AM Armatus 300XD | T5 -> Radion G6 (Blue/Pro)

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an Armatus 300XD Tank with an ATI Powermodul 6x24W
Measurements are:
- Tank: 75 x 65 x 55 cm (L x W x H)
- T5 Fixture: 572 x 346 (L x W)

The bulbs I use are: 4 x ATI Blue+(B), 1 x 2500K (K), 1 x ATI Actinic (A) -> Oder back to front : BBAKBB

My tank is ~70% SPS (Acro, Monti, Seriatopora, Stylo). Acropora I keep until like 40% depth and Monti's all the way down. Growth is really good and I am generally pretty happy at the moment.
Thing is though that replacing bulbs every 6 month produces just too much waste for my taste and I feel that LEDs have come some way until now and it might be time to switch (again).
So in the mid-term (next 6-12 month) I might switch out the T5s for LEDs.

I am asking myself the following things now:
1. How many G6 30s would you fine people recommend to achieve the same coverage? Huge advantage of the T5 fixture is the broad coverage of all of my tank(*). I can have a Seriatopora crammed next to a steep overhang and it still gets enough light to thrive. Last time I ditched LED was because the shadows have been just way to hard and things below an overhang or too close to one did not grow. So I feel like I would need 2 x XR30 mounted "vertically" to achieve the same coverage which would be sooo expensive?
2. My light is kinda blue and close(?) to AB+ (I guess). I would like to get the same or at least as close as possible mix going. So would I get the Pro or the Blue then?

(*) Too much actually. I have an Acan that I need to keep as much in the shades as possible otherwise it "burns"

Thanks in advance :)

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably go 18 to 24 months between bulb replacements.

T5 will still give the best coverage. I would consider running T5/LED hybrid.

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably go 18 to 24 months between bulb replacements.
Hmm, you think so? Always feel that the Acro's start to look a bit "unhappy" when the bulbs get older than like 6-8 month. And more GHA creep up after that time. But could just be coincidence?
T5 will still give the best coverage. I would consider running T5/LED hybrid.
I think the current T5 setup is fine and I don't think adding LED would change much except my electricity bill? Dunno. Most people who added LED did that for either effect or because illumination was not good enough. But I don't think I have an illumination problem. Maybe at some point when coral create more shadow. Currently I am regrowing (images in build thread) after an almost total loss when most of my coral died due to an overheated tank last summer when I was on vacation.
It's more like that I would replace the T5 altogether to get rid of the bulb changes completely. But I am unsure if it's worth it. If anything the only thing I really gain is no bulb changes anymore.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s all or nothing, T5 is hard to beat. Think of it this way, every time you replace a bulb, it’s like a brand new light.

On a sps dominant tank, I would add some bars if you are going to go all LED.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those measurements accurate in your post?

Tank = 75cm LONG (~ 30")
T5 Fixture = 572 LONG is that 572mm?

If your tank is only 75cm you could easily get away with (1) XR30 or (2) XR15 for more flexibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those measurements accurate in your post?

Tank = 75cm LONG (~ 30")
T5 Fixture = 572 LONG is that 572mm?
Oh yeah, great catch, sorry. I was a just copy/pasting and forgot to add the units. Yeah for the lamp it's mm not cm :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If your tank is only 75cm you could easily get away with (1) XR30 or (2) XR15 for more flexibility.
Especially on the G6 XR30 the LEDs are spread out better than on the G3s. And I am wondering if this also has an impact on the overall conerage?

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s all or nothing, T5 is hard to beat. Think of it this way, every time you replace a bulb, it’s like a brand new light.

On a sps dominant tank, I would add some bars if you are going to go all LED.
Yeah that's right. I am also thinking about the waste though. But I also have not figured out how long I'd have to use the specific LED light to make a difference environment wise at least in terms of waste.
Best imho would be if ATI would "just"(TM) create LED T5 bulb versions for their T5 bulbs I have seen more and more T5/T8 LED strips for household use and I was wondering why there is nothing for tank lighting

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great idea, I bet most T5 users would mix in a blue LED T5 bulb if that was available. Cheaper and more convenient than adding LED strips. ATI might would probably sell more fixtures also,

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two XR15 PRO would cover that tank (30” x 21”) just fine, IMO. For your case, the XR15 will allow you to fine tune the placement to address any shadowing the aquascape produces. Still not covered? Add a third and I cannot imagine any issues with coverage..

I use XR15 on my system. But I would give the Quanta lights a serious look!

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, great catch, sorry. I was a just copy/pasting and forgot to add the units. Yeah for the lamp it's mm not cm :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Especially on the G6 XR30 the LEDs are spread out better than on the G3s. And I am wondering if this also has an impact on the overall conerage?

Yeah, according to Ecotech the XR30s provide a more even spread at over 4' long tanks... But like @RGoltz mentioned, 2 - XR15s would give you more flexibility with placement. Even going with 2 - G5 XR15s will save you some cash and get you higher PAR when compared to the G6.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back