Alternative ways to dose kalkwasser, not happy with kalk stirrer

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an alternative way to dose kalkwasser that requires less maintenece than a kalkwasser stirrer?

I'm using the Avast K2 kalk stirrer and I find that the conductivity of the kalkwasser drops much too rapidly leading to fluctuations in alkalinity.

Here are some graphs to illustrate my point:

On 10/30 I cleaned and freshly refilled the kalk stirrer with 2 cups of calcium hydroxide (Reef Blueprint brand). Upon refilling, the conductivity in the stirrer was 12. Within 5 days the conductivity drops to 10.9.

1.png

Eight days after refilling I added another 1/2 cup calcium hydroxide which brought the conductivity in the reactor up to 11.2. Four days later the conductivity dropped to 10.3.

2.png

Four more days later and the conductivity dropped to 9.4. I then added another cup of calcium hydroxide which raised the conductivity back up to 11.3. Four days later the conductivity is down to 9.4.

3.png

The conductivity in the reactor holds the longest after being cleaned out and completely refreshed, after that everytime calcium hydroxide is added the conductivity falls back down quicker and quicker.

Is there a way to dose kalkwasser where the conductivity stays high for a long period without additional maintenence?

Last edited:

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I fill a 5 gallon bucket with RODI and add 15-20 grams of Kalk. I roll the bucket around and wait until all the undissolved kalk settles and I use a BRS 1.1 mL doser to dose 1000 mL of kalk per day.

here is a calculator I use to determine how much to dose

In order to know if your kalk is fully saturated

per randy farley

"The best way to measure limewater saturation is by conductivity. Saturated solutions have a conductivity around 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C.

pH is a poor man's way, and can give a rough guide to the saturation."

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local acrylic shop build me a custom dimension 20 gallon reservoir and it looks nice and fits perfectly next to the tank. I use this as a large dosing container with a kamoer x1 Pro T and dose 1.5 gallons a day between 24 doses
(this is my daily evaporation). You can use an acrylic rod as the dosing container intake line and have it maybe 2 inches off the bottom to allow the impurities to settle.

You can also put a ATO pump in there which only kicks on every couple of days aslong as your dosing pump closely matches you evaporation rate. I fill up the reservoir every 12 days and simply add a pre measured amount of kalk and mix 1-2 minutes with a wooden paddle.

For safety and piece of mind I use a neptune water level sensor (text alerts) and have a small Wyze camera in my sump facing the water.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a 5 gallon bucket with RODI and add 15-20 grams of Kalk. I roll the bucket around and wait until all the undissolved kalk settles and I use a BRS 1.1 mL doser to dose 1000 mL of kalk per day.

here is a calculator I use to determine how much to dose

In order to know if your kalk is fully saturated

per randy farley

"The best way to measure limewater saturation is by conductivity. Saturated solutions have a conductivity around 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C.

pH is a poor man's way, and can give a rough guide to the saturation."

Sorry I said pH but I meant conductivity. I'm using a conductivity probe in my stirrer not a pH probe.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local acrylic shop build me a custom dimension 20 gallon reservoir and it looks nice and fits perfectly next to the tank. I use this as a large dosing container with a kamoer x1 Pro T and dose 1.5 gallons a day between 24 doses
(this is my daily evaporation). You can use an acrylic rod as the dosing container intake line and have it maybe 2 inches off the bottom to allow the impurities to settle.

You can also put a ATO pump in there which only kicks on every couple of days aslong as your dosing pump closely matches you evaporation rate. I fill up the reservoir every 12 days and simply add a pre measured amount of kalk and mix 5 minutes with a wooden paddle.

For safety and piece of mind I use a neptune water level sensor (text alerts) and have a small Wyze camera in my sump facing the water.
Are you monitoring the conductivity of your kalkwasser in the dosing container? Does it fluctuate? If a kalk stirrer which is constantly stirring the kalkwasser cannot keep the conductivity stable then how would the conductivity remain stable in a non-stirred dosing container?

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can also put a ATO pump in there which only kicks on every couple of days aslong as your dosing pump closely matches you evaporation rate. I fill up the reservoir every 12 days and simply add a pre measured amount of kalk and mix 1-2 minutes with a wooden paddle.

When you say that you fill the reservoir every 12 days are you saying that you completely empty it and refill it or that you are just adding calcium hydroxide to the kalkwasser solution?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that a stirrer is the less desirable alternative to the old standby of dosing from a settled reservoir. I used 3 44 gallon Brute cans plumbed together for 130 gallon capacity. I only had to make new limewater once a month or two.

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you monitoring the conductivity of your kalkwasser in the dosing container? Does it fluctuate? If a kalk stirrer which is constantly stirring the kalkwasser cannot keep the conductivity stable then how would the conductivity remain stable in a non-stirred dosing container?
I think fully saturated kalk is around 6 grams a gallon. These 2 ounce jello cups fits exactly 32-35 grams of kalk powder in each so I use 1 per 5 gallons of water. I have these pre measured and once every 3 months I refill like 25 of them. They are air tight so the kalk powder stays fresh.

Aslong as you mix it for around 1-2 minutes the water will saturate perfectly every time and the remainder will drop out of solution and cover the bottom of the reservoir. Make sure the container is nearly airtight but the air can slightly enter so you dont have negative pressure in the reservoir. 1 time a year I will clean out the bottom but for it to reach the dosing straw 2 inches off the bottom would take years.

If you look on youtube Reef bum and Chris with ati aquatics they use reservoirs and have no issues while you have Ryan with Chummingham reef who has gone through like 10 avast kalk stirrers.

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say that you fill the reservoir every 12 days are you saying that you completely empty it and refill it or that you are just adding calcium hydroxide to the kalkwasser solution?
Yea my dosing pump doses the whole reservoir worth and it's time to refill it. All my fresh top off water comes from kalk.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do similar only I'm using a brs 50ml minute doser on a digital timer 2 minutes on 18 minutes off 24/7 dosing a total of 7200ml daily in a system of aprox 220g total volume. I'm a simple guy and test alk daily but I do not monitor anything. I don't watch pH tho it is 8.3 - 8.6 when I have tested which is rarely. I have no idea how to measure conductivity. I mix 7.5 teaspoons pickling lime per 4 gallons RODI and store it in a 32g brute trash can. My alkakinity is rock solid at 8.1 when tested daily and the tank has never looked better.

EDIT : the 7200 ml kalk I dose is under my evaporation rate. I tried kalk in the ATO but it was to inconsistent. I never really considered a stirrer as they sound complicated vs just dumping kalk in a container and letting the doser run. Easy easy

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an alternative way to dose kalkwasser that requires less maintenece than a kalkwasser stirrer?

I'm using the Avast K2 kalk stirrer and I find that the conductivity of the kalkwasser drops much too rapidly leading to fluctuations in alkalinity.

Here are some graphs to illustrate my point:

On 10/30 I cleaned and freshly refilled the kalk stirrer with 2 cups of calcium hydroxide (Reef Blueprint brand). Upon refilling, the conductivity in the stirrer was 12. Within 5 days the conductivity drops to 10.9.

1.png

Eight days after refilling I added another 1/2 cup calcium hydroxide which brought the conductivity in the reactor up to 11.2. Four days later the conductivity dropped to 10.3.

2.png

Four more days later and the conductivity dropped to 9.4. I then added another cup of calcium hydroxide which raised the conductivity back up to 11.3. Four days later the conductivity is down to 9.4.

3.png

The conductivity in the reactor holds the longest after being cleaned out and completely refreshed, after that everytime calcium hydroxide is added the conductivity falls back down quicker and quicker.

Is there a way to dose kalkwasser where the conductivity stays high for a long period without additional maintenence?
How much water are you pumping through the reactor each day? 2 cups to start might be a little low, I use that much in the smaller k1 stirrer. I drip two gallons overnight using a peristaltic pump. Have you talked with avast? They are truly awesome.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that a stirrer is the less desirable alternative to the old standby of dosing from a settled reservoir. I used 3 44 gallon Brute cans plumbed together for 130 gallon capacity. I only had to make new limewater once a month or two.
Could you please elaborate on why the stirrer is the less effective method?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please elaborate on why the stirrer is the less effective method?

Sure. Controlling potency is difficult, impurity settling is complicated, it takes more effort, and cannot be combined with vinegar easily if one chooses.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see now. So with a stirrer your pumping new freshwater into it and it just overflows into the tank. By adding freshwater your reducing the conductivity. With a reservoir you don't add freshwater to the already mixed kalkwasser, you just dose that batch until it's gone so the kalkwasser doesnt drop in conductivity for the whole batch. That seems like a much better way to do it. I'm dosing 4 liters a day so a 30 gallon reservoir would last me about a month and during that month the conductivity would never drop unlike a stirrer where the conductivity is always dropping. :)

Last edited:

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We over-load a single 20/30/50 gallon brute (depending on your space/dosing needs etc) with a bunch of kalkwasser (way overloaded). We dose our systems from this container (it auto-tops itself back off with rodi). We only dose it during lights out. During the day (when we are not dosing the kalk) we kick on a pump inside the bin for around an hour to stir up all the un-dissolved kalk at the bottom and this keeps the kalk 'fully saturated' and auto-topped off daily.

Once a week we will stir up all the powder on the bottom by hand -- and occasionally we will add more kalk as needed. Been working very well and reliably for us for a while.

caddnima

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have done. I have a 5 gallon container filled with RO, then add 25grams of Kalk. Mix it in with pump. After a few.minutes, remove pump, cover it, and drop the doser line, leaving an inch or so from the bottom. Let is settle to a clear then start the doser. When it is empty, repeat the process. Sometimes I empty the container from previous mix, a lot of times I don't. I just added fresh RO and 25grams ok Kalk. I dosed 9pm, 12am, 3am, 9am. When testing, I always manual test at the same time, 12pm, lunch time.
Hope this helps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see now. So with a stirrer your pumping new freshwater into it and it just overflows into the tank. By adding freshwater your reducing the conductivity. With a reservoir you don't add freshwater to the already mixed kalkwasser, you just dose that batch until it's gone so the kalkwasser doesnt drop in conductivity for the whole batch. That seems like a much better way to do it. I'm dosing 4 liters a day so a 30 gallon reservoir would last me about a month and during that month the conductivity would never drop unlike a stirrer where the conductivity is always dropping. :)

Yes. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back