No styrofoam???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is the middle of December and you don't ship in styrofoam any more?? Received two fish from Divers Den lifeless. No styrofoam, just some thin insulated foil. Really?? Water was at 60 degrees. I'm dripping now hoping to revive them but have little hope.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is terrible. So many places to get free styrofoam containers that can be reused. Lots of medical offices have to just toss them. I hope you can revive them. Sorry this happened to you.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is terrible. So many places to get free styrofoam containers that can be reused. Lots of medical offices have to just toss them. I hope you can revive them. Sorry this happened to you.
I've got a few in my garage from past Divers Den orders. Come on LA! Save a few penny's at the expense of a few fish??

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a fish in a recycled medical box I wouldn't open it but I would wash my hands after I tossed it unopened into the waste bin. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I noticed that Starbucks has been using two cups instead of one with the slip cover to insulate the hot coffee and not hide the Xmas design on the holiday cups. I wonder if the Warehouse in LA has used all their boxes filling holiday fish orders?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is the middle of December and you don't ship in styrofoam any more?? Received two fish from Divers Den lifeless. No styrofoam, just some thin insulated foil. Really?? Water was at 60 degrees. I'm dripping now hoping to revive them but have little hope.
They’ve been in the foil bags for a few years now. But they’ll still gladly charge you that box fee for the same amount as it used to be.

Lost several snails and crabs during summer due to this.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst time of the year to order from the worst vendor out there...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I stopped buying from LA a few years ago when they started the practice of not using a proper styrofoam box to ship corals and fish during the winter.
The last 2 orders I made, nothing survived.
Even had a frozen food order shipped that arrived thawed.
Terrible idea on their part.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that foil may have the same R value as the thickness of styrafoam they were using.
Point is fish arrived in 60 degree water. It's been a while but all previous orders came in styrofoam boxes.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got a fish in a recycled medical box I wouldn't open it but I would wash my hands after I tossed it unopened into the waste bin. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I noticed that Starbucks has been using two cups instead of one with the slip cover to insulate the hot coffee and not hide the Xmas design on the holiday cups. I wonder if the Warehouse in LA has used all their boxes filling holiday fish orders?
We get tons of styrofoam boxes that only ever had medication boxes wrapped in plastic bags. If it was body parts or fluids I could see what you mean. I have had to throw away hundreds that never even had anything in them previously.
I am going to ask a local fish store that ships if they can use them but i am not hopeful, as your response shows the general stigma. I have been trying to find uses for them over the years as i hate the waste, but not too many businesses looking for them. Super sad.
I have been collecting the single use pippettes and donating those unused, and even many in sterile packaging, to local fish stores. I get so many that I have to throw them away otherwise.

Last edited:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve been in the foil bags for a few years now. But they’ll still gladly charge you that box fee for the same amount as it used to be.

Lost several snails and crabs during summer due to this.
Yes they will charge you that box fee……so sad. I won’t even buy from them anymore, not worth the risk at all.

corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back