Am I done stocking?

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod that's been set up for about 6 months.

For fish, I have:
  • a yellow clown goby
  • a tailspot blenny
  • a wheeler's shrimp goby
For inverts:
  • a peppermint shrimp
  • a scarlet hermit
  • at least one gorilla crab (I know I should pull it out, but it's still small and hasn't hurt anything yet)
  • 2 trochus snails
  • 2 cerith snails
  • 1 nassarius snail
I'm happy with this stocking, but I was thinking of adding a single emerald crab to eat the algae on the rocks (especially the bubble algae).

In addition, I have a slight problem keeping my nutrients high enough. I don't have any nitrate or phosphate to dose directly, I've just been massively overfeeding in order to combat this. However, I think this over-feeding is developing an population of impressively robust bristle worms. I'm not really sure if this is a problem, but considering the tank could certainly handle more bioload, I'm wondering if I could get any more fish or inverts? What do you think? Is there anything else I could add or should I stay with the stocking I have and get some nitrate and phosphate to dose?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod that's been set up for about 6 months.

For fish, I have:
  • a yellow clown goby
  • a tailspot blenny
  • a wheeler's shrimp goby
For inverts:
  • a peppermint shrimp
  • a scarlet hermit
  • at least one gorilla crab (I know I should pull it out, but it's still small and hasn't hurt anything yet)
  • 2 trochus snails
  • 2 cerith snails
  • 1 nassarius snail
I'm happy with this stocking, but I was thinking of adding a single emerald crab to eat the algae on the rocks (especially the bubble algae).

In addition, I have a slight problem keeping my nutrients high enough. I don't have any nitrate or phosphate to dose directly, I've just been massively overfeeding in order to combat this. However, I think this over-feeding is developing an population of impressively robust bristle worms. I'm not really sure if this is a problem, but considering the tank could certainly handle more bioload, I'm wondering if I could get any more fish or inverts? What do you think? Is there anything else I could add or should I stay with the stocking I have and get some nitrate and phosphate to dose?
The fish you already have are generally not combative fish. Nor do I see them adding a major bio load. So yes, I do think you could add another fish (or two if they are the small type and non territorial). As long as you stay on top of your nutrient export and keep the water happy..i think you will be fine. Just make sure the next fish you have are not considered aggressive and you should be absolutely fine. PJ Cardinal, 6 line wrasse, royal gramma all come to mind as good options.

I dose sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate to keep my levels in line..and I am really happy.

Back