Am I falling for the hype? Are the commercial carbon products actually different/better?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this. I export using corals, algae, fish, copepods, micro starfish, snails, and a basket of cat litter. I don’t claim to know how all the science works but it’s what I do and it works so far. Sounds like you were over dissing the carbon. Don’t take much but I suppose that depends upon the carbon source or product you use. Slow and steady wins the race.
What I'm "dissing" is the idea carbon dosing is a fundamental first step in stability, especially in a new aquarium.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm "dissing" is the idea carbon dosing is a fundamental first step in stability, especially in a new aquarium.
Ok, well, I'm going to prefer to take advice from people that know how chemistry actually works and have heard of solids, liquids, and GASES. But your dissing is noted. Thanks.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are folks who do not use a skimmer when carbon dosing, and its a fine plan, IMO, for some types of aquaria. Is it better than when using a skimmer? Who knows. I doubt anyone has studied that on identical tanks.

Adding organic carbon boosts a variety of organisms to grow more, maybe including corals and sponges, but certainly including bacteria.

Does one really need to export those bacteria by skimming? Why? It's an unsupported mantra, IMO.

Why not think of those bacteria as added foods for filter feeders of all sorts. Most folks think one can add fish foods to an unskimmed tank, so why could one not generate food in situ using ingredients already present, plus some vinegar?
You are a world renounced smart guy, what is your humble opinion on the necessity of carbon dosing to run a successful reef aquarium? Would you say that it is an absolute necessity or a keystone to reaching stability?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well, I'm going to prefer to take advice from people that know how chemistry actually works and have heard of solids, liquids, and GASES. But your dissing is noted. Thanks.
Let me know when you start producing phosphate gas in your aquarium. Or when you get phosphates under control in your own system.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely wrong. The Law of Conservation of Matter tells us that matter cannot magically appear or disappear. Adding organic carbon doesn't magically remove nitrate and phosphate. It fuels the growth of heterotrophic bacteria, that will absorb Nitrates and Phosphates as part of their growth and reproduction.

And, then your skimmer removes that bacteria, and that is how carbon dosing reduces the nutrients from your aquarium. There is no mechanical filtration method commonly available that can remove that bacteria.

So very confident for someone that apparently has never heard of nitrogen gas.

Denitrification does not magically make nitrate disappear.

“Denitrification is the process by which nitrate is reduced to nitrogen gas by soil microbes when oxygen is not present”.

Gas is still a matter, so the law of conservation of matter is still correct. The nitrogen gas is released into the air. :)

OP
OP
BigTimeIssues

BigTimeIssues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok so if I had came here frantically begging for emergency help on getting my phosphates down on a 3 month old reef that would be different. If I made it seem like I'm looking to dump a magic cure in my tank to make an insta-stable reef, then I didn't communicate well.(I'm working on that)

The research I found before asking here was that the premise behind carbon dosing is that it helps with N and P reduction thru the bacterial growth. Then the bacteria can be consumed by coral in the tank as food. And it can also be removed by the skimmer and exported down my sink. My plan isn't to start dosing carbon yeaterday, I was hoping to get some feedback on those points and maybe some things that I don't know.

This isn't my first attempt at making my reef stable. My phosphates are very high.. I am using less than half the normal dose of gfo to slowly bring it down. I'm not trying to sledge hammer it into submission, but if stability is key then shouldn't I want it stable at a lower level rather than leaving it very high? The carbon dosing isn't something i wanted to use to "fix" anything, but rather is it something that can benefit me and my tank inhabitants long term.. and if I do decide to dose a carbon source it would be started at 1/4 of the recommended amount and ramped up over months. If I really wanted a sledge hammer I'd buy lanthanum.

I do appreciate the input, arguing over whether or not a skimmer is needed wasn't a desired effect of me asking this question, however I did get to see some different views on carbon dosing.

Last edited:

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Carbon Dosing with 40% Vodka, using the Weekly increase in the Vodka. Noticing a decrease in the Brown Diatoms, in the newer tanks, and a decrease in GHA in my older tank. It’s a cheap and effective Carbon Dosing. BTW, On my situation, not running a Skimmer, the Filter Sock(s) Clog after 24 Hours. Also they are hard to clean.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I had came here frantically begging for emergency help on getting my phosphates down on a 3 month old reef that would be different. If I made it seem like I'm looking to dump a magic cure in my tank to make an insta-stable reef, then I didn't communicate well.(I'm working on that)

The research I found before asking here was that the premise behind carbon dosing is that it helps with N and P reduction thru the bacterial growth. Then the bacteria can be consumed by coral in the tank as food. And it can also be removed by the skimmer and exported down my sink. My plan isn't to start dosing carbon yeaterday, I was hoping to get some feedback on those points and maybe some things that I don't know.

This isn't my first attempt at making my reef stable. My phosphates are very high.. I am using less than half the normal dose of gfo to slowly bring it down. I'm not trying to sledge hammer it into submission, but if stability is key then shouldn't I want it stable at a lower level rather than leaving it very high? The carbon dosing isn't something i wanted to use to "fix" anything, but rather is it something that can benefit me and my tank inhabitants long term.. and if I do decide to dose a carbon source it would be started at 1/4 of the recommended amount and ramped up over months. If I really wanted a sledge hammer I'd buy lanthanum.

I do appreciate the input, arguing over whether or not a skimmer is needed wasn't a desired effect of me asking this question, however I did get to see some different views on carbon dosing.
None of this is directed at you. You are asking a question. When you are asking a question take into consideration the source. I'm not a fan of Erin, but she gave you solid advice. And, the member telling you carbon dosing is mandatory, has an aquarium you wouldn't want to replicate.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this is directed at you. You are asking a question. When you are asking a question take into consideration the source. I'm not a fan of Erin, but she gave you solid advice. And, the member telling you carbon dosing is mandatory, has an aquarium you wouldn't want to replicate.
Why not show pictures from my display tank if you are going to stalk my history and pick and choose what pictures to post? Let’s see what your tank looks like if you want to play this stupid game. I never said it was mandatory I just said it helps to bring stability very early in a tanks life imo and experience
C19662CC-2EE7-41F1-AC51-78623B78E065.jpeg
84E22824-7C52-409A-B260-D6583F78CB02.jpeg
ABD95786-4E91-4022-8833-7EA56AA64065.jpeg
5B4A26AB-DBF8-4264-9138-D988C6AFC603.jpeg
611F2482-0C8B-4731-A54B-C5EB922383F1.jpeg
F8245F3B-9E92-438D-898D-8A9043FDC9A9.jpeg

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not show pictures from my display tank if you are going to stalk my history and pick and choose what pictures to post? Let’s see what your tank looks like if you want to play this stupid game. I never said it was mandatory I just said it helps to bring stability very early in a tanks life imo and experience
C19662CC-2EE7-41F1-AC51-78623B78E065.jpeg
84E22824-7C52-409A-B260-D6583F78CB02.jpeg
ABD95786-4E91-4022-8833-7EA56AA64065.jpeg
5B4A26AB-DBF8-4264-9138-D988C6AFC603.jpeg
611F2482-0C8B-4731-A54B-C5EB922383F1.jpeg
F8245F3B-9E92-438D-898D-8A9043FDC9A9.jpeg
Man, this doesn't look any better for your argument. IMG_20221112_105718.jpg

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its with the white turn up, so you can see the lack of bubble and green hair algae.
Guys guys guys, both tanks are embarrassing. There, settled.

Let’s keep this discussion on topic of the uses and experiences with carbon dosing and stop attacking others acting like you’re experts when both are clearly newer hobbyists.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys guys guys, both tanks are embarrassing. There, settled.

Let’s keep this discussion on topic of the uses and experiences with carbon dosing and stop attacking others acting like you’re experts when both are clearly newer hobbyists.
I actually do use carbon dosing and I’m one of a handful of people who have demonstrated growing acro in an aquarium under 2 months old started with dry rock and sand. So what are you bringing to the table here besides attacking me as well?
To stay on topic this acro is growing in a tank that’s three months old and this is 1 month of growth from delivery to now. Notice the base. Carbon dosing works for me. Do whatever you want op. I don’t care I just don’t understand why people feel the need to attack me for stating my opinion on a question that the op asked for in the first place. Good day.
9976D14D-F0FC-4063-A46B-CCDAEAA4EF52.jpeg
C6FCB5CA-2810-4F69-BA22-EB3B1CB6D307.jpeg

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HomebroodExotics what are you trying to prove with your post? I can show you photos of frags that express that growth in 2 weeks and claim elevated pH and high nutrients. I don't think carbon dosing can be attributed to your claim just as much as my success is due to high nutrients.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back