Am I buggin?

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are yellow tangs know to eat meat corals? My coral has been retracting and recently I started seeing chunks missing. I figured it might be the flow or too much light. I observed my tank for about an hour and saw my yellow tang put a handkerchief around his neck then pull out a fork and knife. Is this normal or am I missing something?

20221227_203923.jpg

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen tangs eat food from the coral that the coral had snagged but never the coral itself.... as far as I know this is not normal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are yellow tangs know to eat meat corals? My coral has been retracting and recently I started seeing chunks missing. I figured it might be the flow or too much light. I observed my tank for about an hour and saw my yellow tang put a handkerchief around his neck then pull out a fork and knife. Is this normal or am I missing something?

20221227_203923.jpg
It’s not unheard of for tangs to go rogue for coral (Another reason why I think they need a new Reef Safe label and to go down in popularity). I’ve seen Paracanthurus hepatus quite literally playing with coral and purposefully taking frags and flinging them into the sandbed. I’ve also seen Zebrasoma desjardini, Acanthurus leucosternon and others taking chunks from coral.

But as we say with butterflies (which seem to be more reef safe than tangs are), once a nipper always a nipper. So in this case, you’ll have to pick one or the other if you only have one tank. I’d personally pick the coral however that’s my dislike for tangs showing.

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not unheard of for tangs to go rogue for coral (Another reason why I think they need a new Reef Safe label and to go down in popularity). I’ve seen Paracanthurus hepatus quite literally playing with coral and purposefully taking frags and flinging them into the sandbed. I’ve also seen Zebrasoma desjardini, Acanthurus leucosternon and others taking chunks from coral.

But as we say with butterflies (which seem to be more reef safe than tangs are), once a nipper always a nipper. So in this case, you’ll have to pick one or the other if you only have one tank. I’d personally pick the coral however that’s my dislike for tangs showing.
That sonova, is it legal to punch a fish in the face?

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral didn't have any bare skeleton showing with fresh algae on it by chance, just to clear the tangs name..
Lol. It does have the skeleton but no algae on it. The coral was nice and healthy, I saw the yellow picking at it before but I thought nothing of it.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... my yellow tang nips at the polyps on my cabbage leathers if I don't feed her right on schedule. The leathers are pretty large, and it doesn't seem to bother them thankfully. I never expected to see a tang do something like that though! Pretty sure the polyps could appear to the tang like little tufts of algae though, so I can't blame her...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for anyone that cares. Yellow tang finished eating my meat coral then died approximately a week later.
Honestly, I can’t help with why it died but these guys tend to finish whole corals once they start eating unfortunately.
Sorry for your loss, personally I’d go for a different yellow fish next time :)

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect this tang was not getting the nutrition it needs - either internal parasites or just not accepting food it was given. Looks rather thin in picture but hard to tell by the way it's dorsal fin is turned. Perhaps this is why it turned to the coral and later died. As the coral is probably not the best substitute for it's dietary needs. Sorry it passed - yellow tangs are usually great fish for larger tanks

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect this tang was not getting the nutrition it needs - either internal parasites or just not accepting food it was given. Looks rather thin in picture but hard to tell by the way it's dorsal fin is turned. Perhaps this is why it turned to the coral and later died. As the coral is probably not the best substitute for it's dietary needs. Sorry it passed - yellow tangs are usually great fish for larger tanks
They all eat like beasts, knock on wood. I feed a little extra since I'm battling low nitrates. Out of the 15 years this is the first time I've encountered something this weird. I have other meaty corals like a scoly it never touched.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back