Am I cycling correctly?

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on week two of the cycle and I'm wonder why it's taking so long. I started the cycle by seeding sand and water from my established tank. I also dosed some Stability and Microbacter7. A week in I added a chunk of live rock from my established tank to accompany the cured rock in my cycling tank. Yesterday I changed the floss in my established tank and dumped the dirty floss into the cycling tank. I also drained the bio filtration media (established tank) into a bowl and dumped the crud into the cycling tank.

Ghost feeding for ammonia source.

I believe I'm hovering at about 0.5ppm ammonia. (Red Sea test, blueish/green) I added a snail briefly and he immediately went above the water line, so I put him back in the other tank as he wasn't having a fun time.

Any advice how to get this going is appreciated. I'm downsizing and really need this up and running soon as I gear up for a move.

EE79BEFC-08C0-40E1-BB99-02903A23B1D7.jpeg

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're downsizing you can just move everything over - the new tank doesn't need to be cycled. The beneficial bacteria will primarily be in the rock anyway (not the sand or water column).
I like this idea, however the old tank isn't in great shape. I haven't been able to keep up on water maintenance. My plan was to start fresh, but I'm going to take your advice and add some additional live rock from the old tank.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the new 12 gallon tall. The green rock I just added from my old tank. Also another one about that size hiding behind it. Hopefully this helps!

Attachments

• 0682A4FA-9958-47CA-9108-7342D32803CD.jpeg
    0682A4FA-9958-47CA-9108-7342D32803CD.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your coral light?
Nope it's a just some stand-in shop light so I can see the new setup. I'll be using a Current USA Orbit when the livestock moves over. Possibly upgrade down the road. A powerhead and nano skimmer will also get moved over.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope it's a just some stand-in shop light so I can see the new setup. I'll be using a Current USA Orbit when the livestock moves over. Possibly upgrade down the road. A powerhead and nano skimmer will also get moved over.

Ok haha I just wanted to make sure

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to watch the phosphates. Dumping the crud and old floss is not going to help out the cycle as much as it will just be polluting the tank. If you have anymore microbacter7, I'd dose the whole of the remaining bottle.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to watch the phosphates. Dumping the crud and old floss is not going to help out the cycle as much as it will just be polluting the tank. If you have anymore microbacter7, I'd dose the whole of the remaining bottle.
Thanks for the tip. I'll dose the mb7 and add a little gfo.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I'll dose the mb7 and add a little gfo.

I'd wait to do the gfo till you test the phosphates. Some of the microbacter 7 bacteria should help eat crud or decaying matter which should help clean things up a bit.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting the same ammonia reading. Ordered a bottle of Biospira, so hopefully some progress by next week.

Back