Ammonia spike

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

here I attached my test result my ammonia is high level.

please someone help me to reduce the level.

0F76B2C5-C7BD-4D4F-BA55-E49BAF4188EA.jpeg 4C2200BB-AB49-487F-8AFB-A91AC1B6EF16.jpeg 77F5BB93-CBD4-46EB-902C-47F3BFD588C2.jpeg

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more information please. Happy to help but need the whole story. New tank or is something dead? Heavy ammonia and nitrite. Are you cycling right now?

Water changes and Seachem Prime or Ammolock pretty quick (unless you're cycling a new tank without fish). If you're cycling, you need to wait and buildup bacteria that will remove ammonia and nitrite.

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cycling your tank? What do you have in there?

You're going to have to perform a few water changes until you get your ammonia to zero. Also get a bottle of Dr.Tim or ammonia eating bacteria something similar to this:

For water changes I would recommend the following schedule:
50% water change today - wait and retest
20-30% tomorrow - wait and retest
If ammonia is still high another 20-30% - wait and retest.

Sadly if you have livestock in the tank you might lose some or all of it.

Let me know if you have specific questions happy to help

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more information please. Happy to help but need the whole story. New tank or is something dead? Heavy ammonia and nitrite. Are you cycling right now?

Water changes and Seachem Prime or Ammolock pretty quick (unless you're cycling a new tank without fish). If you're cycling, you need to wait and buildup bacteria that will remove ammonia and nitrite.
8 months old tank, yes three of my fish died and I did %50 water change still same result, and I added more bacteria

OP
OP
R.J

R.J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you cycling your tank? What do you have in there?

You're going to have to perform a few water changes until you get your ammonia to zero. Also get a bottle of Dr.Tim or ammonia eating bacteria something similar to this:

For water changes I would recommend the following schedule:
50% water change today - wait and retest
20-30% tomorrow - wait and retest
If ammonia is still high another 20-30% - wait and retest.

Sadly if you have livestock in the tank you might lose some or all of it.

Let me know if you have specific questions happy to help
Yesterday I did %50 water change today also %50 but still same and I added more bacteria but still same, don’t know what to do

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I am mistaken, that’s an API test you are using. I do not trust that brand, at all, and would encourage you to get a 2nd opinion with another brand test kit, like Salifert, Red Sea or Nyos.

Perhaps your LFS or a fellow reefer can help you?

I find it very difficult to believe an 8 month old system, much less having had 2x 50% water changes within 48 hours, is having ammonium spikes.

Has there been a significant change to the system recently?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months old tank, yes three of my fish died and I did %50 water change still same result, and I added more bacteria
I agree with ichthyoid, unless, there's still something dead in the tank giving off ammonia that you haven't found. Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from a different test on the ammonia reading.

An 8 month old tank also shouldn't be zip on nitrate with those ammonia and nitrite readings. Something fishy here.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post pics

Fish died due to disease protocols most likely, fallow / qt etc

its likely resolved if the fish have been removed

ammonia self resolves fast once source is removed, api will lag in reporting the drop to safe

tank pics will show final call as to whether ammonia has resolved, not the test kits there

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully rest are ok

ammonia does predictable things even still. If those carcasses are removed and water is clear, other fish distributed normally, it’s already resolved. Pics are the ultimate ammonia proofer when seneye isn’t avail

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I did %50 water change today also %50 but still same and I added more bacteria but still same, don’t know what to do
It's a process and it will take time... multiple water changes and building up the nitrifying bacteria. Sadly you're basically restarting your tank and get ting the good bacteria re-established.

Back