Amazing Growth & Polyp Extension But Lack of Tissue Color

Britxcdn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Having a bit of an issue with my first Acro frag that is puzzling me.

I was sold this frag about 1.5 months ago as Bali Green Slimmer. You can see the picture from when it first went in the tank. I've also provided some up to date images from today as well as a quick video.

The growth you're seeing occurred over 1.5 months and im ecstatic that it's growing so quickly. It also looks like the polyp extension is phenomenal at least based on my limited experience with acro and others pointing out they sometimes never see decent PE.

The main thing im concerned about is the overall color (or lack of) on the skeleton itself. The video doesn't do a great job but the tips of the new growth are much more green than the base where it looks almost bleached. The color of the skeleton itself hasn't gotten worse since I got it but hasn't improved. I guess my biggest point of confusion is coming from my LPS success where im judging how happy the coral is based on polyp extension and I guess im wrong in thinking that because this acro is nicely extended and growing quickly that it still may not be happy? I should also mention that the polyps themselves are showing phenomenal color that the video doesn't do justice, they are VERY vibrant and have only gotten nicer since I put it in the tank.

In the video there's also another acro I put in about a month ago (2 weeks after the Bali). It too has polyp extension but the skeleton still has its color and is what im comparing it too. The tank overall I feel is doing really well. LPS and softies are growing, colouring up, and extended. Coraline is growing consistently, I have zero problems with nuisance algae thanks to be Kole tank working the rock and my diamond goby keeping the sand bed pristine. pests is also something I haven't thankfully had to deal with much since my 2 wrasse seem to be CIA agents hunting down their targets.

Video:

Some Tank Information

Waterbox 4820 Peninsula (Established October 2021)
2x Redsea Gyres
2x Nero 5s
3x Radion G5s (2 XR15s 1 XR30) Running the AB+ schedule at about 45% (ramp up 12pm ramp down 10:30pm)
IceCap Co2 Scrubber
2x Redsea dosing pumps

Parameters:
  • Salinity 1.026
  • PH 8.4 (pegged)
  • Alk 10 (Dosing AFR hourly)
  • Nitrates 15ppm
  • Po4 0.02ppm
  • Calcium 440
  • Magnesium 1400
  • Temp 78.5
  • 10% Water Change 1x week
  • (Been feeling really good about these the last 6 months because I feel I've nailed stability across all of these parameters, even nitrates and phosphates are stable at those numbers when I test every 3 days)
Products & Dosing (Virtually everything is Fauna Marin)
  • FM Reef Salt
  • FM Amin (1.5ml daily)
  • FM Organic (2 ml daily)
  • FM Coral Vitality (3 drops daily)
  • FM Bacto Blend (5ml Daily)
  • FM Bacto Energy (1.5ml Daily)
  • FM Red/Blue/Green Elements (0.5ml daily)
  • FM Coral Sprint (1x week usually day before water change)
  • Trop Marin AFR (30ml daily spread out hourly)
  • AF Granular Activated Carbon (mesh bag in sump)
Feeding
  • Fish are fed twice a day. LRS Reef Frenzy just after lights come on and pellets closer to lights out
  • Coral food/supplements are set on the dose described above

I hope this is enough information to go on but if not please let me know. Thank you very much in advance.

IMG_1448.jpeg IMG_1307.jpeg IMG_1308.jpeg IMG_1309.jpeg IMG_1447.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Britxcdn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt Oh thank you that's interesting, yours also looks slightly white at the skeleton itself so maybe im over reacting. I think I'm expecting that the skeleton/tissue itself should be just as green as the polyps unless that's just not the case for this Acro?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt Oh thank you that's interesting, yours also looks slightly white at the skeleton itself so maybe im over reacting. I think I'm expecting that the skeleton/tissue itself should be just as green as the polyps unless that's just not the case for this Acro?
The tips of the skeleton are white from growth of the calcium carbonate skeleton. You will find that frags of acros will have a different color than colonies also. Yours looks like it is happy and growing nicely.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBum had a guest, Dong Zou, that talks about sps polyp extension, tissue color, and overall health differences between wild and aquaculture, I would def listen to it, it’s very good, I learned a lot.

the frag looks great to me, but lack of color and that low PO4 number I might correlate if mine.

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBum had a guest, Dong Zou, that talks about sps polyp extension, tissue color, and overall health differences between wild and aquaculture, I would def listen to it, it’s very good, I learned a lot.

the frag looks great to me, but lack of color and that low PO4 number I might correlate if mine.
Thanks I'm watching it now

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back