Ammonia level not going up during new tank cycle

  • Thread starter Thread starter jc24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jc24

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2025
Messages
32
Reaction score
10
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my new 17g tank with one clown and a bottle of Dr.Tim bacteria. This is the 4th day, I test the water daily and ammonia, nitrite, nitrate level have been staying at 0. Is this normal? If not, what could possibly be wrong.
 
I use live sand and live rock btw
 
Bacteria needs ammonia to feed on. Add some ammonia, or a pinch of fish food, but ammonia would be slightly faster since you need to wait for the fish food to break down into ammonia.
 
Bacteria needs ammonia to feed on. Add some ammonia, or a pinch of fish food, but ammonia would be slightly faster since you need to wait for the fish food to break down into ammonia.
I have a fish in there and I put more food than what the fish can consume to boost up the process. So I guess just have to wait longer?
 
Ps- sorry I missed that you added a fish already which you should not have. Don’t add ammonia in this case. Wait for the fish to poop. 4 days is nothing it takes 3-4 weeks to cycle a tank. If you can return the fish to the store until the tank is cycled it would be better, the fish might not survive the cycle. Feed very small amounts to the fish so you don’t send the ammonia level too high which will kill the fish. Don’t add anymore fish for at least a month to let the bacteria level catch up
 
As Mr. Mojo said, your clown will not survive. I start my tank's with a piece of frozen cocktail shrimp. It takes up to 10 days for ammonia to show and it will start to go down around week two, but only slightly. IMHO ammonia doesn't start to really go down until 3 weeks. Once you read nitrites you're mid-to late cycle. I personally wouldn't add a fish until nitrites are zero and nitrates are being read consistently.

*stuff in a bottle is not a substitute for a full cycle
 
As Mr. Mojo said, your clown will not survive. I start my tank's with a piece of frozen cocktail shrimp. It takes up to 10 days for ammonia to show and it will start to go down around week two, but only slightly. IMHO ammonia doesn't start to really go down until 3 weeks. Once you read nitrites you're mid-to late cycle. I personally wouldn't add a fish until nitrites are zero and nitrates are being read consistently.

*stuff in a bottle is not a substitute for a full cycle

The tank was started well over 2 months ago now. While I do not think it’s a good way to cycle, I would not have said it won’t survive. Many people overestimate the lethality of ammonia.

In any case, maybe the op can now tell is what happened!
 
As Mr. Mojo said, your clown will not survive. I start my tank's with a piece of frozen cocktail shrimp. It takes up to 10 days for ammonia to show and it will start to go down around week two, but only slightly. IMHO ammonia doesn't start to really go down until 3 weeks. Once you read nitrites you're mid-to late cycle. I personally wouldn't add a fish until nitrites are zero and nitrates are being read consistently.

*stuff in a bottle is not a substitute for a full cycle

The tank was started well over 2 months ago now. While I do not think it’s a good way to cycle, I would not have said it won’t survive. Many people overestimate the lethality of ammonia.

In any case, maybe the op can now tell is what happened!
Did I miss something? OP said this is the 4th day
I’ll rephrase to “less likely” 😉
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new