Am I just being anxious?

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I recently set up my SCA 150g 5x2x2 tank. I built a stand for it and I believe the top was completely flat (used plywood for the top.

Per the recommendation of SCA Aquariums, I purchased a 1/4" yoga mat to go under the tank. Tank has now been filled up for several days and the mat is compressing.

Attached are two pictures of the corners of the tank. I believe the one corner is compressing more than the others, but can't tell if its just an illusion with the glass or not. I'm anxious to make sure that the tank isn't compromised in any way, I've never owned a rimless tank before and am not sure what a normal amount of compression is.

Thanks for any responses in advance!

IMG_4931.jpeg

*note the front panel isn't cracked, its just the way the silicone dried externally

IMG_4932.jpeg

corner I'm most concerned about- can't tell if that back corner is more compressed or not.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how being rimless affects the bottom of a tank but my first thoughts are how much mat is sticking out the side here;
IMG_4932.jpeg.jpg

It does look like the rear panel is lower but I also note that the side panel is more chamfered than the edge of the rear panel. This might just be letting the excess mat swell up a little, assuming that it is hanging out a touch?

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how being rimless affects the bottom of a tank but my first thoughts are how much mat is sticking out the side here;
IMG_4932.jpeg.jpg

It does look like the rear panel is lower but I also note that the side panel is more chamfered than the edge of the rear panel. This might just be letting the excess mat swell up a little, assuming that it is hanging out a touch?
I’ll have to check when I get home- I believe that it is mostly flush but I’ll double check! I emailed Steve, the owner of SCA aquariums the pictures as well and he just told me that it looks normal and the tank should be good to go. I’m just a nervous soul and want to make sure the tank (and my floor) will be safe

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back