Always something! Ammonia in rodi water!

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recently told me that the water municipality in my are uses chloromines. I decided to test my makeup water and the api test kit I used showed 0.25 ppm ammonia. I tested the reef with the same kit and it showed 0.00 ppm.
0.25ppm is the lowest it gos so not sure how correct that is. I do burn through di resin rather quickly and this would cause me to believe there is where the problem is coming from.
My question is whether or not you all think it's an issue doing water changes with this? I have been doing so for the last year and the tank is doing well at the moment.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recently told me that the water municipality in my are uses chloromines. I decided to test my makeup water and the api test kit I used showed 0.25 ppm ammonia. I tested the reef with the same kit and it showed 0.00 ppm.
0.25ppm is the lowest it gos so not sure how correct that is. I do burn through di resin rather quickly and this would cause me to believe there is where the problem is coming from.
My question is whether or not you all think it's an issue doing water changes with this? I have been doing so for the last year and the tank is doing well at the moment.
You are using the freshwater colour card, I assume.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the freshwater colour card, I assume.
So I don't have the freshwater card. I tested the freshwater first and it showed 0.25 ppm and then realized it was only for saltwater. After that I mixed a fresh batch of salt and tested again and got the same result.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have the freshwater card. I tested the freshwater first and it showed 0.25 ppm and then realized it was only for saltwater. After that I mixed a fresh batch of salt and tested again and got the same result.

That’s your issue. Fresh salt will show small levels of ammonia, no issues.

I would still check rates for chlorine to see how you are handling the chloramines

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for chlorine came back 0
I think/hope that means your carbon blocks are effectively handling the chlorine in your source water.
You might want to note what test kit(s) you're using and maybe test chlorine in your source water as well -- for the experts to comment (not me).

There's TOTAL chlorine and FREE chlorine tests.
Personally, I just trusted the public water quality report for my area (for determining if they use chloramines) but there are other ways to figure that out.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think/hope that means your carbon blocks are effectively handling the chlorine in your source water.
You might want to note what test kit(s) you're using and maybe test chlorine in your source water as well -- for the experts to comment (not me).

There's TOTAL chlorine and FREE chlorine tests.
Personally, I just trusted the public water quality report for my area (for determining if they use chloramines) but there are other ways to figure that out.
I see. The test kit I used was a clorox pool test kit. Never tested chlorine before. I will check the reports for our municipal and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the help!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. The test kit I used was a clorox pool test kit. Never tested chlorine before. I will check the reports for our municipal and see what I can dig up. Thanks for the help!
I would assume that a pool test kit would be designed for higher levels of chlorine than you'd ever want to see in your RO/DI waste water -- I'd worry that 0 on that test MIGHT not be meaningful in this context (but I don't know how low your test actually reads somewhat accurately).

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API eyeball readings of 0.25 often happen on totally ammonia-free water - so should be thought of as zero. But even if it were accurate, in top-off water or water-change water this would be of no concern and corals would be happy to see it.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API eyeball readings of 0.25 often happen on totally ammonia-free water - so should be thought of as zero. But even if it were accurate, in top-off water or water-change water this would be of no concern and corals would be happy to see it.
This is what I figured. I have been using this water for w.c. and top off for years and no ill effect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back