Sustained Ammonia spikes are misreads

BRS

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
99.99% of the time

when someone posts a help thread for sustained free ammonia help, the title leads all peers to backing up their concern, no reported levels can be a misreading, this is the basis of nearly all ammonia troubleshooting in reefing forums.

Have you ever seen someone taking down their brand new MACNA display reef to pack up and go home because their salt mix was killing the tank with free ammonia? Or how about a pet store that can’t run or use it’s particular bag of salt due to lethal free ammonia levels? See how the hype is only on web forums... but never where money changes hands? The rules for ammonia control are independent from what folks think happens online, our aquariums are amazingly consistent not inconsistent regarding ammonia control after the cycle completes, for the life of the tank, without any supplementation needed (mother nature has feed acquisition handled)

Read the entire flow of this post, its an ideal outcome for a sustained ammonia alert post.

read this post, a real ammonia crash, see the cause, see what the tank looks like in pics

After having read both those initial links, on all future links as yourself this:
why do the tank pictures look so normal, every time, what's going on in pattern with reported ammonia noncontrol events>?

This thread will track example posts showing that no reef tanks have ghost sustained ammonia spikes even if our entry level test kits claim they do.

hallmark details in every post example coming: only a test kit causes alarm no other factors. No fish issues, bad smelling water, clouding, closed up tight animals, this thread will be solely misreads from test kits causing sheer madness. uncontrolled free ammonia kills your whole reef fast, it doesn’t pick off animals one by one over weeks time. That’s disease.

this ghost condition affects thousands of reefers but now thousands of reefers can compare their issues to patterns here and rest easy. Buy nothing. Anything that spiked your ammonia resolved in five minutes, ask a seneye owner.

the collection of reported sustained ammonia events can now begin and we look for patterns, prediction outcomes in each event.

Last edited:
Fritz
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
nh3 is the most rapidly uptaken molecule in your reef there is never tiny ‘burn level‘ amounts left unused. This doesn’t vary tank to tank it’s exactly the same dynamic tank to tank because we all use 10x the needed amount of activated surface area.

all ghost readings for low level ammonia in a post cycle reef are false. We will begin testing that now and log the patterns.

false api reading. see post title.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score

the entire thread above needs to be read to begin our hunt. Every post here though from various tanks in various states all share clues from this post.

*why/when/how titration kits misread isn’t our focus, we will show how tanks run fine because no nh3 is spiked and if it were, tank inhabitants die en masse. Plenty of posts work on the details of mis testing we focus on the tanks and the life inside here, using proofs other than test kits.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score

look at the prediction vs outcome.

OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Notice repeating clues tank to tank, it’s why the predictions work out

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score

study material. All reefs, thats 100% of reef tanks, can endure direct dosing of liquid ammonia it’s right there in twenty reefs.

they use seneye to show the conversion is about five minutes

and that’s why all stalled ammonia posts are wrong, because of what that thread above shows.

it’s not that some reefs lack proper surface area for rapid ammonia uptake even with spikes, it’s that 0% lack the ability and nobody is using reliable test kits, api and Red Sea will not help you here, they’ll send u into panic. Objective evaluation of every system will reveal a completely functioning filter that never faltered.

another, all same characteristics

not any reef listed in the next twenty pages will deviate from the predictable arrangement of materials and outcome. They all share one form of testing, though. Not any single cycle was affected here, they’re all false alarms.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
And now for a true legit issue, perhaps our only one

he added unrinsed old sand to his tank and all the fish died, see how nh3 and or bacterial rot compounds don’t have an irritation level, they have a kill your tank level or a controlled safely level, your active surface area doesn’t permit an in-between and when things do spike like above, they’re resolved in quick time but the damage from real nh3 is so devastating we dont even bother getting a test read. Nh3 wipes a tank when it legit spikes, you won’t need a test kit to tell you

thats what a real spike looks like, the tank tells you, not the kit.

****************notice how there are no sneak attacks in true ammonia wipes. We break a rule when a true recycling event occurs, and the condition would have not happened had the rule been kept

in false tank issue threads, only the test kit gives concern and they spend pages grasping at possible causatives

but above it was one action, adding in old sand into the top water, all fish died, then it resolved and no further losses occurred.

sandbed upwells are routinely associated with loss events in reefing its very stat significant zone of the rank to be casually flipping around for some reefs.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score

see how a threads title affects how the ammonia test is validated or not, that’s a new posting trait discovered we are reviewing here.

even a dead animal can’t send ammonia to .25 in a reef tank, seneye owners who lose fish in systems have shown the meter doesn’t change as the rocks, surface area, simply handle the increase.

bottle bac was sold/purchased due to that misread, ammonia misreads constitute probably 1/3rd of annual bottle bac sales incorrectly per my assessment. That is another trend we can watch for in the posts. Added bacteria have no where to attach, they just float around until skimmed, taking up more oxygen and reducing the overall surface area of the system temporarily until currents get it all exported and back to balance.

another

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
The way surface area works doesn’t just stop one day, it’s consistent for every tank.

****even in reef tanks where a legit insult like adding back old sand causes some loss, that condition is resolved in minutes due to surface area ability, nobody adds old sand and gets a fish wipe in two days, it’s within minutes of the action.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score

another, took four pages to fix (false read whole time)

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
We are never going to find a running reef with truly stuck ammonia at .25 or .5 or 8 ppm it’s all false reads. Active surface area doesn’t just stop working to allow the buildup and sustain.

ammonia events that legit occur, dead fish due to disease, resolve in a few minutes after the death is removed and water flow instated. The only test kits we own that can show the correct rebound rates are calibrated working and tuned seneye machines.

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Azenkendae repeatedly spurs on the fear in these posts, see below

Last edited:

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
What is causing the misreads and how do you explain the inconsistencies when the tests do show ammonia (i.e .25PPM) and then a follow on test a couple few weeks later shows 0 ammonia?

OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Show me the post where that occurred, as pics not as posted stated param readings. ~ I remember your post on stuck ammonia, we worked it for pages. It was never stuck.

api needs to be benchmarked with other kits for accuracy, we can see in the link example if other kits were used and we can check the context of the .25 with:

was the directions met on bottle bac # of days for cycling

how many days had the tank ran before the test

was any of it true live rock, which never allows a .25 other than on api

we can check to see if the water was clear, didn’t smell, on the original .25 misread that caused the alarm.

in all these links you can read above, we detailed how api is usually the root of these false alarms.

ammonia alerts are misreads:

Last edited:
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Case in point, your question on api was answered here:

You had live rock, which is skip cycle. You were shown this thread below on how skip cycles work, but skipped reading it due to the .25 which is understandable-false ammonia reads cause concern.

you met only the param reading portion for the concern, not the water, rocks age underwater etc, it’s how we know your reading was false and belongs in this thread. Only the kit said you had issues, not the tank. Ammonia issues cause clouding, smell and loss.

Im not seeing any pics for the .25 and the zero, only stated ranges.

Avast

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
I just did this test on the same tank
20210306_083325.jpg

OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Where’s the .25 pic before, from the thread showing green

I think we asked for it too in the thread

have you seen the posts where people do a simple water change and api shows .5

mixing up metabolites of some kind might be the issue, as nobody with a seneye agrees doing a water change, or moving rocks among tanks like yours is, causes free ammonia. Api testers report it so often google can show you thousands of misreads when compared to other kits. Your tank kept fish from the minute they were added.

another:

notice: we effectively rule out immediately any ammonia issues. He has none. We rule in fish disease buying him critical reaction time.

Last edited:

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Case in point, your question on api was answered here:

You had live rock, which is skip cycle. You were shown this thread below on how skip cycles work, but skipped reading it due to the .25 which is understandable-false ammonia reads cause concern.

you met only the param reading portion for the concern, not the water, rocks age underwater etc, it’s how we know your reading was false and belongs in this thread. Only the kit said you had issues, not the tank. Ammonia issues cause clouding, smell and loss.

Im not seeing any pics for the .25 and the zero, only stated ranges.
Please don't question whether or not I skipped reading. If you search my other posts, you will see that I have posted pics:

Thread 'Pic confirmation of false API ammonia readings' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pic-confirmation-of-false-api-ammonia-readings.803448/

I also responded to another post regarding the false API readings

Thread 'Tank transfer then ammonia spike at 0.25ppm.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-then-ammonia-spike-at-0-25ppm.804282/

OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
that guy transferred his old sand, I’d say that counts as metabolites kicked up.

I asked yet again for your mid cycle pic because we wanted the pic here to go along with that prominent yellow one above

and, I’ve already troubleshot your cycles in all examples, if you disagree even after all the links here, then good for api they’ve built a solid loyalty base for some. Looks like I wasn’t too far off base, all your fish are alive (skipped fallow, countdown = six mos)

in the end folks want to debate a test read, unverified with another kit, despite what google shows about api or threads here

but my whole thread is about the context of the reading, we must include that. Already live rock, clear water, all life added stays alive because it was cycled when you set the rocks in

notice how you have to exclude all that framing to make your test accurate?

all kinds of unstated things cause api misreads, it does not do any good to try and find them all. Adding prime in reaction to an initial .25 causes darker green for example, but I’m sure that didn’t factor here.

when only an entry level test kit says there’s a problem, and all the context says there isn’t, defer to the context. That should be the takeaway from reading all these false ammonia issues.

here's one, a misread known by description of system. didn't even need to see the test kit nor the tank pic.

Last edited:

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing! My question here..on this thread... is what would cause a positive reading, as shown here:
Thread 'Pic confirmation of false API ammonia readings' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pic-confirmation-of-false-api-ammonia-readings.803448/

and a negative reading as shown here: (that I just did)
20210306_083325.jpg

These tests are from Tank#1

My other question regarding a .50ppm reading was a cycling question on Tank#2. I didn't post a pic of that because I was in agreement with you and didn't feel like beating a dead horse

Please don't misconstrue my question as being an API Fanboy. I get that API give false readings and a .25ppm is nothing to be concerned about. I was not replying to this thread to debate you..just wondering what would cause a positive reading on one day and a negative reading on another day.

Avast
BRS

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 19 2.7%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 434 62.6%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 178 25.7%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 51 7.4%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.4%