Amino acids and reef roids

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently bought the Acropower Amino Acids for my mixed reef (LPS and softy) as I was told this will do just fine for them. Its only been a few days haven't noticed much yet but my question is can i still feed Reef Roids a couple days a week if I'm dosing Acropower daily? Or is that too much? Also, I heard great things about Red Sea AB+ and wanted to know which is considered better out of Acropower and AB+.

Thanks

40B
Hang on equipment

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Takes a month or longer to really see results. And take pictures so you can see the progress or if there isn't any.

Acro power and ab+ are essentially the same stuff....ok not exactly the same but think of it as different brands of all in 1 vitamins.

Adding both won't hurt your tank.

I Just add half of the recommend amount of each.

Yes you can still feed reefroids. They are high in p04 so watch that level and n03 to keep them balanced.

Send an icp off once a month to make sure you aren't over doing it on trace elements and you should be fine.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose or have dosed ab+, acropower, roids, lots of other foods throughout the week and have never noticed negative effects. I do not feed more than one food a day however and feed sparingly or direct feed things like roids.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for this! I'm starting to notice polyp extension in some of my corals, but that could be from bringing my no3 and po4 down from a big water change and the corals feel better now.

Thanks for the Reef Roid tips. I'll use just a little bit since I like to spot feed.

I currently have Zoas, Clove Polyps, GSP, Taodstool leather, Elegance, couple Hammers, Frogspawn, Octospawn, Goni that refuses to open , and Cyphastrea. So pretty easy corals. I'm just afraid to over feed the tank of anything after an almost crash last week

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note with the ab+ is you have to refrigerate it once opened. Not too big of a deal but it can be a bit annoying if your refrigerator is on a different floor of the house lol.

I started with ab+ and have noticed an immediate feeding response and most of my lps (mainly acans) have puffed up nicely since using it.

I also got acropower later on to try since it doesn’t have to be refrigerated. I haven’t noticed too much with it (since I’m already using ab+) but I did seem to start developing red Cyano when I started it up. I’ve stopped using it for now until I get through my bottle of ab+.

I do also use reef roids every few days in conjunction with daily doses of ab+.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note with the ab+ is you have to refrigerate it once opened. Not too big of a deal but it can be a bit annoying if your refrigerator is on a different floor of the house lol.

I started with ab+ and have noticed an immediate feeding response and most of my lps (mainly acans) have puffed up nicely since using it.

I also got acropower later on to try since it doesn’t have to be refrigerated. I haven’t noticed too much with it (since I’m already using ab+) but I did seem to start developing red Cyano when I started it up. I’ve stopped using it for now until I get through my bottle of ab+.

I do also use reef roids every few days in conjunction with daily doses of ab+.
Hmm good to know. Thanks. So I'll keep Acropower and use the Roids but half the recommended dose to start and track nutrients

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose or have dosed ab+, acropower, roids, lots of other foods throughout the week and have never noticed negative effects. I do not feed more than one food a day however and feed sparingly or direct feed things like roids.
Good to know. I appreciate the feedback. I'll try that!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently bought the Acropower Amino Acids for my mixed reef (LPS and softy) as I was told this will do just fine for them. Its only been a few days haven't noticed much yet but my question is can i still feed Reef Roids a couple days a week if I'm dosing Acropower daily? Or is that too much? Also, I heard great things about Red Sea AB+ and wanted to know which is considered better out of Acropower and AB+.

Thanks

40B
Hang on equipment
Where are your nutrients?

If your Nitrate is above 2 and your phosphate above 0.03 , adding Amino Acids or other nutients are a waste of time and money, and will in all likelyhood simply brown out any coral you have.

They are a byproduct of when we were all trying to run ULNS tanks where Nitrate and Phosphate were barely measurable.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

If your Nitrate is above 2 and your phosphate above 0.03 , adding Amino Acids or other nutients are a waste of time and money, and will in all likelyhood simply brown out any coral you have.

They are a byproduct of when we were all trying to run ULNS tanks where Nitrate and Phosphate were barely measurable.

I dose AB+ for 2 months now. My nitrate is 3ppm and my phos is at .03. This is in addition to dosing neophos and neonitro . I am guessing my filtration is doing a good job . I feed heavy as well. Reef roids, benepets slurry for the corals and quality frozen foods that I mix for the fish. Heavy in...Heavy out.

AB is giving awesome results. Better colors and PE. Glass does get algae film quicker tho.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've found this to be true, also.

My take is that in a system that has an appropriate fish population and corals that are fed at least occasionally, these supplemental amino acid products are really not necessary, at best, and can often lead to cyano outbreaks, at worst, as the system becomes increasing eutrophic. This can be countered by increasing export, but then the question becomes why make things more difficult if it isn't necessary.

Where I can see them being useful is when a coral is in bad shape due to starvation, recovery from over medication, disease, etc. Supplemental aminos can provide them with the energy boost that they need to get back to a more healthy condition.

As they say: 'Your results may vary' and 'It's a question of balance' :)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back