Removing Rim from 20g

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright y’all, I’m considering doing a standard 20g DIY AIO and would really like for it to be rimless. I’ve removed the rims off of smaller tanks in the past including removing a cracked plastic rim off a 10g last night. I’ve been reading up on it since 10g is the largest I have taken the rim off of in the past. My thought would be that the AIO would add some support (depending on how I choose to do it) then my intention is to reinforce the corners using plexiglass which will ask allow me a place for my hood to sit. There is no way I would do it without some type of support, I’m just wondering if corner bracing would provide enough structural support.

Last edited:

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plastic doesn't bond well with silicone, use glass for reinforcement
I would do euro braced and run a canister filter and skip the aio. The sicce ones look nicest installed, imo.
2nd option would be to just run a HOB since I don't like putting tanks right up on the wall anymore now that I have to fix/pay for the damage.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright y’all, I’m considering doing a standard 20g DIY AIO and would really like for it to be rimless. I’ve removed the rims off of smaller tanks in the past including removing a cracked plastic rim off a 10g last night. I’ve been reading up on it since 10g is the largest I have taken the rim off of in the past. My thought would be that the AIO would add some support (depending on how I choose to do it) then my intention is to reinforce the corners using plexiglass which will ask allow me a place for my hood to sit. There is no way I would do it without some type of support, I’m just wondering if corner bracing would provide enough structural support.
Whats the thickness of the glass of your tank? For my 23 g rimless tank 6 mm thick glass was used. No brace and no support was used and it was built and delivered to me that way.
As mentioned before, sililicone wont bond well to plexiglass. I tried to build a small box with it and it fell apart after one year.

OP
OP
Katie03

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the thickness of the glass of your tank? For my 23 g rimless tank 6 mm thick glass was used. No brace and no support was used and it was built and delivered to me that way.
As mentioned before, sililicone wont bond well to plexiglass. I tried to build a small box with it and it fell apart after one year.
It is approximately 1/4” thick, so 6mm would be about right.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know people have de-rimmed tanks with success (I have done it in the past) but with the value of marine fish and corals it doesn't seem worth the risk especially considering their are a lot of great options right off the shelf for a bit of extra cash.

That said, if you do go this route, don't use plastic as reinforcement as it will not "bond" with the silicone the way glass does. This is done for baffles and can be done for the AIO potion (depending on the design) as they aren't structural and will have relatively similar pressures on both sides.

Also, if you do go this route, I have made AIO tanks in the past, I am not an expert or anything, but I can try to answer questions about that part of the build. . .

OP
OP
Katie03

Katie03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people have de-rimmed tanks with success (I have done it in the past) but with the value of marine fish and corals it doesn't seem worth the risk especially considering their are a lot of great options right off the shelf for a bit of extra cash.

That said, if you do go this route, don't use plastic as reinforcement as it will not "bond" with the silicone the way glass does. This is done for baffles and can be done for the AIO potion (depending on the design) as they aren't structural and will have relatively similar pressures on both sides.

Also, if you do go this route, I have made AIO tanks in the past, I am not an expert or anything, but I can try to answer questions about that part of the build. . .
The rimmed tank is the same glass thickness as a rimless of the same size and even slightly larger. As for AIO, I’m not planning on doing the entire back/side. Thinking more of an 8-10” overflow modified to work. Basically an overflow half slotted half not with compartments for media, heater, and return pump.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just buy one of the nicer internal pumps if truly motivated to take up space in the tank
Going to cost about the same and warrantied to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back