Aluminum foil in a reef tank?

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to cover some rocks with aluminum foil to rid them of hydroids and mushrooms. Is aluminum foil toxic to a tank?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cover them with epoxy. Or just trade the rock and get new rock. Some people actually want mushrooms.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just looking to rid your tank of these you could take pics and post here and Craigslist to see if someone would trade pound for pound if you dare introduce an unknown source rock into your tank-
You could try to kill them one by one by removing as much as possible and applying or injecting kalc paste,or remove rock and soak in vinegar or dilute acid to kill the shrooms (and everything else on rock), then fresh water soak until ph stabilized and reintroduce- I would give a close inspection for any other life on rock you want to save before this. If tank is well established should reseed fairly quickly.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats another method kalk paste or sodium hydroxide. Just look it up

OP
OP
Ocean Lotion

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking for a less time con suing way of knocking out more of these. Pulling rocks and letting them freeze outside sounds like the way I will go.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind freezing them will not remove them from the rock- just kill them so rock would need to be cured again or all that die off will pollute your tank.
Acid dip will dissolve any life on them and should be able to go back in pretty quick. After a rinse- I was being very cautious with the recommended soak and ph testing, but that would be safest-

I use a dilute muriatic acid, actually a pretty strong mix to clean all my pumps, plumbing, rock etc etc.
you can get that at hardware stores- I buy at Home Depot or tractor supply.

hoppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually preparing to acid dip a couple large rocks myself that are completely covered w/ GSP- I’ll try to document the process this weekend-

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful some zoanthids can release toxic vapors when harmed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back