Am I Overstocked or Fully stocked?

will my final stocking be fully stocked or overstocked?

• Total voters

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I want your opinions on whether or not my tank is overstocked or fully stocked, because it's a big difference. If you guys tell me I'm overstocked I will adjust my stocking accordingly, if I am fully stocked, I will keep my current stocking plan but add nothing else to it.

The tank is a 40 breeder, with approximately 45 gallons of total water volume (40 breeders hold closer to 45 gallons). The filtration is simple, a Seachem tidal 55 HOB filter with seachem matrix, purigen and phosguard for chemical filtration, about 60lbs of sand/crushed coral mix for a substrate and 40lbs of live rock. I do 10% weekly water change and I'm strict to that schedule.

Here's the fish i currently have;
-2 percula clowns
-flame hawkfish
-firefish
-bangaii cardinal
-six line wrasse

Heres' what i hope to add;
-Royal gramma OR Chalk Basslet (NOT BOTH)
-Bluespot Jawfish

So my question for you guys is.... will i be fully stocked or overstocked with this final stocking;
-2 percula clowns
-firefish
-Bangaii Cardinal
-Six Line Wrasse
-Flame Hawkfish
-Bluespot Jawfish
-Chalk Basslet OR Royal Gramma

8 fish in total! please let me know what you think, i dont want to overstock the tank to an unacceptable level, however i am good at maintenance and am perfectly content keeping up with a high - bioload system. Thanks Guys and Gals, happy reefing!

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be afraid all of those fish wouldn't like each others company in that size tank even if you keep up on the bioload. Peaceful fish still need their space.

d3beb90bc868e4256cb3d9f0b9fff413.jpg

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline might be problematic at some point. Firefish are rather timid and peaceful. Might be stressful.
So far no issues with the two. What do u suggest I do? I defs want the Bluespot Jawfish so I'm willing to re-home the flame hawk?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no issues with the two. What do u suggest I do? I defs want the Bluespot Jawfish so I'm willing to re-home the flame hawk?
Yes, those Bluespot Jawfish are nice!!! Well, at the end of the day, it’s your tank!!!! I’d say your definitely maxed out with that list. Luckily none of those fish get large. I’ve never owned a sixline, I’ve just read a bunch of horror stories about them and tank mates. I’d say throw you a Clown Trigger in there. ;)

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those Bluespot Jawfish are nice!!! Well, at the end of the day, it’s your tank!!!! I’d say your definitely maxed out with that list. Luckily none of those fish get large. I’ve never owned a sixline, I’ve just read a bunch of horror stories about them and tank mates. I’d say throw you a Clown Trigger in th
I'm okay with being maxed out, I just dont want to be overstocked haha

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 4 of you said I was fully stocked, 2 of you said I was overstocked, I've decided I'll add two more fish to the ones I currently have: instead of a basslet I'll add a springers damsel and a bluespot jawfish.

So final list will be;
-2 percula clowns
-springers damsel
- six line wrasse
- bangaii cardinal
- firefish
-flame Hawkfish
- bluespot jawfish

8 fish total, fully stocked.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: 4 of you said I was fully stocked, 2 of you said I was overstocked, I've decided I'll add two more fish to the ones I currently have: instead of a basslet I'll add a springers damsel and a bluespot jawfish.

So final list will be;
-2 percula clowns
-springers damsel
- six line wrasse
- bangaii cardinal
- firefish
-flame Hawkfish
- bluespot jawfish

8 fish total, fully stocked.
Also I am rescaping my tank to utilize swimming space better

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SECOND UPDATE:

i've decided to reduce the number of fish from 8 to 7, I'm just not comfortable pushing the limits that far, and I will get rid of one more fish if i feel its necessary after a few months of observation.

The fish i will be removing will be the firefish, as he's the most skittish fish in the tank, I'll be moving him to my 10 gallon where he will share that tank with a small goby and some crustaceans

So alas, the final stocking for my 45 gallon (40 breeder) is as follows....

-2 percula clowns
-six line wrasse
-bangaii cardinal
-flame hawkfish (will be removed if i feel its necessary)
-bluespot jawfish
-springers damsel

a total of 7 small, peaceful fish (assuming the six-line doesn't go on a murder spree)

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bluespot jawfish. Not a fan. The sixline will need a lid or net over the tank.
Add the chalk basselet and be done. You can change later down the road.
D

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have two fish not get along.. stock up and if it doesn’t work you can remove.. it will work though and you will be fine.
I can’t tell you how many times I have quarantined 3/4 decent sized tangs w wrasses in a 40.. objects in the tank as well. You are absolutely fine.
I currently have around 40
Fish in a 7x 3 foot
Tank, 14 tangs, 10 wrasses and others.. all swim and school together, there is some small fighting here n there, but the male crosshatch is king.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bluespot jawfish. Not a fan. The sixline will need a lid or net over the tank.
Add the chalk basselet and be done. You can change later down the road.
D
No, I've already bought the Bluespot, he's non negotiable. I have a heavy duty lid with magnets and glass

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have two fish not get along.. stock up and if it doesn’t work you can remove.. it will work though and you will be fine.
I can’t tell you how many times I have quarantined 3/4 decent sized tangs w wrasses in a 40.. objects in the tank as well. You are absolutely fine.
I currently have around 40
Fish in a 7x 3 foot
Tank, 14 tangs, 10 wrasses and others.. all swim and school together, there is some small fighting here n there, but the male crosshatch is king.
Yeah imma stick with 6 or 7 fish depending on if everyone gets along lol. So far my six line is a model citizen and my flame hawk is a minor jerk

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm aware that bluespot jawfish prefer cooler tps, however alot of people have success with them in reefs so I decided I'd give it a try. Literally my favorite fish on earth haha

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a beautiful fish brother. I think they just need sand and a burrow. They were $90 back in my day and prob at least $120. I just dont want you to have a spendy crispy carpet surfer bro. Beatiful fish and if you sustain even kooler.
D

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re dreaming if you think you’re fitting 100lbs of sand/rock and 45 gallons of water in a 40 breeder. Have you measured? Just out of curiosity.

OP
OP
dimitrinivo

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re dreaming if you think you’re fitting 100lbs of sand/rock and 45 gallons of water in a 40 breeder. Have you measured? Just out of curiosity.
my bad, total volume of the tank is 45 gallons when empty. I have around 60lbs of sand and 40lb of rock so yes, theres not 45 gallons of water in there, but i just consider it a 40 gallon

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back