Ambient room temp change

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does the ambient room temp affect your reef tank temp?

If ambient temp changes are inevitable what are ways to help reduce swings in the tank?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let it swing to some extent. My temperature is set at 77.2F and my fans come on at 79.0F. Had a couple of warm days here and this is what tank temperature did on those days, rose a degree or so during the day time.

1000003572.jpg

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I ask is I’m sure I’ll end up having temp swings because I primarily heat with a wood stove and always have a ceiling fan running to keep the heat as even in the house as I can.

So I just trying to plan on how to mitigate the swings the best I can.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I ask is I’m sure I’ll end up having temp swings because I primarily heat with a wood stove and always have a ceiling fan running to keep the heat as even in the house as I can.

So I just trying to plan on how to mitigate the swings the best I can.
If you have heaters for the tank and use air conditioning in the summer, there shouldn’t be fluctuations.

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have heaters for the tank and use air conditioning in the summer, there shouldn’t be fluctuations.
Oh yeah of course there will be heaters. Luckily where I’m at I don’t generally need AC, my house almost never gets much over mid 70’s.

Now winter time of course it can dip down into the low 60’s but only for awhile if the fire dies down through the night.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah of course there will be heaters. Luckily where I’m at I don’t generally need AC, my house almost never gets much over mid 70’s.

Now winter time of course it can dip down into the low 60’s but only for awhile if the fire dies down through the night.
There are sites to help you calculate how much watts you need for your heaters. This is just an example : https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/HeaterChillerSizing.php

Having 2 smaller ones is best, hooked to an Inkbird controller, for redundancy and more precision.

OP
OP
boisblancboy

boisblancboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It’s still in the box, I’ll check the specs.
You might be able to seal the ends of the probe with plastic. I have a ranco temp controller for my sumped 29 gallon. I have two heaters hooked to the probe for winter heating. In the summer I usually only need one running. I set my controller temp to 78 and it doesn't drop in the winter, furnace temp ranges 65 to 72. Summer house temps are 75 to 80+, once it is over 80 in the house I'm running A/C and maybe fans over the tank or sump.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back