Aluminium: Best way to lower it?

navathehutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would running carbon with some GFO help get the aluminum out? Triton has a detox for 35 dollars but if what I read from previous threads is that it is more effective on certain metals than others. ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would running carbon with some GFO help get the aluminum out? Triton has a detox for 35 dollars but if what I read from previous threads is that it is more effective on certain metals than others. ?

I do not know if detox binds it significantly. I believe Triton has suggested GFO works.

How high is your aluminum? Do you know why?

navathehutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if detox binds it significantly. I believe Triton has suggested GFO works.

How high is your aluminum? Do you know why?
upload_2018-4-5_13-16-11.png

I used to use seachem phosguard that probably didn't help? and I have some Marine Pure blocks in sump. I have a big refuge now with macro algae thriving so my phosphates are pretty low. I use carbon every once in a while to clear water up no more gfo or phosguard anymore. I could throw some GFO in and overfeed for a while ? Thank you for the suggestion.

navathehutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everything seems to be doing well. I'll run some GFO if i ever have that happen and do a large water change. Thanks for your posts I always learn a lot !
I emailed ATI (my ati ICP test) to see what they say. I'll post if anyone curious.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that don’t know:
Aluminium in your tank primarily comes from
your tap water. You ask why, how does it get there? Simple.
A form of aluminium is dosed at your water treatment facility. It acts as a flocculant. This is then introduced to micro bubbles in a way that is injected similar to a Sodastream setup but much much bigger. The flocculant floats to the surface and is skimmed off. This is a highly efficient and cost effective method for removing particulate matter in the initial stages of water treatment. For reference I am a senior automation engineer for siemens. I have set up water treatment facilities from 5 - 50 megalitres per day.

Almost all of the aluminium is removed but some does still remain. Nowhere near enough to warrant human concern but still the possibility exists for harm in a reef.

Feel free to ask questions.
Also manganese is specifically removed depending on your waters source.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that don’t know:
Aluminium in your tank primarily comes from
your tap water. You ask why, how does it get there? Simple.
A form of aluminium is dosed at your water treatment facility. It acts as a flocculant. This is then introduced to micro bubbles in a way that is injected similar to a Sodastream setup but much much bigger. The flocculant floats to the surface and is skimmed off. This is a highly efficient and cost effective method for removing particulate matter in the initial stages of water treatment. For reference I am a senior automation engineer for siemens. I have set up water treatment facilities from 5 - 50 megalitres per day.

Almost all of the aluminium is removed but some does still remain. Nowhere near enough to warrant human concern but still the possibility exists for harm in a reef.

Feel free to ask questions.
Also manganese is specifically removed depending on your waters source.

If you are using tap water, that might be true. In cases of people using RO/DI that is likely not true. :)

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1671204987036.png

i ordered a media filters replacement for my rodi should come before christmas. i'll be purchasing carbon today to somewhat assist? my corals are doing fine....how much of damage will i get for the next 2-3 weeks? what should i do? my result from ati icp ....

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my media filters for my rodi. Made new water and now making new mix. 5 gallons a week is my plan for water change until February. Running Carbon as well. Anyone did same process similar and how was your results for high sluminum.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my media filters for my rodi. Made new water and now making new mix. 5 gallons a week is my plan for water change until February. Running Carbon as well. Anyone did same process similar and how was your results for high sluminum.

IMO, the carbon may have a small effect by binding organics that the aluminum may be bound to, but I would not expect a large reduction, nor do i think it is needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey randy. What is cesium. Mine is 0.050 mg/L is this some kind of aluminum? How do I lower it?

Cesium is a heavy metal. It looks chemically like sodium and potassium but is larger and much heavier. Typical ocean levels are about 0.3 ppb (0.0003 ppm).

Generally, I do not think it is likely to be an issue in reef tanks, and I would not assume that value is necessarily accurate. Where did the value come from?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cesium is a heavy metal. It looks chemically like sodium and potassium but is larger and much heavier. Typical ocean levels are about 0.3 ppb (0.0003 ppm).

Generally, I do not think it is likely to be an issue in reef tanks, and I would not assume that value is necessarily accurate. Where did the value come from?
It came from a reef labs icp test I sent off last week. I got the results yesterday. I spoke with Chris wood via email because I sent him my icp results for analysis. I'm also getting high levels of aluminum I don't use marine pure blocks but I do use the eshopps brand. It's media in the sump all the same. I also use siporax in media bags in the sump. I use ceramic frag disc's for my acropora when they incrust over the original frag plug u glue them to a ceramic frag disc/plate. I don't let my acropora incrust over the vase rock just in case I need to remove the colony if it needs a dip or any kind of special attention. Could these ceramic disc's be causing hig aluminum and high cesium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came from a reef labs icp test I sent off last week. I got the results yesterday. I spoke with Chris wood via email because I sent him my icp results for analysis. I'm also getting high levels of aluminum I don't use marine pure blocks but I do use the eshopps brand. It's media in the sump all the same. I also use siporax in media bags in the sump. I use ceramic frag disc's for my acropora when they incrust over the original frag plug u glue them to a ceramic frag disc/plate. I don't let my acropora incrust over the vase rock just in case I need to remove the colony if it needs a dip or any kind of special attention. Could these ceramic disc's be causing hig aluminum and high cesium?

Cesium is a fairly rare element that is not very toxic (when not a radioactive isotope) and unlikely to be an issue and I'd ignore it. I also doubt it is accurate without more convincing evidence.

How high is the aluminum? ICP companies have a tendency to scare people by saying things are high with little regard to how high causes reefers issues.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals have been doing fine with last test results of icp test, December. I did change my media filters in the rodi unit has religiously change water weekly 5 gallons. I do see growth of air line algae but use vodka and vinegar to kill it.
Should I perform another icp test? Should
I cut down on water change from weekly to biweekly? Attached you can see my corals...farmer frag market in Storrs, CT is coming up next month and I'd like to add more torches and mushroom if possible.
39789696-78DE-4B61-90C7-EE134D1A0A92.jpeg
7ADCC031-EA2D-4155-B8AE-88896BFB5847.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals have been doing fine with last test results of icp test, December. I did change my media filters in the rodi unit has religiously change water weekly 5 gallons. I do see growth of air line algae but use vodka and vinegar to kill it.
Should I perform another icp test? Should
I cut down on water change from weekly to biweekly? Attached you can see my corals...farmer frag market in Storrs, CT is coming up next month and I'd like to add more torches and mushroom if possible.
39789696-78DE-4B61-90C7-EE134D1A0A92.jpeg
7ADCC031-EA2D-4155-B8AE-88896BFB5847.jpeg

Why do you want to cut down on water changes? That may be fine, but I'm not understanding the reason.

Filipino Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to cut down on water changes? That may be fine, but I'm not understanding the reason.
i had have high al after the icp test....now its been a few weeks i wanna go back to biweekly water chnage and maybe none... also i have gha now...today i bought tuxedo urchin ... would high al cause gha?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had have high al after the icp test....now its been a few weeks i wanna go back to biweekly water chnage and maybe none... also i have gha now...today i bought tuxedo urchin ... would high al cause gha?
If you have high aluminum you probably want to do more water changes to dilute it. Although I do recommend a consistent scedual bi weekly is fine if that's what you choose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aluminum will have no impact on algae. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back