Alternative to moorish idol?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why people really like moorish idols when this fish looks really really similar (almost identical) and easier to keep?

0D638B7C-2298-4B61-8708-DC29A5AD7834.png

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are also false moorish idols or schooling bannerfish. I dont personally think the fish are nearly identical though, colors are a bit different and much finer scales on moorish idol. The face of a moorish as well is quite unique imo for most fish, making it more interesting. I think most came from hawaii anyway so we should see a price increase as well as lower stocks in the future. Cool fish but not worth the risk of keeping them for it just to perish.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol and yea its a pretty popular movie, but does everyone need to name there clownfish nemo or marlin?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In person the Morish Idol and the Banner fish look very different. Also The Morish Idol is more Coral Safe than the butterflyfish.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's in part an ego thing. I've had friends get Moorish Idols and proudly tell me they've got them to eat but give it time and they don't have it anymore. The Heniochus acuminatus does look very similar and I've had people mistake them for Moorish Idols (a couple times knowing my position on keeping them hypocracy on my part has been suggested). I haven't had issues with Heniochus acuminatus eating corals and they do very well with just pellets but I haven't had much luck with the other heniochus species adjust to accepting pellets and requiring frozen foods.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back