ammonia skyrocketed? which one do i believe?

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3028.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go off the ammonia alert badge. API ammonia test kits are notorious for false readings. And alert badges are the only known test that can detect ammonia with any medications in the water.

OP
OP
Lissa1987

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdly enough, the tank i am cycling ( i dosed ammonia almost a week ago and stability daily) shows no nitrites or nitrates but still high ammonia...Ive been through almost 2 bottles of stability and still not showing and nitrite/ate

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime makes API ammonia positive! And that test always looks positive to me anyway, not reliable.

Crossfire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water? If you are using tap that has chloramine, the prime will bind to the chlorine part and leave the ammonia in the water.

Like everyone else said, the prime will also throw off your API ammonia test kit.

OP
OP
Lissa1987

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water? If you are using tap that has chloramine, the prime will bind to the chlorine part and leave the ammonia in the water.

Like everyone else said, the prime will also throw off your API ammonia test kit.
Yes I am using rodi water

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdly enough, the tank i am cycling ( i dosed ammonia almost a week ago and stability daily) shows no nitrites or nitrates but still high ammonia...Ive been through almost 2 bottles of stability and still not showing and nitrite/ate

Once your nitrifying bacteria colony grows to a size where is can process the ammonia, the ammonia comes down and the nitrates go up.

Yahtzee170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used an ammonia alert to monitor a cycle. One quick note is that the ammonia alert is measuring NH3 only, while API is measuring total ammonia.

I think it's possible that both tests were correct. I'm not sure what you're reading the API kit as, but at a pH of 8 and temp of 78, 0.25 ppm total ammonia is <0.02 NH3. Even 0.5 ppm might not change seachem, depending on other parameters.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go off the ammonia alert badge. API ammonia test kits are notorious for false readings. And alert badges are the only known test that can detect ammonia with any medications in the water.

With Prime - the API test will show a positive result.

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I find API ammonia test to be junk. Always seemed to show ammonia for me (same yellowish-green color), no matter the tank or its maturity. Made the mistake of buying it on impulse, never again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back