OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G.Smithii too! Snatched him up from that pet place, don't ever see these guys anymore. Of course my good camera broke yesterday so im using the junky one on my phone for now.

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those mantis are so rad! Are those hard to keep?
These guys not so much, the peacocks can be a little trickier. This one is already being very active, fed him some last night and he gobbled it right up! Also went to the beach today to hunt pods and collect some snacks for mr mantis, the tide was perfect. Found a lot of cool things too!

Huge clam, about eight inches total. I think it was dead since it wasn't under the sand
20160430_124100.jpg

The same type of clams, they hide under the sand and filter the water for food, quite different from the ones we keep in our aquariums
20160430_125518.jpg

The underside of a cement pipe from the old dock that used to be here, so much life! There was even some type of temperate camel shrimp
20160430_130010.jpg

A couple anemones I spotted, not sure if these guys would survive in a warmer tank
20160430_130732.jpg

This is where I find most pods. They loooove to hide in pieces of driftwood, this one had at least a hundred. Curious how that would play out in an aquarium or if it would just rot away
20160430_132856.jpg

Luigi having fun. He tried to follow some seagulls out into the ocean
20160430_133816.jpg

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure there's been a few who have kept anemones out of the big blue. I've always been kinda curious about the drift too. I have some in my planted tank.

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure there's been a few who have kept anemones out of the big blue. I've always been kinda curious about the drift too. I have some in my planted tank.
They are temperate, though, and I've had little success with inverts other than pods and crabs from this area. Maybe once my tank is a bit more mature. I'm surprised more haven't chimed in, especially with the addition of the smithii

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank is doing so good I decided to try out some of those nems. Found a couple nice, larger ones and so far they are doing really well. Have in them in qt right now for acclimating to the lights.
Regular Shot
20160504_194550.jpg

Under the bluees
20160504_194612.jpg

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always nice when things go as planned haha. How did you get them to let go of their hold?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing all that driftwood makes me want to do a all natural saltwater tank with driftwood and some barnacles.

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the rocks out here are smooth like river rocks so I just used a credit card, it was pretty easy. Hopefully they will like the lr I have in my tank and find a good spot to stay, don't want the huge koralia I have chopping em up

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got to a computer to look at those nems. Those really are great looking!

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got to a computer to look at those nems. Those really are great looking!
Yea I couldn't believe how nice they look under the leds. In the ocean they are pretty bland looking, I think partly because the water is kinda dirty here lol. I wanna find a really big one and see if it's even nicer. It would be cool to find some anemone shrimp too but I haven't found any yet

OP
OP
Alucard

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a quick vid of the mantis feeding. I think it's a girl because she can be quite the *****, excuse my language. Let's call her melissa for now.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back