Am I going to fast?

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m currently at 22 days into my new tank (10 gallon) being set up. I have about 10 pounds of new rock and 2-3 pounds of old rock from my old tank that’s been going for about 7 years. A few days ago I added my yellow watchman goby and pistol to the tank and everything has been going fine. I have 3 ricordeas and 2 small zoa frags arriving tomorrow and now I’m getting worried that I should have waited longer before adding the corals. What do you think? Parameters have been stable for the past two weeks with 0 ammonia / nitrite and somewhere between 5-10ppm nitrates.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably haven’t crossed any red-lines, but if your gut is telling you this speed will eventually lead to a setback for your tank, listen to it. Take a little pause from any new additions; and remember that a 10-gallon tank will fill up in a blink.

OP
OP
Weebay

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably haven’t crossed any red-lines, but if your gut is telling you this speed will eventually lead to a setback for your tank, listen to it. Take a little pause from any new additions; and remember that a 10-gallon tank will fill up in a blink.
Thanks for the reply! I’m definitely not planning to add anything else for at least a month or so. My reasoning at purchase was that the old rocks should be doing a good amount of filtration but at the same time the rest of the tank is still very fresh. Hoping for the best!

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I’m definitely not planning to add anything else for at least a month or so. My reasoning at purchase was that the old rocks should be doing a good amount of filtration but at the same time the rest of the tank is still very fresh. Hoping for the best!
I got hammered everywhere on waiting over a month before adding anything. I double dosed turbo start 9000 and the wait didn’t last long. I added clowns, zoas, ricordea, Midas blenny, cuc, shrimp, gobby, pistol shrimp. I think it depends on diligence. I am not an expert by any shot I am sharing my experience. By diligence I mean I was going with a fish start and bacteria helper. So 2 small clowns and the turbo start. Well after a week I added corals and fun stuff I liked. Sometimes I water changed every other day or daily. Just me being scared…. My testing was coming back good and sometimes the slightest bit of ammonia which cleared itself in a few hours, but I didn’t want my money to die haha. So I did it out of being scared, but my zoas were growing a polyp every few days (white zombies, diamonds, a few others).

The experience made me more comfortable with starting my second tank pretty fast. The live rock really helps I haven’t found any trace ammonia in my second tank. Same set up except I haven’t touched a water change at all (yet). Corals are good and fish are happy and eating.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m currently at 22 days into my new tank (10 gallon) being set up. I have about 10 pounds of new rock and 2-3 pounds of old rock from my old tank that’s been going for about 7 years. A few days ago I added my yellow watchman goby and pistol to the tank and everything has been going fine. I have 3 ricordeas and 2 small zoa frags arriving tomorrow and now I’m getting worried that I should have waited longer before adding the corals. What do you think? Parameters have been stable for the past two weeks with 0 ammonia / nitrite and somewhere between 5-10ppm nitrates.

Coral seems fine given your selection and rocks. Don't add anymore fish, borderline on the YWG already.

OP
OP
Weebay

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies! I forgot to mention I have also dosed Bio-spira twice so hopefully that’s helping. Shipment should be arriving soon, wish me luck!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. 2-3 lbs of love rock in a 10g tank is more than enough to seed the rest and give you a skip cycle. No additional bottled bac was necessary. At 22 days, you be nearly cycled with just a dead shrimp and nothing else.

charles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies! I forgot to mention I have also dosed Bio-spira twice so hopefully that’s helping. Shipment should be arriving soon, wish me luck!
You’re fine!! I kept ricordea and zoas much earlier than you. And got one splitting and zoas booming. You’ll do great! Just don’t stress like I did haha enjoy them!!

OP
OP
Weebay

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature acclimated, dipped, and now resting in the tank. I'll probably wait til tomorrow to glue everything down. Got a few weird looking worms off with the dip. Looks like everything is opening up, so far so good.

IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1977.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back