Am I ready for more sps

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
So I started my tank in early December and have been going slowly. I added a Digi bubblegum around Jan 5th and it STN after a week, sad face...I also added a frogskin and it started to stn but slowly. I since have since been very strict on my parameters. I'm keeping it at :
Alk: 8.8 to 9.3
Ca: 400-520
mag: having issues its at 1240 but want it 1400.. using tropic classic, but switching to esv
nit: between 1.5- 5.0
phos: 0.03- 0.01

Since then frog has stopped STN and actually the tissue is growing back everywhere and very bright green. I put in an asd Cotten candy milli, or whatever its called, on feb 25, polyp extension is good and everything else has taken off.

Do you guys think I should wait a month or two more to add more sps, or can i add?

I added some pics, its night and I turned on the lights, that's why everything looks closed

IMG_5531.jpeg IMG_5532.jpeg IMG_5533.jpeg

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
So I started my tank in early December and have been going slowly. I added a Digi bubblegum around Jan 5th and it STN after a week, sad face...I also added a frogskin and it started to stn but slowly. I since have since been very strict on my parameters. I'm keeping it at :
Alk: 8.8 to 9.3
Ca: 400-520
mag: having issues its at 1240 but want it 1400.. using tropic classic, but switching to esv
nit: between 1.5- 5.0
phos: 0.03- 0.01

Since then frog has stopped STN and actually the tissue is growing back everywhere and very bright green. I put in an asd Cotten candy milli, or whatever its called, on feb 25, polyp extension is good and everything else has taken off.

Do you guys think I should wait a month or two more to add more sps, or can i add?

I added some pics, its night and I turned on the lights, that's why everything looks closed

IMG_5531.jpeg IMG_5532.jpeg IMG_5533.jpeg

Your phosphates are very low. Needs to be closer to 0.1 unless you want to be fighting dinos.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until the survivors you have encrust out and send up new verticals.

A 3mo old dry rock tank is pretty early for acros. You're ahead of the curve if what you have continues to live.
I agree, I have tried SPS early and has ended in disappointment, I would wait till you see your LPS taking off and tank matures. My second go round I waited almost a year and did not lose any of the SPS that I introduced.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As everyone is saying, your biome is pretty young for most SPS. There are exceptions of course, but I don't consider a biome to have sufficient maturity until I start seeing live sponge on the rock and in the sump. Some coralline should also be going as well. Until then, the odds are long.

OP
OP
R

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks soo much for the advice.. I’ll wait a couple months and see how these 2 have been doing.. in meantime anyway I can accelerate the bio diversity? Like photo and adding pods? Or is time the best solution?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and patience, grasshopper. My rock, which was live, cycled for 4 months before I put corals in there. Then every few months would add some more thereafter. I know the desire to get things moving but they have to get moving on their own based on your setup. Follow the advice you have received this far and you'll be stocked and thriving before you know it.

OP
OP
R

ROB6700a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and patience, grasshopper. My rock, which was live, cycled for 4 months before I put corals in there. Then every few months would add some more thereafter. I know the desire to get things moving but they have to get moving on their own based on your setup. Follow the advice you have received this far and you'll be stocked and thriving before you know it.
Thanks a lot for the advice!!!

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait and see hiwnthe 2 you have do. If they encrust, hold color and show new veritical growth add a few more. In the mean it keep the tank stable and nutrients in a good range as well as add more easy coral to add biodiversity.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back