Hi I'm cour blind and my wife is out is this ammonia test OK

15912886434723367889184649358701.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks somewhere between 0 and 0.1 to me. If you mix up a batch of new saltwater and get the same color, I'd guess it's really 0.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need to see pics of the tank to assess your ammonia, not the tester. :)

agreed it looks very low level.

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 15
Ammonia as in picture
Alk 8
Ph 8
Nitrite 0
Phophate 0.03
Just trying to get to bottom of cloudiness

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that description, I'd guess your ammonia is 0 and your cloudiness is due to a bacterial bloom. Are you carbon dosing by chance? UV sterilizer was a good move- if it's a bacterial bloom, it should help.

I'd still test some saltwater to confirm ammonia is truely 0. I'd be happy to loan my eyes if you need :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. the ammonia is in the safe range no matter what that tester might say and in this case it looks pretty darn accurate for the intended use. if it spiked to a clear obvious change overnite, something formerly swimming has died ~

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nothing dead thanks for your your help guys hopefully tommorow be nice and clear it's a vecton 600 uv on a 100g so it's slightly over sized for the tank which will help

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that description, I'd guess your ammonia is 0 and your cloudiness is due to a bacterial bloom. Are you carbon dosing by chance? UV sterilizer was a good move- if it's a bacterial bloom, it should help.

I'd still test some saltwater to confirm ammonia is truely 0. I'd be happy to loan my eyes if you need :)
Thanks I'm OK as long as the wife or kids are around well apart from the head ache that goes with them

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a tenet rule in reefing that will help you in the future.

Unless you dose antibiotics to this system, or have dead fish you can't account for visually swimming in the tank, your ammonia can by rule never, ever, ever starve out or drift even the slightest out of spec. for eighty years, in spec. if you pass the tank down generations and in 280 years, not out of spec

wet=bac live and get resources to live through contaminants in your home much less all the feed reserves packed into a sand + rock system.

A firm, unbreakable rule in 2020 updated cycling science is that cycled surfaces kept wet do not retrograde or lose bioload control ability. Bac get their own feed, if we withhold

Your ammonia cannot drift out of spec, so actually needing to test for ammonia or nitrite even again for the life of the reef isn't required. as a matter of pride I can't own an ammonia test kit lol, always got by on the prediction science. your other params can drift, but not ammonia. your cycle completion/ability to control a bioload is locked in by aeons of adaptation to existing in water.

ill be reefing the rest of my life and Ill never own an ammonia kit to use on my tank, although I can see buying one to conduct my own speed cycling experiments one day for fun.

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[/QUOTE

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out I have lots of problems I hadn't had a proper look In tank when I got in as u was straight I to fitting uv sterliser and water chamgr on my 3 FW tanks I have 3 dead damsels and my pbt look like velvet no chance catching the pbt

IMG_20200604_192427.jpg

OP
OP
4tanks

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dossed ank with prime precautionary currently mixing 50 ltr salt water up for a change any other advice welcome right now

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, todays best science im pretty sure from the fish forums says all fish have to be removed, tank fallowed, restart fish after qt elsewhere

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back