Ammonia at 5 in QT. Please help.

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I set up a 30 gallon quarantine tank and had multiple fish survive but also die in it. I realized that my ammonia levels are pretty high so I did 50% water changes, replaced a hanging filter, and even put in a protein skimmer just in case. I removed any floating food and would have thought it would cure the issue. But the ammonia is still high. I also added API quick start, all while I wait for sponges to soak for a few weeks in my main tank so I can add them later.

Any idea on what could be causing ammonia levels to be high and what I can do to fix it? Greatly appreciate your input.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the whole bottle of quick start, and put sponges in immediately for there to be surface area for the bacteria to live on. Prime or similar products can be used for ammonia emergencies.

Was the QT cycled? If not, then that is the issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Before you react or add something. . . You may be getting false reading especially if using an API test kit. Also if you are testing right after a water change or adding bacteria - you may be getting false readings.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I set up a 30 gallon quarantine tank and had multiple fish survive but also die in it. I realized that my ammonia levels are pretty high so I did 50% water changes, replaced a hanging filter, and even put in a protein skimmer just in case. I removed any floating food and would have thought it would cure the issue. But the ammonia is still high. I also added API quick start, all while I wait for sponges to soak for a few weeks in my main tank so I can add them later.

Any idea on what could be causing ammonia levels to be high and what I can do to fix it? Greatly appreciate your input.
Anything added to cycle the tank or provide a source of bacteria? Another large water change and some fritz.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any idea on what could be causing ammonia levels to be high and what I can do to fix it? Greatly appreciate your inpuyou have a Seachem ammonia alert badge or are you using a TAN ammonia test kit? What is your pH? First thing I would do would be to add a a bottle of Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia.
Do you have a Seachem ammonia alert badge? This will indicate the true amount of NH3 ( toxic ammonia). I would buy a bottle of Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the whole bottle of quick start, and put sponges in immediately for there to be surface area for the bacteria to live on. Prime or similar products can be used for ammonia emergencies.

Was the QT cycled? If not, then that is the issue.
It's been running for about a month with basically the same readings. Thank you for the suggestion.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Seachem ammonia alert badge? This will indicate the true amount of NH3 ( toxic ammonia). I would buy a bottle of Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia.
I used two separate API kits and my alert badge shows a bit better result 0.25, but the colors seem to blend a bit so it may be higher.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything added to cycle the tank or provide a source of bacteria? Another large water change and some fritz.
I've been keeping two sponges in my DT for about two weeks, heard you need to do that for about three weeks before moving to QT.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been running for about a month with basically the same readings. Thank you for the suggestion.

So it's constantly 5? In that case, I would maybe consider another test kit. Have you checked to see if there is any nitrite?

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's constantly 5? In that case, I would maybe consider another test kit. Have you checked to see if there is any nitrite?
Using API strips, API ammonia test kit and NYOS. Same result more or less. Waiting to receive Seachem Prime. Will let you know what happens.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using API strips, API ammonia test kit and NYOS. Same result more or less. Waiting to receive Seachem Prime. Will let you know what happens.

Did you register nitrite at all?

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the API test strips showbtuem to be between 3-5. I'm a novice at this for sure, learning information like drinking from a fire hose.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the API test strips showbtuem to be between 3-5. I'm a novice at this for sure, learning information like drinking from a fire hose.
This thread is very odd. Can you show us a pic of your DT? It’s like a spoof thread.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is very odd. Can you show us a pic of your DT? It’s like a spoof thread.
That's an odd thing to say, but I'll humor you. Here's the tank. I do agree the issue is odd, I never would believe I would have a problem with QT of all things.

Attachments

• 20210804_205256.jpg
    20210804_205256.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an odd thing to say, but I'll humor you. Here's the tank. I do agree the issue is odd, I never would believe I would have a problem with QT of all things.
More pics.

Attachments

• 20210804_210017.jpg
    20210804_210017.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210804_210009.jpg
    20210804_210009.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 53

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy you need to look up the specs on that skimmer. They need to be run at a certain height of water. Six and nine inches. You have yours mostly submerged. It's not really able to do much there if anything.

Look up the specs and if you want to keep it in which I don't see a big purpose for, use something like a PVC rack to elevate it to the correct water level.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy you need to look up the specs on that skimmer. They need to be run at a certain height of water. Six and nine inches. You have yours mostly submerged. It's not really able to do much there if anything.

Look up the specs and if you want to keep it in which I don't see a big purpose for, use something like a PVC rack to elevate it to the correct water level.
Thank you, I will take a look. It's collecting brown stuff like crazy though.

OP
OP
J

Jamon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you register nitrite at all?
I am just lost at this point. I did a 50% water change, threw in API Ammo Lock, bought yet another Master Test Kit and my results still look off the charts. Should I just start from scratch, empty the whole QT and put in new salt water? My high PH result was appx. 7.8, Ammonia appx..0.75, nitrate around 60 and nitrite around 1-2, difficult to match colors exactly.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just lost at this point. I did a 50% water change, threw in API Ammo Lock, bought yet another Master Test Kit and my results still look off the charts. Should I just start from scratch, empty the whole QT and put in new salt water? My high PH result was appx. 7.8, Ammonia appx..0.75, nitrate around 60 and nitrite around 1-2, difficult to match colors exactly.
No. Do not empty it. Your fish will die from shock. Do a 10% water change everyday until it is populated with enough nitrifying bacteria.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back