Ammonia Pegged at 8.0 After 50% Water Change, Nitrate 10ppm, What's is happening!

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay 2 to 3 days ago everything was fine, normal tank. First sign something was up was my tank got cloudy for about a day, fish seemed lethargic and unwilling to eat. I ran my test and right away I noticed The Ammonia was as high as the test could read, I didn't believe it so I checked my other tanks and the Ammonia was 0ppm on those. So last night I used the half bag of salt I had left and did a 50% water change plus I opened both canister filters and changed the Purigen and The Fluval clearmax pack plus added new carbon. This morning I checked it again still pegged at 8.0 so I added the max dose of prime...Surprise no affect. Now this is not a reef tank, it's I grow and displace different Macroalgae's being in Florida shipping and selection are great. I do not think it's the algae I mean it has been in there awhile. I just ordered more salt from amazon (we have no local fish store} Does anyone have any ideas or a way to slightly reduce this crazy high ammonia. As you can see in the pics most of my fish are hiding which is very much not normal for them. I pray this tank doesn't crash soon

IMG_20220828_082132472_HDR.jpg IMG_20220828_082051228_HDR.jpg IMG_20220828_082057463_HDR.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do large water changes immediately. 50% of the problem is still there. Then find the cause. Also consider using another test kit to confirm.
***Edited. After rereading post, this tank is not a reef tank, and is being dosed with trace elements containing copper. While a water change won't hurt, it is not the solution to the problem. Advice updated later in the thread.***

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do nothing, at all, you have a false reading from a non digital test kit. it is impossible for that system to have a sustained ammonia spike, not possible, even from a dead fish. notice how all the tank is fine, no symptoms? misread, added here:

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Prime/Fritz Complete..Does this stuff really lower ammonia? bottle says in emergencies you can triple dose

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you’re stumped like this, I start thinking outside the box. External chemicals: Windex being sprayed and falling on the water. Aerosol sprays as well. Carpets being cleaned. Preventative bug spray etc. Family members, young and old who might not realize what they’re doing. Maids etc. good luck.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do nothing, at all, you have a false reading from a non digital test kit. it is impossible for that system to have a sustained ammonia spike, not possible, even from a dead fish. notice how all the tank is fine, no symptoms? misread, added here:

I did a control on my other tank and it read 0ppm plus my fish are acting weird and not eating

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't add prime, don't add bottle bac, simply take no action. here's how to manage your cycling parameters for the rest of this tank's life

do not run any more ammonia tests, it can't drift out of spec. Don't run any future nitrite tests. Simply look at your fish; if they die due to a disease (ammonia will never be the cause) then remove them, you can see they're missing from swimming in the water column, this is how you manage a multiple fish kill disease event. If one fish dies, nothing is going to happen even if you can't get it out. You do NOT have an ammonia issue in this aquarium, we can see in the pic.

your system uptakes any free ammonia added within 5 mins, it's gone, but your cheap tester is easily fouled by things kicked up during water changes we see over and over again, and it's not true ammonia. this is a misread.

notice in our study thread; all peers agree with the poster who posts an ammonia alert/the bacteria are always in deficit somehow in these posts but nobody who owns a seneye ever posted one, and we've never seen a single pic of a symptomatic tank either. for eight pages.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bstone

that control has no bearing on your matter. I'll leave you to work your chemistry challenge, I know you won't believe anything I tell you/neither did anyone from the study thread. your kits are mislead by compounds that get stirred up during water changes, those compounds aren't in drinking water, we wouldnt think your tests would show positive ammonia in drinking water. Your tank is a false ammonia read; there's literally nothing wrong with your tank and peers are about to have you in a state of permanent fear here :) but that's ok, we need something to study in pattern.

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Prime/Fritz Complete..Does this stuff really lower ammonia? bottle says in emergencies you can triple dose
They do not lower amonia, but bind to free amonia locking it up into non harmful amonia. Most test kits measure total amonia, so the amonia will still show up on the test kits.

You need a test kit that measures only free amonia.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a control on my other tank and it read 0ppm plus my fish are acting weird and not eating
Ammonia alert badges are useful because they measure free ammonia and are relatively cheap. This will confirm or refute the results from your total ammonia test. I wouldn’t fall for the “digital is best” cods wallop. Folks just calibrate the accuracy out of them till they get a result they like, making them pointless.

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't add prime, don't add bottle bac, simply take no action. here's how to manage your cycling parameters for the rest of this tank's life

do not run any more ammonia tests, it can't drift out of spec. Don't run any future nitrite tests. Simply look at your fish; if they die due to a disease (ammonia will never be the cause) then remove them, you can see they're missing from swimming in the water column, this is how you manage a multiple fish kill disease event. If one fish dies, nothing is going to happen even if you can't get it out. You do NOT have an ammonia issue in this aquarium, we can see in the pic.

your system uptakes any free ammonia added within 5 mins, it's gone, but your cheap tester is easily fouled by things kicked up during water changes we see over and over again, and it's not true ammonia. this is a misread.

notice in our study thread; all peers agree with the poster who posts an ammonia alert/the bacteria are always in deficit somehow in these posts but nobody who owns a seneye ever posted one, and we've never seen a single pic of a symptomatic tank either. for eight pages.
Thank you I did a bit of research and I am leaning your direction

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water indicates bacteria bloom, which lowers O2, which can cause fish to become lethargic. Increase surface agitation. Have you added anything new lately?

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert badges are useful because they measure free ammonia and are relatively cheap. This will confirm or refute the results from your total ammonia test. I wouldn’t fall for the “digital is best” cods wallop. Folks just calibrate the accuracy out of them till they get a result they like, making them pointless.
I will look into this. Thank you for your today

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully believe that cloudy water happens independently of any cycling issues, bc blooms, we see it routinely. it's neat you beat water clouding back to that clear above/that really looks laser clear and quite a delicate, balanced reef setup there really that's a stellar setup!

the plant balance in that tank alone would remove that ammonia, and then there's the giant rock stack dead center very quality rock, very high surface area, ammonia just oxidizes within 5 mins in that fine system.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*hey can you do us one favor pls: post the reading now from the ammonia kit so we can see the actual vial + indicator card in clear light. we need this to track the impacts of non digital testing on cycle challenges / need the pics in pattern to show the readings that cause these concerns

OP
OP
B

bstone026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully believe that cloudy water happens independently of any cycling issues, bc blooms, we see it routinely. it's neat you beat water clouding back to that clear above/that really looks laser clear and quite a delicate, balanced reef setup there really that's a stellar setup!

the plant balance in that tank alone would remove that ammonia, and then there's the giant rock stack dead center very quality rock, very high surface area, ammonia just oxidizes within 5 mins in that fine system.
Thank you I wanted something different besides coral, there are so many types of good algae that quite beautiful. Plus they absorb lots of other things as a benefit

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back