Ambient light… good or bad?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m planning to set up my 33g tank in my living room. We have lots of windows that create a nice ambient light in this area without direct sunlight. I’m wondering him much impact it will have on my tank and the corals in it. Is it best to move it to a low light area? This spot is ideal but I rather move it incase it gives me too much headache in the long run. What is your opinion and experience with it? Picture below was taken during a very bright sunny day. Thanks.

BD28A2F7-7B09-4FA3-A836-8CB3F58DF35A.jpeg

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ambient light won’t harm anything. It’s the direct sunlight you want to avoid.
Thanks! I could probably turn the white in my light to zero then? Or would you recommend still adding a bit in my settings?

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using some white is still beneficial but just be careful not to crank it. I've had little to no white on my lights for a couple years and started to get tired of the all blue look. I avoided it of course because of algae. I added a bit of white gradually and my coral seemed to really like it.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using some white is still beneficial but just be careful not to crank it. I've had little to no white on my lights for a couple years and started to get tired of the all blue look. I avoided it of course because of algae. I added a bit of white gradually and my coral seemed to really like it.
How long do you leave your lights on? Say in this case where you have some ambient light and you want to enjoy your tank with lights on from 10:00 am up till 9 pm … would that give the corals an overexposure to light?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is in a house with 71 windows... gets a LOT of light, my photo period is, ramp up from 7 to 8 and ramp down 7 to 8

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you leave your lights on? Say in this case where you have some ambient light and you want to enjoy your tank with lights on from 10:00 am up till 9 pm … would that give the corals an overexposure to light?
i have never had any problem whatsoever, not even extra algae

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals/nem LOVE their ambient light. They get it before the overhead lights kick on and it makes for a good ramp up and a natural morning/evening. Since moving to this tank they’ve never looked better- it’s anecdotal (wait maybe it’s science) but I blame it on the sun.

Last edited:

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone say direct sunlight?

P_20230824_091853.jpg

P_20230928_102608.jpg

In my experience there is no such thing as "too much sunlight/ambient light". Any and all corals I've had will gladly soak up as much of it as they can get, and algae only becomes a problem if you lack proper nutrient management and/or a cleaning crew that can take care of it.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

P_20230824_091853.jpg

P_20230928_102608.jpg

In my experience there is no such thing as "too much sunlight/ambient light". Any and all corals I've had will gladly soak up as much of it as they can get, and algae only becomes a problem if you lack proper nutrient management and/or a cleaning crew that can take care of it.
(My tank)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! I’m planning to set up my 33g tank in my living room. We have lots of windows that create a nice ambient light in this area without direct sunlight. I’m wondering him much impact it will have on my tank and the corals in it. Is it best to move it to a low light area? This spot is ideal but I rather move it incase it gives me too much headache in the long run. What is your opinion and experience with it? Picture below was taken during a very bright sunny day. Thanks.

BD28A2F7-7B09-4FA3-A836-8CB3F58DF35A.jpeg
Looks nice, IMHO ambient light will not be harmful to the tank - or the fish. I think it may be beneficial to the fish, stress-wise, to be able to see out into the room. It also means that you can turn your lights on perhaps a little later depending on how much light you're receiving. It looks like a nice tank.

I think I might consider - depending on where windows are compared to the tank, during the day, it may be more difficult to see into the tank due to reflected light off of the glass. Second, at night - I'm assuming that your couch is facing something you look at like a TV, etc - so you may see the reflection of the tank in whatever is in front of your couch.

Are those floors 'real wood' - if so you may want to consider some protection under the tank stand.

Best of luck on your new tank!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you consider the time that the sun shines in the warmer regions, I don't think thats an issue

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice, IMHO ambient light will not be harmful to the tank - or the fish. I think it may be beneficial to the fish, stress-wise, to be able to see out into the room. It also means that you can turn your lights on perhaps a little later depending on how much light you're receiving. It looks like a nice tank.

I think I might consider - depending on where windows are compared to the tank, during the day, it may be more difficult to see into the tank due to reflected light off of the glass. Second, at night - I'm assuming that your couch is facing something you look at like a TV, etc - so you may see the reflection of the tank in whatever is in front of your couch.

Are those floors 'real wood' - if so you may want to consider some protection under the tank stand.

Best of luck on your new I

Best of luck on your new tank!
That is real wood. Thanks for all the advice I’m sure I’m going to spill every now and then You suggest like a rubber mat or something?

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

P_20230824_091853.jpg

P_20230928_102608.jpg

That thank is looking great! I’m so happy I posted this here. I almost felt forced to move my tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is real wood. Thanks for all the advice I’m sure I’m going to spill every now and then You suggest like a rubber mat or something?
Honestly - every possible solution has its negatives - what you don't want is to have water sitting 'under' something against your floor. I don't know if your stand has the option of adding legs - which allows air circulation under the tank - or the ability for you to dry the tank. I might ask the manufacturer for a potential solution?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have this problem, i just lay down multiple junk towels i have.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to have SPS or LPS
Don’t have any kind of ambient light. I lost one of my biggest Birdsnest corals due to sun light hitting the left side of my tank as well as minor damage to others… that have recovered their flesh. Forgot to close the blinds on the left side of the house, since winter is around the corner sunlight was in that favor of direction. Lesson learned. Keep bright house lights on only during the day light schedule of the tank but dim ur light when the tank is already all pitch black. (Lights off)
I’m clearly talking about Ambient sun light not sunset direct hit.
Anyways either way. If I forgot to close the blinds who knows you will… wouldn’t risk it. (Avoid future “headache”) In fearing it may happen.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back