ammonia issues

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ultimate issue is that ammonia has never been zero. with that said, here is the backstory....

the tank is a 20 gal long that i cycled with dry rock and dry substrate sand. i went about 3 weeks without anything in it, to allow it to cycle itself. ive been using the suggestions of the LFS who is not pushing to sell sell sell, and is sincerely looking out for the safety of the tank, so i feel i can trust their suggestions.

after the 3 weeks had come, they thought it was a good time to add a couple fish, but no more, so i got 2 clowns. (ammonia-.25 nitrite-.25 nitrate-10-20 depending on what day it was checked) i kept it like that for a couple weeks and monitored water levels every day/every other day to ensure everything has been good, and not hurting the fish. about 2 weeks later, i was at a point where all of the readings were still good, and not fluctuating the ammonia or nitrite higher than it was previously. in fact. around this time, nitrite read a constant 0, which is how it is now. before doing a water change, my readings were ammonia-.25 nitrite-0 nitrate-10-20. after doing my weekly water change today, ammonia-.20 nitrite-0 nitrate-almost none.

so, here we are, 6 weeks or 7 weeks in, the tank has some sort of cycle going because nitrites are reading 0 continuously, but it seems that ammonia never goes to 0. however, it never goes about .20 or .25 depending on what test kit i use to check it (i have both the API and red sea test kits). ultimately, i have never seen ammonia levels spike crazy amounts, prior to nitrate being zero conintuously, ive never seen it go above .25, and nitrates have never been crazy elevated; 20 ish at the most.

the water i use is tap water. i have checked the water multiple times to see if that is where my ammonia levels are coming from, and the ammonia reads 0. this has been confirmed with multiple test kits. i do use seachem prime for the chlorine aspect of it.
once i started adding livestock, i originally started with 10 hermits and the 2 clowns. 2 weeks later, i added a bi color blenny and a cleaner shrimp (added to help with waste/cleanup), and just last week, i added a diamond gobbie to help clean any extra food that hits the bottom.
over the last week or so, i have limited the feeding and added the gobbie, to see if that is the cause. the changing of the feeding doesnt seem to have changed anything, and the gobbie is definately helping with the extra junk on the bottom that the shrimp/crabs cannot keep up with. all fish are doing well, and no stress or odd behavior that would indicate that tthey arent thriving in the conditions. most of them i have had for at least 5 weeks in the tank.

so, the ammonia situation is driving me crazy. it should be 0 by now. since the water has 0 ammonia in it before adding, there has to be something in the tank causing ammonia to stay steady. i use a turkey baster to remove any waste that i see so that it doesnt sit and fester. there are two theories that i have. originally i bought 10 hermits, but can only account for like 7. the other 3 might be hiding in the rock, but i havent gone through to be detective to find them all. the larger rock i have has many crevasses so they could be way up in it hiding. obviously this would be a cause of ammonia, but i dont know that it would be enough to keep it steady like it is. or perhaps its the rock itself.
other than the possibility of the hermits causing it, im wondering what the possibilities are that it is the rock? the rock was bought as dry rock from the LHS, and put directly in the tank after purchased.
since i am at a loss, as of today, i am going to start testing the possibility of the rock. i have removed the smaller rock to see what happens over the next week. if it doesnt change, i will take one of the other larger rocks out and see what happens then. i would think that maybe its a misreading, but it reads the same with two different test kits, and reads the same when i have had the LFS check it as well.

any thoughts or suggestions?
\

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ultimate issue is that ammonia has never been zero. with that said, here is the backstory....

the tank is a 20 gal long that i cycled with dry rock and dry substrate sand. i went about 3 weeks without anything in it, to allow it to cycle itself. ive been using the suggestions of the LFS who is not pushing to sell sell sell, and is sincerely looking out for the safety of the tank, so i feel i can trust their suggestions.

after the 3 weeks had come, they thought it was a good time to add a couple fish, but no more, so i got 2 clowns. (ammonia-.25 nitrite-.25 nitrate-10-20 depending on what day it was checked) i kept it like that for a couple weeks and monitored water levels every day/every other day to ensure everything has been good, and not hurting the fish. about 2 weeks later, i was at a point where all of the readings were still good, and not fluctuating the ammonia or nitrite higher than it was previously. in fact. around this time, nitrite read a constant 0, which is how it is now. before doing a water change, my readings were ammonia-.25 nitrite-0 nitrate-10-20. after doing my weekly water change today, ammonia-.20 nitrite-0 nitrate-almost none.

so, here we are, 6 weeks or 7 weeks in, the tank has some sort of cycle going because nitrites are reading 0 continuously, but it seems that ammonia never goes to 0. however, it never goes about .20 or .25 depending on what test kit i use to check it (i have both the API and red sea test kits). ultimately, i have never seen ammonia levels spike crazy amounts, prior to nitrate being zero conintuously, ive never seen it go above .25, and nitrates have never been crazy elevated; 20 ish at the most.

the water i use is tap water. i have checked the water multiple times to see if that is where my ammonia levels are coming from, and the ammonia reads 0. this has been confirmed with multiple test kits. i do use seachem prime for the chlorine aspect of it.
once i started adding livestock, i originally started with 10 hermits and the 2 clowns. 2 weeks later, i added a bi color blenny and a cleaner shrimp (added to help with waste/cleanup), and just last week, i added a diamond gobbie to help clean any extra food that hits the bottom.
over the last week or so, i have limited the feeding and added the gobbie, to see if that is the cause. the changing of the feeding doesnt seem to have changed anything, and the gobbie is definately helping with the extra junk on the bottom that the shrimp/crabs cannot keep up with. all fish are doing well, and no stress or odd behavior that would indicate that tthey arent thriving in the conditions. most of them i have had for at least 5 weeks in the tank.

so, the ammonia situation is driving me crazy. it should be 0 by now. since the water has 0 ammonia in it before adding, there has to be something in the tank causing ammonia to stay steady. i use a turkey baster to remove any waste that i see so that it doesnt sit and fester. there are two theories that i have. originally i bought 10 hermits, but can only account for like 7. the other 3 might be hiding in the rock, but i havent gone through to be detective to find them all. the larger rock i have has many crevasses so they could be way up in it hiding. obviously this would be a cause of ammonia, but i dont know that it would be enough to keep it steady like it is. or perhaps its the rock itself.
other than the possibility of the hermits causing it, im wondering what the possibilities are that it is the rock? the rock was bought as dry rock from the LHS, and put directly in the tank after purchased.
since i am at a loss, as of today, i am going to start testing the possibility of the rock. i have removed the smaller rock to see what happens over the next week. if it doesnt change, i will take one of the other larger rocks out and see what happens then. i would think that maybe its a misreading, but it reads the same with two different test kits, and reads the same when i have had the LFS check it as well.

any thoughts or suggestions?
\
Yes, don't worry about it. Ammonia can be read as 0.25 or similar very often. A lot of people say it is a false positive for some tests.

Given the actual possibility to read 0 on the API test kit though, my hypothesis is even if there is just a little bit of ammonia it registers greener than yellow, and that for most just reads 0.25. And the ammonia if there is any probably comes from the constant production of ammonia that is yet to be oxidized and thus measurable.

Either way whatever the explanation I would not fret about this, especially since the values are not increasing over time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

melon can you post a full tank pic when lights come on, we use details from that picture in this thread to help folks deal with misreads.

the problem is so pervasive it helps others to see their ghost ammonia issues resolved as fast, it helps earn peace for them and reefing enjoyment.

your test kit requires TAN conversion and after that, what you see as the reading is perfectly within spec as stated. Not applying the TAN conversion to the reading you see makes it look like the levels are too high.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

melon can you post a full tank pic when lights come on, we use details from that picture in this thread to help folks deal with misreads.

the problem is so pervasive it helps others to see their ghost ammonia issues resolved as fast, it helps earn peace for them and reefing enjoyment.

your test kit requires TAN conversion and after that, what you see as the reading is perfectly within spec as stated. Not applying the TAN conversion to the reading you see makes it look like the levels are too high

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found in collecting web patterns that as soon as someone reports a test kit reading as the ammonia problem and not death of animals/fish/inverts in the title, the post immediately belongs in that thread as a misread, fascinating patterns.

meaning I cannot find one reef in existence that meets the real concern, amazing. It’s not like we can choose some who qualify for the concern and some tanks that dont, all reefs show this pattern I guess until the days comes we get the total confirmation. But not in all those links within...

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, don't worry about it. Ammonia can be read as 0.25 or similar very often. A lot of people say it is a false positive for some tests.

Given the actual possibility to read 0 on the API test kit though, my hypothesis is even if there is just a little bit of ammonia it registers greener than yellow, and that for most just reads 0.25. And the ammonia if there is any probably comes from the constant production of ammonia that is yet to be oxidized and thus measurable.

Either way whatever the explanation I would not fret about this, especially since the values are not increasing over time.
i was thinking the same, after reading multiple times about the API being incorrect often enough. thats why i bought the red sea kit as well to confirm if it was the API kit. and even after that showing the ammonia readings, it made me curious as to the cause.
the responses i have recieved is the same response that i got from the LFS. "you might just be one of those instances where you have ammonia, but if its not rising any higher, and the fish are happy, then you should be fine". and i agree. obviously, if fish arent being harmed, then there isnt much to really worry about, i guess.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found in collecting web patterns that as soon as someone reports a test kit reading as the ammonia problem and not death of animals/fish/inverts in the title, the post immediately belongs in that thread as a misread, fascinating patterns.

meaning I cannot find one reef in existence that meets the real concern, amazing. It’s not like we can choose some who qualify for the concern and some tanks that dont, all reefs show this pattern I guess until the days comes we get the total confirmation. But not in all those links within...
i will be posting these under the thread you linked as well, but figured i would put them here for the reference of what i am getting.

here is a picture of the tank as it currently sits. i also included a picture of the API test reading that i just did a while ago. you will see that the closes reading is .25.
i also included a picture of the red sea test for ammonia. i put two pictures. the first is what it would look like if it were 0. the last one is the reading after letting it sit for the full time to get the reading. you will see that the closest reading is .2

the readings come out the same with another test kit, so i dont think the readings are wrong, but again, if livestock isnt dying, it cannot be too horrible.

Attachments

• 20210404_120827.jpg
    20210404_120827.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210404_121516.jpg
    20210404_121516.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210404_121909.jpg
    20210404_121909.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210404_122845.jpg
    20210404_122845.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 30

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back