Alternative ways of plumbing a roller mat

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox marine tank with the filter socks right now and want to switch over to a roller mat setup. While looking at roller mats, one thing in common for all of them is they need the drain to be plumbed directly to roller mat. This seems its simple enough to do, its just a few elbows and a section of flexible hose. But Im wondering, on the current Waterbox marine sump, the main and emergency drain water first enters into a thin compartment in the sump and overflows into the filtersock compartment. If I replace the filter sock with the roller mat, and have the drain plumbed straight into the roller, then it basically leaves that first compartment where water drains into first useless, or water will be come stagnant or have VERY little flow when the occasional water enters the emergency drain.

Im wondering if I could 3D print a funnel or something that catches the overflowing water from the first compartment, and direct it into the inlet of the roller mat. should look something like this
1701311709705.png

I think it should work, but not sure if there would be any gurgling noise from the funnel, or if there would be any flow issue entering the filter.

Modifying the sump is an option, but not something Im willing/want to do since its not as simple as just removing a piece of glass or 2.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not any help but we'll get you bumped up at least. On my redsea sump was set up the same and the sock holder and baffle that divides that chamber where the downpipe come in had to be removed to install the roller. I can't think of any other way to do it unless you want to run the return pump flow high enough that you always have some water going down the emergency drain into that chamber but then you would have a certain amount of unfiltered water if that's important to you. I'm not sure about the funnel idea. I can't visualize it but I know nothing about 3d printing.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump. I did thought about adjusting the drain valve so it allows some water to flow through the emergency drain all the time. I dont mind not having 100% of the water pass through the filter roller, its not like the filter socks holder that came with the sump is a perfect seal anyways. But the water trickling down the emergency drain is pretty loud. Would be quite annoying over time.

The funnel idea is basically to catch and direct water from the drain chamber, funnel it and direct the water into the roller mat inlet. Im probably over thinking and over complicating it tho. I could play with the idea a bit once I get my hands on a roller filter, but I see myself going back to a traditional plumbing method.

NGSM Hoops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump. I did thought about adjusting the drain valve so it allows some water to flow through the emergency drain all the time. I dont mind not having 100% of the water pass through the filter roller, its not like the filter socks holder that came with the sump is a perfect seal anyways. But the water trickling down the emergency drain is pretty loud. Would be quite annoying over time.

The funnel idea is basically to catch and direct water from the drain chamber, funnel it and direct the water into the roller mat inlet. Im probably over thinking and over complicating it tho. I could play with the idea a bit once I get my hands on a roller filter, but I see myself going back to a traditional plumbing method.
Did you ever try out the funnel idea? I have been contemplating the same thing with my Waterbox sump. I utilize the back chamber for my heaters as well as where the water going through my UV is pumped back into.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant tell were the water level switch is on the roller, if its close to the water level coming from the sump to the roller, it could cause issues there. There is technically no pressure on the water coming from the sock area in respect to water that would come from the overflow of the tank. Once the water level in the roller gets higher and covers the inlet inside the roller, water flow would slow drastically.

Reefstar97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interested in what you end up deciding. I was in the same position but my sump’s sock section is tight and surrounding chambers are acrylic bonded.

Didn’t want to bring out the hacksaw so going down the Klir di-4 route. It’s a direct drop into the 4” sock holes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back