Aluminum bracket in tank

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased mounting brackets for my orphek lights. The brackets are made of aluminum including the part that clamps to the tank. When clamped to the tank the aluminum sits about a quarter inch below the water. I contacted them about this and they said "It won't hurt anything if the brackets are in water a little. Eventually some of the paint may come off but other than that you will be fine."

Logic would tell me that this would put aluminum in the tank which of course will NOT be fine. I'm far from being an expert on the subject so I would like to hear some other opinions on this. Am I crazy or is this a bad design.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to worry about this, but I don’t anymore. I have 2 Kessil aluminum black anodized blocks in my tank since April 2017 without issue. Yes there is detectable aluminum but no it’s not rising and no it’s not affecting anything.

Here’s a pic of some of my triton data for the last year. I’ve done no water changes during any of this last year. So i Don’t see an issue with the Al blocks in a rank. Aluminum is the last column.
12D35003-8FA3-465C-98E2-FEC9EECDCBF5.jpeg

OP
OP
gosaints

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there exposed aluminum in the water?
It's painted but according to the rep the paint may come off leaving it exposed. Not sure if it's actually paint or anodizing or something els tho, they said paint.

I used to worry about this, but I don’t anymore. I have 2 Kessil aluminum black anodized blocks in my tank since April 2017 without issue. Yes there is detectable aluminum but no it’s not rising and no it’s not affecting anything.

Here’s a pic of some of my triton data for the last year. I’ve done no water changes during any of this last year. So i Don’t see an issue with the Al blocks in a rank. Aluminum is the last column.
12D35003-8FA3-465C-98E2-FEC9EECDCBF5.jpeg
This makes me feel more confident I know the Radion and the AI arm use plastic in the tank but didn't realize the kessil was aluminum.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's painted but according to the rep the paint may come off leaving it exposed. Not sure if it's actually paint or anodizing or something els tho, they said paint.

A lot of things " may " happen in the future. I don't think I would be too concerned with it.
I would however make it a point to look at it every once in a while.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt feel good about any metal being above or in the water. any way to plastic/rubber coat it ?

OP
OP
gosaints

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt feel good about any metal being above or in the water. any way to plastic/rubber coat it ?
I was thinking about plasti dip but can't get a good answer if it's reef safe. Maybe I should just put a bunch 0f coats of krylon fusion.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bare aluminum will corrode. i would not trust it in my tank. i know others have used plastidip in their tanks, but i’m not sure of the adverse effects, if any. to me, the jury’s still out on that one.

tymo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you've had any issues with this since. I have the same concern with my Orphek mounting brackets that I've had up since Jan 2020 and I'm starting to see some discoloration on the metal parts that are submerged.

OP
OP
gosaints

gosaints

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the coating came off and the bare metal was exposed I had someone 3D print me some plastic covers for the part that went in the water. Sealed the top up with black silicone.

reefbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Orphek light aluminum mounts I just set up a week ago. I came home today and noticed corrosion on a few spots. Little white chunks you can break off.

reefbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the coating came off and the bare metal was exposed I had someone 3D print me some plastic covers for the part that went in the water. Sealed the top up with black silicone.
Who did you have make those 3D covers?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back