Ammonia and Nitrite spike

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a newly set up Red Sea Reefer 250 and have slowly been adding livestock. 2 clowns and some cuc. The tank is very young and I know I've rushed this but here I am, 3 weeks old. I did kick start my cycling with FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 and FritzZyme 9. I forgot to check my levels before adding my third fish and once I did my test kit is showing ammonia and nitrite present. I quickly added Fritz Zyme 9 and Kent Pro-Ammonia Detox. Should I do a water change this afternoon? I also picked up Seachem AmGuard and Prime today over lunch and am prepared to use that this evening as well if you all think that's a decent idea.

Thanks,

Rob

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the bet is you have no free ammonia

you mentioned two standout details that align your thread w that one. post pics.
1. current fish not dead.
2. more than 48 hours in that condition
3. inferred-tank has active surface area rocks/sand is optional.

*consider slow on fish now due to crypto prevention trials being looked into, not due to free ammonia.

nitrite has no bearing at all, in updated cycling science we do not factor it at all.

its only the ammonia we focus on for a good reason. pics are expected to show even fish distribution not any lack of oxygen availability due to gill damage, the certain result of any sustained free ammonia above safe levels. pics of clear water will seal the deal. prime is expected to cause misreads / factored above. very redundant additions of bottle bac, factored. this one is certain to reflect well in pics.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actions recommended based on state of free ammonia: two choices

-cease testing for ammonia and nitrate and proceed. all the random test stuff will balance out in time and none of it is harmless currently, or you'd be reporting hazy water and dead fish.

-change out water if you like, and still proceed. probably less algae fuel this way

ammonia will not fail to naturally control itself in this reef as long as you keep it wet, circulated, free of accumulating waste, and no dead fish.

ammonia is the most predictable compound in reefing bc our systems are so hungry for it 24/7 they're perfectly designed to uptake the single most poisonous compound your fish will see on a daily basis.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back