Alternative to media bags?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a nano tank, no room for reactors so use media bags, I feel I’m not getting the most out of the media with this method (carbon+Purigen) , the bags also tend to collect a fair amount of detritus, which in turn will be making the bags even less effective, does anyone know a good alternative? Needs to be small, I’m thinking some kind a plastic tube with holes/mesh on both ends? Similar to a reactor but smaller and without the pump?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So water would run thru it in one of your rear chambers? I wonder if you could make something out of pvc, like with nylon window screen on the ends?

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So water would run thru it in one of your rear chambers? I wonder if you could make something out of pvc, like with nylon window screen on the ends?

Yeah, I feel with some kind of tube there would be room for the media to move around so be more effective, with the bags the media just seems to clump together, add to that the detritus build up on the bags, it doesn’t seem the most effective use of the media, cleaning the bags is also a slight pain.
Thought about trying to make something but was thinking there must be something already on the market, the smallest reactor I can find is the IM minimax but that is still on the large size and would stick up out of the back chamber.

Last edited:

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use any mechanical filtration before the bags to help with the detritus issue? When I had an aio I used a media rack and had filter pads on top, then media in bags on the other levels.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use any mechanical filtration before the bags to help with the detritus issue? When I had an aio I used a media rack and had filter pads on top, then media in bags on the other levels.

Yes filter wool changed daily, I had the same setup as you but changed to filter wool on the top rack level, then filled the rest of the rack with biological media, moved the carbon and purigen to the middle chamber, makes cleaning the biological media easier in the rack and squeezing the bags of media in the rack I felt was not helping the media be most effective.

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes filter wool changed daily, I had the same setup as you but changed to filter wool on the top rack level, then filled the rest of the rack with biological media, moved the carbon and purigen to the middle chamber, makes cleaning the biological media easier in the rack and squeezing the bags of media in the rack I felt was not helping the media be most effective.
Sounds like a good setup to keep water flowing nicely in between.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good setup to keep water flowing nicely in between.

It works really well, having the biological media loose in the rack has reduced the number of media bags I need to use (and clean), which cuts down on places for detritus to collect, and also has good flow going through the biological media.

Think I’ll try and make a small reactor if nothing is available to buy.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 gallon cube and I am using a Fluval filter, I use these with sponge and media and chemi pure blue nano.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back