Alveopora vs goniopora care and differences question

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04DA7EDE-8314-4360-801A-5ADDCDB7FF3B.jpeg
I got this frag about a month ago. I’ve seen it open up maybe once or twice and it was only a few tentacles maybe 1/8 of an inch. It was sold to me as goniopora but as I wait for it to open and research the forums I’ve made an observation. This frag has polyps that are pink with bright yellow centers. Every picture I’ve seen of red and pink goniopora show polyps with same color centers as the polyp, no contrasting color. I did see a frag almost identical to mine but with polyps open and it was identified as alveopora. Is this what I have? And if so, are the care requirements the same? Any info is appreciated!!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora have more tentacles on each polyp something like 16 I think where as alveopora have half the amount of tentacles on each polyp than goniopora, so I think 8. Also the centre's of red or pink ones can be yellow or any colour really it's just slightly less common. The care requirements are pretty much the same. If it's red it's mostly likely a goniopora cause red alveoporas are generally quite rare but that doesn't mean it isn't, count the tentacles on each polyp to identify. Hope this helps

Back