Americans vs Europeans

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to add a third perspective from what I know about my situation so far. It’s really ironic how I live not too far from where most Marine fish and corals in the hobby are collected from (Guangzhou is a couple hours away from the South China Sea which expands into the broader Indo-Pacific, West Pacific and Central / South Pacific).

One thing that makes me sad is how I read about all of your livestock selections AND equipment and being in a developing country, we have a much harder time getting access to much of it. There’s a bigger hobby just across the border in HK where @ScottR is but going there and buying livestock isn’t an option for me due to border controls.

I try my best to source Western stuff before going back and starting my tank, but it’s still pretty hard because I have to rely on international shipping and many don’t ship. Plus the hobby in China is just so new that I guess a lot of people in both the hobby and the industry are still figuring stuff out.

Being a Chinese-Canadian with a native command of English it’s only natural for me to believe in you guys and your way of doing things, whether US or EU. However I am not sure if even the LFS in China have become “enlightened” to Western advances. I see so many people keeping Tangs in way undersized Tangs, even multiple Tangs and they think it’s okay. Tank lids / mesh tops haven’t really caught on while I believe they’re absolutely required. The overall selection of livestock in China excludes pretty much all Atlantic species with the Royal Gramma being the only fish making somewhat frequent appearances.

If the wholesalers are being honest, I sometimes see CB Blue Tangs and Foxface Los on their import lists. That may be one thing that’s yet to happen in the NA or EU scene.

Overall for my first tank I’m not going to do any really fancy corals, my goal would be to stock it with fish and corals that I like and have ready access to. Hopefully the end result won’t be too bad. No BRS, no Sustainable Aquatics, WWC, Diver’s Den, Blue Zoo etc.

The hobby in Taiwan is somewhat bigger and I’m also registered on a Taiwanese forum but I find the people there more reserved than you guys here. I haven’t checked out the hobby in Hong Kong.

Perhaps Japan, South Korea, HK and Singapore are further ahead than China though I can’t say for sure. What really impressed me was browsing through Reef Builders and seeing a Japanese hobbyist’s tank with almost exclusively super rare, very deep water fish.

There’s no way that I or the hobby here will be able to match any of you guys Coral for Coral, fish for fish, equipment for equipment any time soon. I’ll have to be content with what I get.

For now my goal is to learn the ropes and aim for the health and longevity of what livestock I can get (which will always be a goal at any point) rather than variety or really “branching out” to more stuff.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, so many thoughts, and not sure how to put them all into words. Reefkeeping in the USA used to be a lot more like how the OP describes Euro reefkeeping. There was less collector-itis and more reef building. While I totally respect that things change and feel happy that people get joy out of pokeman card collecting tanks, I'm still in the reef building camp.

I think something that has been lost on a lot of recent reefkeepers is that modern reefkeeping was essentially founded in Europe. Anyone who kept marine aquaria in the late 80's and 90's remembers pre-internet reefkeeping. Information spread much more slowly, through monthly publications and books. I was just a middle schooler, but I remember that the Berlin method was highly controversial when it was proposed to American reefkeepers as an alternative to our wet-dry systems. There were some heated debates in the magazines. You see, Berlin hobbyists figured out that letting the live rock and corals manage nutrients was better than a highly aerobic nitrate factory like a wet-dry filter. It's crazy today to think that running a reef with just live rock, protein skimmer, and carbon seemed controversial back then.

Prior to that, a Swiss reefkeeper named Peter Wilkens popularized the idea that we need to replenish Calcium and Alkalinity to grow stony corals more effectively. There's a reason we still refer to it as "Kalkwasser". He also popularized the use of carbon. His book, The Saltwater Aquarium for Tropical Marine Invertebrates, was a game changer.

Kalk stirrers are also called "Nilsen Reactors", thanks to Norwegian Alf Jacob Nilsen. He and Fossa wrote a series of books, called The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium. Those books blew my mind. And if you ever read it, you'll notice there's a big emphasis on the ecosystem and building a reef, versus collecting frags. This hobby came into it's own at the same time I grew from a teen into an adult. So I have a nostalgic sentiment towards the hobby.

Calcium Reactor? They used to be called Löbbecke Reactors, referring to the Löbbecke Museum in Dusseldorf. Someone named Hebbinghaus first described the design in 1994.

Back in the day, there wasn't much in reef aquarium specific lighting available. The Euro guys figured out that a bulb designed for printing was excellent for growing corals and supplementing the full spectrum bulbs available in the hobby. That bulb was the Philips Actinic 03 bulb.

SPS fanatics should give credit to Dietrich Stüber, who had an Acropora hitchhike on some live rock in the 1980's. At the time it was generally believed that Acropora were impossible to keep in captivity. That hitchhiker Acro in Berlin, the Stuber Acropora, was the first documented thriving Acropora in a home aquarium.

Because electricity was cheap in the USA, we used to run these crazy downdraft and beckett skimmers with power hungry pumps, which left the venturi and airstone skimmers in the dust. The Euro folks popularized a more efficient needle-wheel venturi design that is popular today. One of the first popular needle-wheel skimmer brands in the US was called "Euro-Reef"... lol. :)

Anyway, a lot of this hobby that we take for granted is rooted in European reefkeeping. I'd say one of the major historic contributions out of the USA is algal filtration. Turf scrubbers and Refugiums were popularized by Walter Adey from the Smithsonian. And I think much more great stuff has come out of the USA since then. It's great that there's a market for these things now. I love my AI Hydras and my Neptune Apex. And the availability of microfeeds from folks like Reed Mariculture has helped captive breeding.

To this day, I'm not interested in fruit stand tanks and reefs that are "windex" glow in the dark blue. I'm glad those tanks bring people joy, but older grown in tanks are what excite me. I think growing large mature corals demonstrates skill, patience, and dedication. Showing a collection of rare LE frags just demonstrates you can spend money. I also favor R2R threads that dig into the science side and experimental nature of the hobby. Ironically, those threads tend to come from European folks like @Lasse and others. :)
one of the best posts on the history of the hobby I've ever read, thanks for that

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back