Ammonia and bacteria

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2024
Messages
68
Reaction score
50
Location
Louisville
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is I just started a 150 gal tank it is finally down to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 25ppm nitrates. My question is since bacteria consume ammonia
will all the bacteria die while I'm waiting on my fish? I ordered from Dr. Reefs and it may be a week or more. I have some pods and phyto coming in the next few days
 
No but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a water change or add some macroalgae (if you also have phosphates). Kudos for going with QT'd fish
 
Carbon dosing how I dropped my nitrates. Had to add phosphates, however. Kept feeding it ammonium chloride as I waited to add life and that built up the bacterial population to the point I was able to increase my daily dosage of ammonium chloride.
 
what should nitrates be before adding fish?


I prefer less than 25ppm because its easier to control. However, what is considered good or high is not really clear other than having a few ppm be the minimum for a stable tank.
 
Fish much more tolerant of higher nitrates. Corals becomes debatable as it appears lots of range provided by users but I'd be aiming for 25 ppm or less as well. Easiest for me to keep them under 20 although running algae scrubbers and Fuge can bottom that out quickly and I purposely overfeed therefore not concerned with zero as I know there's always an influx of nutrients being processed quickly. Heavy in. Heavy out the term I've heard and how I approach tanks.
 
My question is I just started a 150 gal tank it is finally down to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 25ppm nitrates. My question is since bacteria consume ammonia
will all the bacteria die while I'm waiting on my fish? I ordered from Dr. Reefs and it may be a week or more. I have some pods and phyto coming in the next few days
Ol timers would pee in the tank

I dare ya
 
I'll do like a 25 gallon water change tomorrow that will bring it below 20 if my math is somewhere near correct lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new