Ammonia in instant ocean ?and prolonged copper treatment

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel that just hit 30 days in copper power for ich. I still have a month plus of fallow time before it can go back into display. I read IO salt mix will raise ammonia and I already had trouble a few weeks ago before the new QT cycled and had to add ammonia remover. Wondering if I should just leave it in copper for another month versus doing a big water change to reduce copper but potentially causing ammonia to go up. I have a sponge from the old tank for bacteria but afraid of ammonia trouble again. Nitrite finally just dropped to near zero and ammonia has been absent since I used the remover.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read IO salt mix will raise ammonia
Where did you hear that from? Ive used IO many times and they are by far the largest producer of salt for the marine hobby and public aquariums. I have never tested for ammonia in my IO salt mixes, but I cant imagine that is true.

I would fully remove from copper power since the 30 days is over. This gives you a good opportunity to observe the fish for a month prior to adding it back to your display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a flame angel that just hit 30 days in copper power for ich. I still have a month plus of fallow time before it can go back into display. I read IO salt mix will raise ammonia and I already had trouble a few weeks ago before the new QT cycled and had to add ammonia remover. Wondering if I should just leave it in copper for another month versus doing a big water change to reduce copper but potentially causing ammonia to go up. I have a sponge from the old tank for bacteria but afraid of ammonia trouble again. Nitrite finally just dropped to near zero and ammonia has been absent since I used the remover.
Been using instant ocean on and off over 4 decades, ran LFS and used at Public aquariums and never have I seen or heard this. Its likely coincidental and associated with:
Water source
Overfeeding
Filtration/underfiltration
lack of denitrifying bacteria if complete sand siphoning done at water changes
decayed food or similar source

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't met a salt that doesn't have a slight amount of ammonia in it. It's considered inconsequential since it's rapidly or immediately consumed when added to an existing tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO has ammonia in it as a contaminant. Other brands do also, some don’t. It runs about 0.20 ppm and in an established tank, the nitrifying bacteria break it down in short order. More importantly, coppersafe and copper power will give ammonia readings of up to O.50 ppm right after dosing. This isn’t free ammonia and does not harm the fish, but it does confuse some ammonia test kits.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone sounds like I should just do a water change to reduce copper then.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using instant ocean on and off over 4 decades, ran LFS and used at Public aquariums and never have I seen or heard this. Its likely coincidental and associated with:
Water source
Overfeeding
Filtration/underfiltration
lack of denitrifying bacteria if complete sand siphoning done at water changes
decayed food or similar source
Hi Vette guy, I’m such a fan of all your post info, your community was so lucky to have a vender like you in the hobby!
I bet you could just float and release your fish!! Love watching your Tangs!
Debramb

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back