Am enquiring as to the intelligence of Lionfish

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird title I know, but what am alluding to is, do Lionfish have a tendency to be aware of the poisonous nature of Rabbitfish?
When reading about potential tank mates for a Lion there is mention of lge Angels, Surgeons/Tangs, lge Wrasses, some Triggers etc but don't see much about the Rabbitfish being a tank buddy.
Am enquiring as was considering a Foxface together with a medium Lion with the thought the Lion might have some sixth sense that it could kill him if ingested, or would this only apply if both from same region of water!
Sorry about ridiculous question; hope doesn't prove me too much an idiot:)

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most fish seem to know when other are spikey and venomous. My grouper recognizes the fact that my foxface is venomous and I think my lion probably knows as well. Just don't get a HUGE lion or he will eat the fox. Keep the size close between them or have the fox bigger. That's my opinion. There are other people more knowledgeable about this around here though. @Lionfish Lair ?

OP
OP
Jenz

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most fish seem to know when other are spikey and venomous. My grouper recognizes the fact that my foxface is venomous and I think my lion probably knows as well. Just don't get a HUGE lion or he will eat the fox. Keep the size close between them or have the fox bigger. That's my opinion. There are other people more knowledgeable about this around here though. @Lionfish Lair ?
Thanks for the reply.
I had looked at a stocking plan in hope that a Lion would be awarr of ans deterred by the other fishes defences ie toxin, venom, spines etc but since reading that Lions are still known to consume Puffers became a little more worried.
I have much appreciated your input; will stick to stocking plan unless hear otherwise

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 79 53.4%
  • NO

Votes: 46 31.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back