Alternative to Live Aquaria

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read they would do well in groups and they stay fairly small. However, I really wanted Talbots and or Smith's and they are just not available anywhere. I love the azures (kupang) as I have had them before in my 210g and they are very peaceful. We will see how my 4stripes do. I may just add them to my more aggressive tank with clowns and carpets. We will see in qt how it goes.
I have had Blackmouths (as I was told they stay small and after research knew they grew large, but wanted to try them). What a nightmare! They are very aggressive and large! Do not be fooled by the cute juveniles yellow and black stripes.
Time to go see the babies in qt!

Try these instead of the 4 stripe. More expensive but way less aggressive

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered those guys (Tuxedos) along with some Talbot's I finally found. Thought I would give Liveaquaria one more try as I have my qt tanks running again and ready to go.
My Reefs4Less order is so far good. One of the 4stripes is looking iffy, but all other fish are out eating and seem okay. When I start my meds, I hope they all continue to do well. I want them eating before possibly suppressing the appetite with meds.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, added 3 tuxedo damsels, 3 talbot damsels, one yellow coris wrasse, 2 yellow striped cardinals (one DOA) from Liveaquaria to the qt. Everyone is doing great and we start propholactic treatments tonight after water change. My 4 stripes have already stated as they are in a different system.
I also got two clarkii deluxes from ORA. They are absolutely adorable. They are captive bred and came directly from ORA, so they went into DT.
Here are some pics. My phone is not so good and fish are not cooperative. :) 20200208_174205[1].jpg 20200213_103335.jpg 20200213_103347.jpg

Attachments

• 20200213_103423[1].mp4
    28.4 MB

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. How large of a tank do you have? Having three of each type may leave one getting picked on once they form pairs if your tank isn’t big enough.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year or so Live Aquaria quality and service has really fallen off. Today was the last time I will use them. I'm looking for an alternative. I don't have a Lfs near me. Here's the story. I ordered a leaopard wrasse from Divers Den and 3 cleaner shrimp from the regular live Aquaria site. The fish came doa ice cold. No heat packs in the box!! They never shipped the shrimp. I called and they couldn't tell me why the order did not ship or when it would. This seems to be happening more and more often. It's really unfortunate. They used to be great. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the drop off in quality.

I really really love @Dr. Reef 's service! He has QuarantinedFish.us/ which provides special order fish pre-quarantined and then delivered at your door. This means that you are getting healthy fish, free of major diseases, and eating shipped direct to your door. His prices are reasonable, and in some cases, even cheaper than other online vendors, but you're getting an amazingly healthy fish.

I recently worked with him to order two sunburst anthias, one rhomboid wrasse, and an exquisite wrasse. They arrived to my house well-packed, healthy, and nearly instantly integrated into my reef. They're out and about, eating, and gorgeous! My rhomboid wrasse is still a juvenile male, but already his gorgeous colors are starting to show. I'm excited that I'll get to watch him mature and gain the deep purples and golds that are so renowned in the species. The customer service he showed as well was above and beyond.

I've also ordered two captive bred angels from POMA LABS. I love them! My blueline angel is engaging and constantly moving around the tank searching for algae. His pattern is beautiful and unique, and at just over two inches, he still has plenty of growing to do. My singapore angel is also gorgeous, and his colors are vibrant in the tank. He's constantly on the lookout for food, and readily accepts anything I put in the tank. The fish arrived extremely well packaged, and practically started eating within hours of going in the tank. I adore these two fish so much!

I cannot say enough about the quality of service and fish from both of these vendors!

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salgado aquatics is a great option and has amazing prices

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say... those adorable clarkii may end up worse than the 4 stripes, as serial killers... be prepared to get them out if they start attacking other fish

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to use one of the pre-qted fish for my triggers or angels in the future. I can handle the smaller guys.

To answer above, yes, I have plenty of room for the fish. I have kept many in my 210g before with lots of space to hide, they are good. My 210g is 7ft long (a bit odd size cuz custom built) by 2ft wide. Cannot wait to get them all in. 30 days and counting. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had clarkiis in the past. I do have a carpet nem tank if needed. I had to remove clarkiis due to my blackfoots in the past. I do not mind those terrors. My other fish should be able to handle it. :)

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year or so Live Aquaria quality and service has really fallen off. Today was the last time I will use them. I'm looking for an alternative. I don't have a Lfs near me. Here's the story. I ordered a leaopard wrasse from Divers Den and 3 cleaner shrimp from the regular live Aquaria site. The fish came doa ice cold. No heat packs in the box!! They never shipped the shrimp. I called and they couldn't tell me why the order did not ship or when it would. This seems to be happening more and more often. It's really unfortunate. They used to be great. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the drop off in quality.

I really miss Foster and Smith.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a lot from Liveaquaria. their quality might have went down hill and big price tag now but their customer service is what gotten me to come back. they have good customer service IMO although they had recently changed from full refund to store credit. still better than most only store out there.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, all fish from Reefs4Less are doing fine. Eating, currently being medicated and seem colorful and happy. Even the striped with the faded markings looks better.
However, the fish from Liveaquaria are not fairing as well. The three yellow striped cardinals are dead along with my yellow coris wrasse. All dead in 36 hrs. The damsels are doing fine and look good. On second day of meds in that qt.
so score from Reefs4Less: 20fish purchased 1 dead in 12 hours.
Liveaquaria: 10 fish purchased, 4 dead in 36hrs.
Now the fish ordered were hardier from Reefs4Less (except the tang). The cardinals and yellow coris are known bad shippers, so there is that too.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only be buying from these specialized TRUE QUARANTINED and conditioned vendors going forward:

1. Humblefish Aquatics, LLC
  2. Marine Collectors
  3. Quarantined Fish, LLC
  4. Quarantined Marine

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if anyone cares, one of my Tuxedo damsels from Liveaquaria died last night. He had spots and was labored breathing and not eating well like the rest for a couple days. Poor thing. Also, the tiniest of the 4striped passed today from Reefs4Less.
So, I have refunds from Liveaquaria, but I hate having fish die. So wasteful. No guarantee from Reefs4Less.
If all my fish die, I will let you all know. Otherwise, I am done tracking them. They are working through protocol and hope they all survive.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something you forget to tell us when going to this site?

514FB401-B294-481A-AEED-26245619E1BC.png
I was as surprised as you for this. Now I’m looking for another alternative to LA. Reefs4less looks promising. Prices are on the better side. I still need to order: hippo tang, naso, firefish, pencil wrasse, moorish idol, and blue throat trigger.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to order: hippo tang, naso, firefish, pencil wrasse, moorish idol, and blue throat trigger.
Can’t think of anyone that had long term success with a pencil wrasse. IMO, moorish idols are iffy at best.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back