Am I doing this correct?

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Recently I started a FOWLR saltwater tank (10 gallon All in one) and I have a few questions whether or not my tank is on the right track. In my tank I have approximately 10lb of liverock from Petco(there are bristle worms in it), 2 inch of live sand, 5 carbon balls, 1 bag of carbon media, 2 4x4 marine pure block, and other tech stuff (filter, heater, current maker, skimmer).

Currently my chemical levels are at: PH: 8.0 AMMONIA: 0 ppm Nitrite: 0.25ppm Nitrate: 50-60ppm? (The color of the solution is darker than 40 ppm but less darker than 80 ppm according to the test kit)

Does this sound about right for a 4th day of cycling? Isn't my nitrate too high? Also is it safe to put my bio balls next to the heater?

Ps. I used turbostart and amonia to cycle the tank faster, also this is my first post here!

20200929_031638.jpg 20200929_031648.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your tank sounds like it is on track to cycling very quickly. The nitrates are so high because you started with the Turbostart which basically introduced a bunch of nitrifying bacteria at the beginning...so the ammonia was processed very quickly. I would dose another 1ppm ammonia to see if your system can clear it to zero ammonia in 24hrs...if so, you are cycled. If cycled, perform a very large water change...about 75% (this will reduced the high nitrates) and start slowly with adding your first fish! I'm a proponent of quarantining fish before introduction into your main tank, but that is a personal preference.

I'm not sure about whether the bioballs can be placed next to the heater, though. I wouldn't have them touching the heater.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your tank sounds like it is on track to cycling very quickly. The nitrates are so high because you started with the Turbostart which basically introduced a bunch of nitrifying bacteria at the beginning...so the ammonia was processed very quickly. I would dose another 1ppm ammonia to see if your system can clear it to zero ammonia in 24hrs...if so, you are cycled. If cycled, perform a very large water change...about 75% (this will reduced the high nitrates) and start slowly with adding your first fish! I'm a proponent of quarantining fish before introduction into your main tank, but that is a personal preference.

I'm not sure about whether the bioballs can be placed next to the heater, though. I wouldn't have them touching the heater.

Hey, thank you so much for the help. Really means a lot to have someone stop by to reply and give their thoughts. Just another thing. When doing a water change will I have to cycle the tank again or am I ready to add a fish? Also, what do you mean by quarantining fish? Finally, this is sort of off-topic, is it necessary to get a bristle worm predator like a coral banded shrimp to control the population of the bristle worms, or will the bristle worms be fine without the population control. Once again thanks.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME! glad you made your first post!
Tank is lookin’ sweet! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

I like your set up. I think you have a lot of rock/sand/marine pure- you should have a great bio filter for that size tank.

like mentioned above- I think your on your way to being cycled.

quarantine tank (qt) is a separate system that you can set up to observe and treat any new fish (or corals) you purchase to ensure they are not sick in anyway and to avoid introducing pest/illiness into your main display tank (DT).Doesn’t have to be a complicated set up. Just a tank, a sponge filter, maybe a heater. Some people do this, some people don’t. Some even qt corals as well.

personally I do a fresh water dip and observation to all fish put into my tank. But this is not the best practice and I’ve most likely gotten “lucky” doing it this way. There are some great articles on here about proper qt and reasons why to qt all live things before entering your main display.
Hope this helps, and again WELCOME! Can’t wait to see what you do with your tank.
HAPPY REEFING!
F77C9EF3-44EF-4FCF-AE15-E75485CAF261.jpeg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME! glad you made your first post!
Tank is lookin’ sweet! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

I like your set up. I think you have a lot of rock/sand/marine pure- you should have a great bio filter for that size tank.

like mentioned above- I think your on your way to being cycled.

quarantine tank (qt) is a separate system that you can set up to observe and treat any new fish (or corals) you purchase to ensure they are not sick in anyway and to avoid introducing pest/illiness into your main display tank (DT).Doesn’t have to be a complicated set up. Just a tank, a sponge filter, maybe a heater. Some people do this, some people don’t. Some even qt corals as well.

personally I do a fresh water dip and observation to all fish put into my tank. But this is not the best practice and I’ve most likely gotten “lucky” doing it this way. There are some great articles on here about proper qt and reasons why to qt all live things before entering your main display.
Hope this helps, and again WELCOME! Can’t wait to see what you do with your tank.
HAPPY REEFING!
F77C9EF3-44EF-4FCF-AE15-E75485CAF261.jpeg
Nice looking torch there - center ;) Do the 3 clowns do alright? I've heard the loner will get picked on

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thank you so much for the help. Really means a lot to have someone stop by to reply and give their thoughts. Just another thing. When doing a water change will I have to cycle the tank again or am I ready to add a fish? Also, what do you mean by quarantining fish? Finally, this is sort of off-topic, is it necessary to get a bristle worm predator like a coral banded shrimp to control the population of the bristle worms, or will the bristle worms be fine without the population control. Once again thanks.

Once a tank is cycled, barring a catastrophic destabilizing event, then it remains cycled. The beneficial bacteria are on surfaces like the sand, rock, and your bio-media.

Bristleworms are a beneficial detrivore in my opinion. Some people don’t like having them, but unless they’re a fireworm that can harm you, or just out of control, I wouldn’t worry.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking torch there - center ;) Do the 3 clowns do alright? I've heard the loner will get picked on
Thanks!

i have had luck with the three clowns. That was a result of a deal from a local reefer. Came with the third clown. He was pretty small, so I gave it a shot and added him. Now the trio gets along no problem. But this could change at some point, and if it does the smallest one will be moved to my frag tank. But so far so good lol.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No problem...that's why we are all here...to help each other out!

No, you don't have to cycle again after the big water change. The tank will remain cycled as long as you don't add a bunch of new live rock, etc... to the tank at a later date...then sometimes you can go through a new mini-cycle.

Quarantining fish means keeping fish in a separate tank for anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months monitoring for possible diseases to show up. Also in this quarantine tank, some will go ahead and prophylactically treat for the more common diseases/parasites in order to ensure the fish added to their display tank is cleared (or hopefully cleared) of diseases. It is easier to handle diseases in a quarantine tank than if the disease shows itself in the display tank...a diseased fish in a display tank usually requires all other fish in the tank to also then be treated.

Don't worry about bristleworms...they are good to have in a tank. They will help to eat left over food, detritus, etc... They won't get out of control...the amount of extra food in the tank will control their populations...meaning, if there isn't enough for all of them to eat, they will die off to the level of the food available.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem...that's why we are all here...to help each other out!

No, you don't have to cycle again after the big water change. The tank will remain cycled as long as you don't add a bunch of new live rock, etc... to the tank at a later date...then sometimes you can go through a new mini-cycle.

Quarantining fish means keeping fish in a separate tank for anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months monitoring for possible diseases to show up. Also in this quarantine tank, some will go ahead and prophylactically treat for the more common diseases/parasites in order to ensure the fish added to their display tank is cleared (or hopefully cleared) of diseases. It is easier to handle diseases in a quarantine tank than if the disease shows itself in the display tank...a diseased fish in a display tank usually requires all other fish in the tank to also then be treated.

Don't worry about bristleworms...they are good to have in a tank. They will help to eat left over food, detritus, etc... They won't get out of control...the amount of extra food in the tank will control their populations...meaning, if there isn't enough for all of them to eat, they will die off to the level of the food available.
Hey thanks so much again. Yesterday I was able to buy a regular clownfish, black storm clownfish, and fire red shrimp. Hey, just a quick question. Will I need an airpump for the fish tank. Im looking at various sources with some saying I need one and some saying I dont.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks so much again. Yesterday I was able to buy a regular clownfish, black storm clownfish, and fire red shrimp. Hey, just a quick question. Will I need an airpump for the fish tank. Im looking at various sources with some saying I need one and some saying I dont.
Also, I dont have a "real protein skimmer." Instead I have my own so I don't have anything really producing bubbles. I have a wave maker and filtration system but I'm not sure if they are producing the oxygen needed for the tank.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I dont have a "real protein skimmer." Instead I have my own so I don't have anything really producing bubbles. I have a wave maker and filtration system but I'm not sure if they are producing the oxygen needed for the tank. I placed the WaveMaker near the top to create more surface agitation but is that enough?

20201008_083500.jpg

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldn't hurt to add a air stone with air pump in the back AIO compartments! or just point the return line up towards the surface

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your rushing things a bit.
Two fish and a shrimp in a 10g new tank without QT can be detrimental.
One thing not mentiond about qt is that tank needs to be cycled as well.

I highly recomend you take advantage of the search tool upper right.
You need to learn before you do.
Search things like
Nitrogen cycle
Fish in cycle
Fishless cycle
Adding fish
Clown compatibility

The one bit of advice I can give you.
Do the research before you act.
This is the unfun part of the hobby.
I have found that the aquarium keeping has the most research needed and a big learning curve.

OP
OP
P

phong34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Search things like
Nitrogen cycle
Fish in cycle
Fishless cycle
Adding fish
Clown compatibility

I have found that the aquarium keeping has the most research needed and a big learning curve.
I already cycled the tank and have been sitting the tank empty for a week while it was already cycled. Also the reason why I did not quarantine is because I do not have the resources to do so. I know it's a risk but im willing to take it. But thanks for your reply.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Recently I started a FOWLR saltwater tank (10 gallon All in one) and I have a few questions whether or not my tank is on the right track. In my tank I have approximately 10lb of liverock from Petco(there are bristle worms in it), 2 inch of live sand, 5 carbon balls, 1 bag of carbon media, 2 4x4 marine pure block, and other tech stuff (filter, heater, current maker, skimmer).

Currently my chemical levels are at: PH: 8.0 AMMONIA: 0 ppm Nitrite: 0.25ppm Nitrate: 50-60ppm? (The color of the solution is darker than 40 ppm but less darker than 80 ppm according to the test kit)

Does this sound about right for a 4th day of cycling? Isn't my nitrate too high? Also is it safe to put my bio balls next to the heater?

Ps. I used turbostart and amonia to cycle the tank faster, also this is my first post here!

20200929_031638.jpg 20200929_031648.jpg
It sounds about right, but next time DONT GO TO PETCO!!! When you stock, DONT BUY FROM PETCO! Go to a local fish shop and get some advice, there’s not much that can fit in your tank but maybe a little school of small fish and some inverts? The tank may be too small if you want a couple fish and one is territorial

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Search things like
Nitrogen cycle
Fish in cycle
Fishless cycle
Adding fish
Clown compatibility

I think researching is a great experience to me, love to learn new things.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back