Zebra/Dwarf Lionfish(Dendrochirus zebra)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes just to referred to as a dwarf lionfish, the zebra dwarf lionfish is often overlooked. I think one reason is because at the lfs they will generally appear brownish and not very striking. Once in a healthy environment and fed a quality diet, you will see that this is a very beautiful lionfish.

They are comparable to fuzzy in many regards. The care and concerns of all of the dwarf and medium bodied lions are the same. The zebra will take dead food offerings almost as much as the fuzzy. As I have stated many times, there is never a guarantee a dwarf lionfish will accept dead foods. And more importantly the right dead foods to provide the proper nutrition for their long term survival. Click my name and "find all threads" for many tips on feeding and nutrition. Each lion will have their own personality and the zebra seems to be a very social, not aggressive, active, and just a nice addition to a predator tank. Even just an interesting addition to any community with the proper choices in tank mates. They are not as boisterous and aggressive in eating as the fuzzy, so I do prefer them in a lion pride tank or a tank with multiple competitive predators.

If you get a small one, 2" or so, expect them to be over 4" in a year's time. In 3-4 years they will top out at around 6" to even 7". A male may reach or get to just under 7", while a female may be closer to 6", even a little under. Theoretically you can not visually sex, but there are subtle differences between males and females, and you may be able to take an educated guess. A wrote a thread on "sexing lionfish" if you are interested.

1686954837700.png

1686955008270.png

1686955316018.png

1686955369752.png

1686955524685.png

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are awesome!
what is the more yellow and red one in the second photo?

what are your thoughts on this Scott Michael "model community tank" stock list for a 100gal (whatever dimensions that is)
1) snowflake moray
2) zebra lions
1) common or volitans lion
1) carpet eel blenny
1) bluechin trigger

can this be scaled back to being appropriate ( if it even is appropriate for the 100) for a 90

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions are awesome!
what is the more yellow and red one in the second photo?

what are your thoughts on this Scott Michael "model community tank" stock list for a 100gal (whatever dimensions that is)
1) snowflake moray
2) zebra lions
1) common or volitans lion
1) carpet eel blenny
1) bluechin trigger

can this be scaled back to being appropriate ( if it even is appropriate for the 100) for a 90

That's a fuzzy lion; fuzzies come in come in 3 color morphs, the orange/brown variation that is most common, a red morph, and a yellow morph. This is a very unique yellow fuzzy, I called a creamsicle yellow. Here's a different yellow fuzzy and a red fuzzy.

I would not put a wolf eel, which is what I call a carpet eel blenney, with a lionfish. These guys act more like a fang tooth eel and can easily gut a lion while the lion is just perching or chilling on the sandbed. A 100g is too small for a volitan, my volitans have all reached around a foot with the same wingspan and make full use of a 180g plus tanks. While the bluechin trigger is a wimpy trigger and does maintain a rather smaller piece of real estate, they will still get 7-9", I wouldn't put one in a 100g but I can see the argument that it would be appropriate. The zebra lion and snowflake would be fine tankmates for 100g.

1686956675733.png

1686956713541.png

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, in general are Scott Michael's tank size suggestions a wee bit off?

I don't know who Scott Michaels is, but IMO the volitan lion needs at least 180g, I can't find the pic, it was whole tank pic to show a full size volitan in a 210g. I've seen smaller tanks suggested, and it just makes the lion perch on a rock and not move much. As I stated above, some will suggest that size tank for the bluechin, but my suggestion would be a 6' tank, 125" minimum. I kept a pair in a 210g and had a 90g in the same room, I couldn't see them(or one) in the 90g. Visually a 8" fish would just dominant the balance. Tank size does alter the personality of fish, I found lions much more active when they were given space to roam.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wrote a number of books about the hobby including ones about specific species groups. i was specifically referencing this book "The 101 Best Saltwater Fishes (Adventurous Aquarist Guide™) " which list out sample communities based on tank size prior to going into brief species profiles of 101 fish and then 33 to avoid.

it would be hard to search for aquarium books and not run across his name on the first few returns.

most LFS i've been to have his books at the counter for reference as well.

I have tanks of those sizes you mentioned, just trying to figure out what to do with my 90. i dont want another reef setup, just fish and maybe palys and mushrooms

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wrote a number of books about the hobby including ones about specific species groups. i was specifically referencing this book "The 101 Best Saltwater Fishes (Adventurous Aquarist Guide™) " which list out sample communities based on tank size prior to going into brief species profiles of 101 fish and then 33 to avoid.

it would be hard to search for aquarium books and not run across his name on the first few returns.

most LFS i've been to have his books at the counter for reference as well.

I have tanks of those sizes you mentioned, just trying to figure out what to do with my 90. i dont want another reef setup, just fish and maybe palys and mushrooms

I see you have been reading alot of my threads lately so I thought something was up. You could do any of the dwarf and medium bodied lions in a 90g, and even more than one. The small pebbletooth eels; the snowflake, skelator, or banded. You could look at the smaller tangs, like the bristletooth genus. If you not concerned with corals, take a look at the dwarf angels as well.

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting ready to set up a 48x24x17 tank and I am seriously considering a predator setup. What would you recommend to stock it with? My absolute favorite fish are lionfish. Would you recommend a dwarf and a radiata in the same tank?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out some of my other threads on other varieties of lionfish as well as other predators. Here's one of my current tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back