Am I okay to add these chemicals to my tank at the same time?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change and for some reason mag, calcium and alkalinity are a little bit low (not by much but would still like to get it in range) and I have the seachem buffers for all of them but I don’t know if adding them all at the same time would be okay. Also we’re setting up an ATO and are gonna be adding some kalkwasser to the ATO water, so I’m just wondering if that’s too much dosing or if it’s okay to add all at once?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change and for some reason mag, calcium and alkalinity are a little bit low (not by much but would still like to get it in range) and I have the seachem buffers for all of them but I don’t know if adding them all at the same time would be okay. Also we’re setting up an ATO and are gonna be adding some kalkwasser to the ATO water, so I’m just wondering if that’s too much dosing or if it’s okay to add all at once?
You can add the magnesium and either the calcium or alkalinity at the same time. Then I would give it around 5 minutes to mix before adding the 3rd.
If your questions is if it could hurt your tank by dosing too much at once I would need to know how much you plan on raising your alk.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the magnesium and either the calcium or alkalinity at the same time. Then I would give it around 5 minutes to mix before adding the 3rd.
If your questions is if it could hurt your tank by dosing too much at once I would need to know how much you plan on raising your alk.
Okay thanks for the advice!! So I would be okay to add all the buffers today as long as I spread it out a bit? And my alkalinity is at around 6-7

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I test my water a couple times a week as I am still dialing my doser to my system. Sometimes I need to make corrections as my acros and clam are starting to grow.

I will dose Mag first and cal right after. Wait maybe 15 mins and dose alk. But I never dose enough to raise alk more than .5dkh in a single day. Thankfully I haven’t been that far off to begin with.

I believe some sources say to wait an hour between each but I find that is not necessary.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With anything in reef keeping you want to make changes slowly. Most of what I read has been to not raise ALK by 1.0 DKH, or 100 ppm in the other 2. Best means of doing it is using the BRS calculator and figure out a way to stretch it out by a week or two.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just don't use Seachem Reef Calcium. If you really want a Seachem product for calcium, use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium.

The "advantage" seems to be it is a good product (like all calcium chloride brands), not a poorly designed one that adds polygluconate that may or may not break down in your tank to add an indeterminate amount of alkalinity.. lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for the advice!! So I would be okay to add all the buffers today as long as I spread it out a bit? And my alkalinity is at around 6-7
If I have a sudden alk drop, I don't mind raising it aggressively. If it has drifted out of range slowly I like to restore it slowly. I am less concerned about rapid changes in calcium.
One thing I would suggest is to double check your salinity and make sure your tank is where you think it is.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back