Am I ok to add an anemone?

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up and running over a year and half. Algae is almost non existent and parameters stable for 2 weeks. See parameters.

Temp: 80F
Salinity: 1.027
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 2-5ppm
Phosphate: .04ppm
Alk: 12.2 (still a little high)
Calc: 450
No mag

Would the alk pose an issue or am I looking good for a nem? A local reefer is holding an RBTA for me since I helped him out with moving a tank.

Thoughts? Yay or nay? Second pic is my tank.

807480F4-C670-4E40-8093-1E5B7E00FA67.jpeg E38D3421-8C3D-4510-A85A-9E1DAEC93A2C.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im guessing he doesn't have a magnesium test kit. If we can get the type of salt mix he uses I'm sure we can guestimate the magnesium levels considering his tank isn't heavily stocked.
No test kit, should’ve clarified that. My apologies. I use the purple bag of instant ocean. I don’t really have a need to use reef crystals. Last water change was about a week ago using fresh mixed water.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure u can.....

Never been fan of putting time stamps when some coral or animal can go in tank.

If parameters are ok, go for it....

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, may want to find out the alk of the tank it’s coming from. Might need to acclimate it to your tank more slowly if it’s significantly lower. Some people keep alk at 6-7 so it could be a big change.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure u can.....

Never been fan of putting time stamps when some coral or animal can go in tank.

If parameters are ok, go for it....
I don’t think that stable parameters are the only consideration for whether a tank is ready for more sensitive corals/anemones. I don’t think that it’s fully understood yet, but all things being equal (lighting, flow, parameters, etc), some corals and anemones will do better in a mature tank versus an immature tank. My theory is that it’s a balanced and stable biome, immature tanks are bacterially volatile. I also think that if someone is inexperienced, waiting until they’ve kept their tank healthy and stable and kept some easier corals alive for at least six months to gain some experience before trying more advanced corals/anemones.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05398E57-EABB-4DE4-B5D6-478280BB7526.jpeg

Here is after acclimation, content in his cup. Next step is to try and get him out. Any suggestions? Took the picture through coral glasses since my blues are on.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one way I have read is to make some ice with rodi water and put it next to the foot. keep it there and it will let go to get away from it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need for ice, that's for when they can't be picked up at all due to having a textured surface to grip. The container is smooth, and as far as I know, bubble tip stings are pretty weak. Lightly touch it with the back of your hand, then wait a bit and see if you react. Assuming you don't, just take it out by hand. If you can get the edge of the foot to lift up, maybe ease the corner of a credit card under there you can peel the entire anemone off easily and place it wherever you want.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for ice, that's for when they can't be picked up at all due to having a textured surface to grip. The container is smooth, and as far as I know, bubble tip stings are pretty weak. Lightly touch it with the back of your hand, then wait a bit and see if you react. Assuming you don't, just take it out by hand. If you can get the edge of the foot to lift up, maybe ease the corner of a credit card under there you can peel the entire anemone off easily and place it wherever you want.
I tried to scoop it out gently after letting it sit in the tank like this for about 10 minutes. No reaction to stings (felt nothing and tentacles didn’t stick to skin). I’ll probably take a credit card or something similar and try to get under its foot. Could I use my turkey baster and try to spray water at its foot?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always place container next to the rock work and let the nem figure it out overnight. Nem Canon is another method. Should be a sticky for it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it!

From your pics, it looks like you have good light and flow.

Place the Nem in the tank and it will find a spot it likes.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always place container next to the rock work and let the nem figure it out overnight. Nem Canon is another method. Should be a sticky for it.
I have a rock weighing down the cup that’s the same size as the foot if not bigger in case he decides to move to the rock. I’ll probably try a nem cannon if he doesn’t move by tomorrow morning or I’ll sand down a plastic knife to remove the serrations and try and slide it under the foot and gently pry.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it!

From your pics, it looks like you have good light and flow.

Place the Nem in the tank and it will find a spot it likes.
I realized that I had my low violets set to like 10%… so I cranked them up to 75-100%. The bubbles were almost immediate. If the cup drifted to the edge of my tank, he’d become wider and tentacles skinny. Once I moved him back to the center of the light, he’d bubble right back up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back