x as well. They also have the ocasional TDO pellets that end up falling on them that I feed my fish so you can say they’re always well fed.
I think im going to dose ab+on Wednesdays and the do reef roids + waterchange on Fridays and see how my tank handles it.... slow and steady wins the race!!!!

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to dose ab+on Wednesdays and the do reef roids + waterchange on Fridays and see how my tank handles it.... slow and steady wins the race!!!!
Let me know how your corals like it… I have a bottle of it just sitting on my fridge I once won at a reefapalooza but haven’t opened it

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live phyto daily, also 1 of the following; acropower, reef chili, Oyster eggs, Zooplankton, marine snow

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also mix phytoplankton, snow , and benepets with the reef roids and AB+ , if you phosphates are high use the benepets in place of reef roids

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use brightwell coralamino one day and ab+ the next. Using ab+ along cause my algae to grow too much. Just anecdotal stuff. I use phyto, LRS reef frenzy, live phyto, brs golden pearls, very little reef chilli, and recently pns yellow sno. Seeing how thats gonna go for the next 3- 6 months

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me about Benepets?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me about Benepets?
One of the members here recommended it to me and it’s great. I usually also use the polyp booster 10 minutes before and take some tank water and mix according to tank volume. I feed 2x per week in water column and the corals love it

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the members here recommended it to me and it’s great. I usually also use the polyp booster 10 minutes before and take some tank water and mix according to tank volume. I feed 2x per week in water column and the corals love it
I never heard of Benepets. Do you have any links for it ?

thx

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back