Alveopora vs goniopora care and differences question

  • Thread starter Thread starter uhgster1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

uhgster1

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
993
Reaction score
1,535
Location
Clarksville, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04DA7EDE-8314-4360-801A-5ADDCDB7FF3B.jpeg
I got this frag about a month ago. I’ve seen it open up maybe once or twice and it was only a few tentacles maybe 1/8 of an inch. It was sold to me as goniopora but as I wait for it to open and research the forums I’ve made an observation. This frag has polyps that are pink with bright yellow centers. Every picture I’ve seen of red and pink goniopora show polyps with same color centers as the polyp, no contrasting color. I did see a frag almost identical to mine but with polyps open and it was identified as alveopora. Is this what I have? And if so, are the care requirements the same? Any info is appreciated!!
 
Goniopora have more tentacles on each polyp something like 16 I think where as alveopora have half the amount of tentacles on each polyp than goniopora, so I think 8. Also the centre's of red or pink ones can be yellow or any colour really it's just slightly less common. The care requirements are pretty much the same. If it's red it's mostly likely a goniopora cause red alveoporas are generally quite rare but that doesn't mean it isn't, count the tentacles on each polyp to identify. Hope this helps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new